NGD - my first Fender Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by PaulHikeS2, Nov 27, 2020.

1. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

A couple months ago, I rebuilt a buddys battered mid 90s Squier Strat - replaced everything except the nut, trem claw, and pickguard, spending only $65 - I had challenged myself to rebuild it for $50, but I couldn't quite make that number. I never loved Strats, but this one I couldn't put down. Kept it for about 3 weeks for "testing", lol. Decided I needed a Strat, so before returning it, I bought this:

20201126_204847.jpg

Sadly, the junk shop Strat I rebuilt played and sounded better than a brand new one, so I was very disappointed. I was going to return it, but I kept it around because it's certainly a looker, IMO. Gradually, I figured out how to make it sing, made a simple pickup height adjustment, and learned to dial it in. Over the last couple weeks, unexpectedly it became pretty much the only guitar I played. Yesterday, just a couple days short of the return window I peeled off the plastic from the pickguard and made it official. I'll probably upgrade the pickups over time and change the wiring back to the traditional wiring that I prefer, but I think it will be a member of the family for a good long time.

Aggy, trax1139, GIBSON67 and 20 others like this.
  2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Nice, congrats.

3. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

What model is it? Made in where and what pickups?

4. PaulHikeS2

It's a Player series MIM - stock pups currently. Fit and finish is good, fret ends are finished nicely - far better than the Player Tele and Lead III that I currently own were when new.

I prefer the 2 point trem, the smaller headstock, and the truss rod adjustment on top so it was either the Player or the Professional, and this color was only available in the Player - plus it is less than half the price. I'll probably start researching upgrades to the pups in a few months.

5. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Nice. Diggin' the color.

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Good deal that is what most guitars need is to be set up right . You should check out a set of fender Tex mex pick ups

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  7. PaulHikeS2

Those are exactly what I'm considering. Reasonable price - I'm going to find some A/B comparisons with the stock Player pups.

8. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I have a set in my strat sound great . One of the best pick up for the price

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  9. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

congrats! I love the color!

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  10. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Yep, Surf Green with maple 'board :cheers:

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  11. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Congrats.

When you were upgrading, did you add springs to the trem cavity if you changed the string gauge?

Did you need to dress the frets or adjust the bridge; saddles; string height or neck angle?

I know when I did my prefered changes on my MIM Strat, the guitar became more of my own.

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  12. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of Strat upgrading. Love the Sea Foam Green. I guess for Fender to make them sound good out of the gate. Would cost too much.
    black strat.JPG

Far Rider, BanditPanda and PaulHikeS2 like this.
  13. PaulHikeS2

So far just changed the string tree for the American one, as the stock one was screwed down against the headstock without a spacer. The relief was good, just made a minor tweak to the intonation. When I get a new guitar, I leave it stock for a period of time, not even changing the strings. When I do the first string change, I address everything. This one just needs the frets polished as they are a bit scratchy, but I will probably change the nut as well. Even the fret ends are smooth. When I upgrade the pups, I will also change the knobs and switch tip to white which think will look better than the current aged white/parchment.

I will be keeping 9s on it, and I like the bridge angle, so no need to adjust the claw or springs. I hear you about making the little changes to make it your own. On my Player Tele (butterscotch/blackguard), once I shaped and installed a bone nut, polished and dressed the frets, installed a vintage string tree, and put in compensated brass saddles, it became MINE.

14. PaulHikeS2

Thanks - I like the pups in that one - I'll bet they sound awesome. I'll be keeping singles in mine when I upgrade as I want the traditional Strat sound.

jimmyjames likes this.
  15. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I did the personnal stuff to the Fender MIM Vintera Strat.

I'm going to play the Strat and leave it in the environment to have it adjust to it's new surroundings.

It's probably going to go through some changes.............then adjust again.

16. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Yeah, they sound great. Close to a Les Paul. I can switch from Les Paul To this Strat without having the change patches and settings. Was always a downer for me. When I would plug in a Strat and all of a sudden my rig sounded like shit.
    Will have a different tone and feel. But still sounds great.

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yep, I too wanted a Strat but ended up looking elsewhere than Fender. Some like them very much but I never dug them. The 2 best Strats I found were Suhr and Schecter, both need nothing. I ended up with the Schecter but only because I got one for $1000 (demo) I really like the color, I'd love to see one with a rosewood board. Why don't you like the pup's? I heard Fender came up with noise cancelling ones that sound good. The pup's in my Schecter are very good, just a little hotter than some but they want big $ for a set of them.

18. PaulHikeS2

The stock pups sound "fine". They initially sounded a bit dull and flat - raising the height helped. I'm looking for something a bit more glassy and more bite from the bridge. I won't change them right away - I'll keep trying to dial in my rig to get the sound I'm looking for.

19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on your new axe brother, love the color.
    They are surprisingly good instruments with a few tweaks.
    Cheers
    Mitch

trax1139, PaulHikeS2 and steveb63 like this.
  20. cozmacozmy

cozmacozmy Active Member

I'd stick with the aged white parts. Fits this green so much better the way it is. It really looks sharp!

PaulHikeS2 and jimmyjames like this.