NGD! Finally joined the Les Paul club!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Maggot Brain, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This just kinda randomly fell in my lap and I have to say it was LONG overdue.

2010 Epiphone Custom Shop Limited Edition Les Paul Studio in Natural Walnut finish.

I'd say about a year ago I saw a Les Paul Studio in the same natural finish and I have to say I love the look of a naked Les Paul. It gave me a little obsession to track one down eventually, I knew I wanted to get a Les Paul in my arsenal and I have matured enough to know not to settle. I've stumbled across quite a few really nice LPs and for great prices but non had this natural finish. Even the few times I was determined to pull the trigger on one I just couldn't find the right deal on this finish. I tried to convince myself to settle on a tobacco burst but I knew the natural wood finish was truly what I wanted and if I was going to add ANOTHER guitar to my "collection" it better be the exact one I want.... I found this on my daily Craigslist scan and noticed the seller was open to trades, coincidentally I was about to post my Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz up for sale so I figured why not try to trade? He agreed, I was out the door and drove the 45 minutes to his location. I had my expectations fairly reserved, I've heard so many good things about Epiphone but I still wasn't convinced, it's "made in China" after all. Soon as he opened the case it was like the glow from Marcellus Wallace's briefcase... It looked stunning, pictures just can't capture the depth and detail in the finish. It was a done deal after a thorough inspection, besides a few dings it was fantastic for being 14 years old.

I took her for a spin soon as I got home, wow.... I wanted to savor the moment and to bond some more with it so I did my ritual cleaning, polish frets, clean and oil the rosewood, clean all the metal, buffed and polished and finally brand new fresh strings.... This. Guitar. Wails... The quality and craftsmanship is outstanding and is by far probably one of if not THE nicest guitar I've ever handled let alone owned. The neck is FAT, the fattest neck I've ever felt even compared to other LPs I've picked up, up around the 12th fret it's a baseball bat. It has the "Epiphone Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock, I've read it's not a real custom shop like Gibson or Fender but this guitar is special. It is followed by a sticker "Hand Crafted in China" and a "QC" sticker, in my eyes Epiphone's statement that "Hey we take this serious". The bridge pickup is stinging hot and is contrasted by a smooth, mellow neck pick up, almost chimey, I am really impressed by this contrast of the two. I imagine being an Epiphone it has rather generic pickupa and electronics but I honestly love the way this sounds, they aren't microphonic so they are atleast potted. I have no desire to replace them. The volume controls are very smooth, no noise. The tone control are extremely liner, usable and effective, going from some treble rolled off to almost a cocked wah.

The. Sustain. My goodness! 9.4 lbs of SUSTAIN! Notes ring out for what feels like an eternity, hot, searing, stinging, cutting and lethal Les Paul tone... I have to admit I'm thinking I should have been at home on a Les Paul long ago. I love, love, loove the tone of Strats but I always find myself way more comfortable on the Gibson scale length. As slight as it may be, it makes a noticble difference to me and my ease of playing...This guitar just feels right, feels like MINE.

Any ways I could go on and on, I am blown away that this is an Epiphone. I will confidently say it is definitely on par with every Gibson I've ever played. I highly suggest anyone looking for a Les Paul, do not take these for granted, these are quality guitars.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Angry Possum, giblesp, jmp45 and 27 others like this.
  2. speyfly

speyfly Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! Sorry about yelling (smile)

Congrats...

tce63 and Maggot Brain like this.
  3. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

HNGD Congrats! :applause:

That's a beautiful Lester! I really like the natural finish.

Yeah LP's just seem to sustain forever, especially once you have a little gain on them. I've often felt like I could just let mine sit while going to make a coffee and the last chord would still be ringing out when I came back. :D

Maggot Brain likes this.
  4. fitz288

fitz288 Space-Time Curver Silver Supporting Member

LP + Origin20 + volume = yeah, baby!
    Nice score - I'm diggin' the natural finish & black OC pups!

5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

Nice, congrats! :yesway:

6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Epiphone's are certainly worthy guitars. I have a 2016 LP Custom PRO and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it at all.

:hbang:

Maggot Brain likes this.
  7. Maggot Brain

Thanks guys! This has been a really exciting and special new (to me) guitar experience.

It's extremely motivating and inspiring playing something that sounds and feels completely different from what I've been playing my whole life. I've already bonded and feel at one with it, hard to explain but it just feels like "My guitar" unlike any guitar I've owned before. I'm having fun just thinking about the ways I can upgrade and further make it my own. I have always loved the look of the old school "Tulip" Kluson tuners on the Les Pauls and couldn't resist swinging by the local guitar store and picking up a set. I imagine in time I will upgrade the the bridge and saddles, just something higher quality although the stock ones feel pretty solid, no sharp edges, no flaking or corrosion but I'd still probably feel better physically. The previous owner recomended upgrading the pickups, which makes sense but to be honest I really love the sound of these stock ones, he complained that they can be noisy but I've yet to encounter that unless I'm standing right up against another electronic.

Do any of you guys have more information or personal experience with "Epiphone Custom Shop"? From what I read it's just a sales gimmick for limited or special finishes. Does anyone know what pickups it likely has? I've yet to tear that deep into it and not really finding any guitars like this one online to compare to or atleast with any details.

*Columbo voice* "oh yes one last question!" Is it correct that it's mahogany with maple top? I'm not too familiar on wood types and their woodgrain.

YES! I now get why people say "Marshall+LP=Heaven" it is a magic combo and pure rock and roll bliss. The amount of power you feel hitting the E and A chords with the volume dimed... KARANG!!! You feel like you own the world baby and ain't no one gonna stop you... but maybe "The Man".

Now i'm just waiting for the neighbor to leave so I can properly fire up the Vintage Modern and 1960A! She hasn't stepped outside the house in 3 days, she's a hermit 100%.

Mystic38 and fitz288 like this.
  8. Maggot Brain

I forgot to mention I swung by a buddy's of mine who owns a '17 or '18 Gibson Les Paul Studio to do a quick comparison for curiosity's sake. They felt like they weighed about the same if not the Gibson being a tad lighter. The Epiphone definitely sustained longer and more pronounced and I don't know what's up with Gibson but the neck and the fretwork was no way on par with Epiphone, he was actually kinda annoyed with the Gibson after he personally played and compared the 2.

Maybe I just got lucky for once and got one of those special gems, it's a phenomenal guitar.

Also got a ceremonial new guitar strap, which I think compliments it beautifully and I love roses on things.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  9. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I think we all can agree that Gibson makes quality instruments, but as with anything...be it guitars, cars, TV's, or even toenail clippers...there's bound to be one here & there that comes off the assembly line with a flaw or two. Nothing is perfect, even Gibson guitars, lol.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  10. fitz288

fitz288 Space-Time Curver Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps your buddy should get a $75 set up done.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

love the natural wood. i would be to tempted to sand and burn the wood a bit.
    then reseal.

12. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fold.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  13. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Hngd! Always a great day

Maggot Brain likes this.
  14. Maggot Brain

Thanks again guys!

I couldn't leave well enough alone and tackled the Kluson tuners myself... They came out ok, I really love the look of the Tulip tuners and couldn't resist. I probably should have had a tech/luthier install them to get them more accurately fitted but they get the job done.... Good enough for rock n roll!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was too excited to wait.

*edit*
    Holy hell, I was reading about Gibson tuners just to educate myself more, seems my attempt at installing these are pretty Gibson accurate! :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Hotrodd, GregM, mirrorman and 3 others like this.
  15. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

HNGD, very nice for sure!! After wanting an LP since the 80's I finally pulled the trigger myself a couple months ago on an Epi Standard 60's. It also plays and sounds fantastic especially after dialing it in. I'm planning on pulling the covers on the pups and possibly getting a SD SH5 Custom for the bridge to make it more my own. More fine tuned for a hot rodded 70's-80's rock-metal LP. There is a certain magic with LP's and Marshalls for sure. :cool:

Maggot Brain likes this.
  16. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Nice Epi LP and congrats! Very unique finish/natural. Among the guitars I've owned and played, I don't ever remember playing a Les Paul. I have a 1959 Epi LP on order, but checking local CL for something to drop. Rock out...

Maggot Brain and tce63 like this.
  17. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

HNGD, Congrats.
    Looks great

Maggot Brain likes this.
  18. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Congrats.

Incredible beauty of grain on natural wood.

:applause:

Maggot Brain and tce63 like this.
  19. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I used to have an SG with the Epiphone Custom Shop logo on it. Far as I could tell at the time, it had little real meaning.

That being said, yours is a beauty. Looks like a nice maple cap and a lovely, unique finish. I'd be proud to rock that axe anywhere - happy NGD!

Maggot Brain likes this.
  20. Maggot Brain

Thanks!

I played for hours yesterday and quite a few of them standing yesterday... Holy hell am I sore, my shoulder, my back, my body ache haha.

Thanks! It's a real treat and the more I look at it the more I love it. Thanks for chiming in on the wood, that's what I was guessing but not confident enough in my wood ID skills. It looks like solid maple with the maple cap?

Thanks! I've rarely seen Les Pauls in this finish, I saw 1 maybe a year ago that started this whole bug. The fact that now I own one for a simple pedal trade is pretty frigging cool. For me the style of a LP and the wood grains just looks incredible, I've always like natural finish on some guitars but this is the quenicetial in my opinion.

Pull the trigger! You've never played a LP? I highly suggest it. I've been a life long Strat player religiously and I really regret not owning a Les Paul sooner. I've picked them up here and there and owned an Epiphone LP briefly in my teens but never appreciated it. I get why they are legendary like the Strat and other classics.

Edgar Frog and Hotrodd like this.