NGD, finally joined the Gibson Les Paul camp

PelliX

Reaction score
So, without further ado (because I didn't buy the damn thing to snap pictures of it, but to play it), here's my new Gibson Les Paul Tribute:

Finish: Cheap, not the high gloss stuff you find in the more expensive models. No problem, just sayin'.
Pots: Feel OK, probably not the best, still need to take the covers off and see what lurks beneath.
Switch: Already dodgy, showroom model. Replace that soon.
Switch plate: For some reason Gibson doesn't mount these by default. I asked in the shop whether they had one, eventually they found a knock-off. Awesome... then I noticed Gibson do include it in the bag. Why it's not there by default, I have no clue. Really 'finishes' the look to me.
Pickups: Same as the Studio series. Very nice, actually.
Fretwork: Excellent, what I would expect from a decent Gibson.
Fingerboard: Little rough on the edges where it's glued to the neck. That'll wear down soon enough.
Body: Single piece of wood. Nice. Two-part top.

Comes with a very cheap strap that says Gibson, but in totally different writing. No idea. Ah well, pics or it didn't happen:

full

First pic is actually just outside the shop. ^

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

I must also say, the bag is pretty decent. I was expecting something flimsy like most Fender bags (still a Fender fan, nothing changed, guys...!).

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
HNGD! Congrats! Looks like a tone machine! The gig bags those come with now look pretty sweet!

Apparently they call these 'Soft Cell Cases'. Soft Cell just reminds me of Tainted Love... maybe that's just me. :shrug:

But yeah, sweet bag. Only downsides are the dodgy switch (meh, replace that in a day or two) and the strap that looks too cheap to go on a Cort. The edge on the fretboard will wear down, or I'll take care or it myself the quick way. Frets themselves are perfect!

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Pots in this tribute will pcb mounted if it’s one of the newer ones. They work fine I’ve found and are quite responsive.
I have a 2021 model. My mate has a 2013 with proper pots and caps hand wired.
HNGD enjoy it 😁

PelliX

Reaction score
So was it drilled for pick guard but not installed? yeah seems a bit odd.

Maybe my (Fender oriented) terminology is misleading - I'm referring to the TREBLE/RHYTHM switch plate (which you see installed). By default, they come without it installed, but in the bag for whatever reason. Pickguard is and was firmly installed.

I would spray some deoxit in the switch before replacing it. The Gibson ones are actually pretty robust and Ive never had one actually fail even with attempting the Randy Rhoads toggle tricks lol.

No, it's dodgy as in loose - rattling. It makes contact in all three positions "OK", but I'll see what's going on tonight. Hardly a show stopper - probably clumsy 12 year olds doing the RR thing did this to it.

I have a 2021 model. My mate has a 2013 with proper pots and caps hand wired.

If it's PCB, I'll hand wire it while I replace the pots. So far, they're fine. All cool. :)

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HNLPTD!
Finish is "satin" nitro. (lol - I like mine)
Tributes don't come with the "poker chip" switch plate, I got a pair from Ambazon that has a black lettering one and a gold lettering one.
Yes to PCB controls - pups are plug wired, so you'll have to chop that off, or get connector harness to hand wire in pots.

PelliX

Reaction score
HNLPTD!
Finish is "satin" nitro. (lol - I like mine)

Yeah, thanks!

Tributes don't come with the "poker chip" switch plate, I got a pair from Ambazon that has a black lettering one and a gold lettering one.

You mean, yours didn't have it included at all? I found it in the bag, after getting the guy in the shop to check for one (cream, matching the pickguard). This has gold lettering which sort of matches the knobs. The one he found in the shop was identical, but a knock-off. Couldn't tell the difference, honestly.

Yes to PCB controls - pups are plug wired, so you'll have to chop that off, or get connector harness to hand wire in pots.

Figures. Ah well, keeps one off the streets, eh. :)

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean, yours didn't have it included at all? I found it in the bag
Well, I got mine used at my local GC.
Gig bag (same as yours, but brown) was completely empty - no case candy.
But the Gibson page does not show one for my model year.
I don't think you mentioned the year on yours, and I don't see a serial # close up pic.
Maybe some came with, and some didn't?

PelliX

Reaction score
Well, I got mine used at my local GC.
Gig bag (same as yours, but brown) was completely empty - no case candy.

Right, figures.

But the Gibson page does not show one for my model year.
I don't think you mentioned the year on yours, and I don't see a serial # close up pic.
Maybe some came with, and some didn't?

S/N: 209710040. Would be funny of them not to include it, at least optionally, but what do I know about their marketing, haha.

EDIT: The link you posted does, in fact, mention it: "Switch Washer Cream (not mounted)". So it is included by default, I guess - Gibson aren't *always* the bad guys they're made out to be, eh.

EDIT #2: Added detailed pics of the switch, circuit board and headstock in 1st post.

Last edited:

Eric'45

Reaction score
Ah, I knew you would find one that's right for you! Congrats on that purchase.
About the Satin finish: It's obviously a more cost- efficient way of doing a Finish, since there's no need for polishing, but that does not mean it's worse than high- gloss. Many prefer the feel of satin Lacquer, especially at the back of the Neck. If you can see the wood grain, (as it's the case), the matte finish can be really beautiful.

If you change the wiring anyway, I suggest to do the 50s wiring. It fits the guitar, and you may like it, since it makes the Guitar sound a bit more twangy and Tele- Like.
That's what it's about.

PelliX

Reaction score
About the Satin finish: It's obviously a more cost- efficient way of doing a Finish, since there's no need for polishing, but that does not mean it's worse than high- gloss. Many prefer the feel of satin Lacquer, especially at the back of the Neck. If you can see the wood grain, (as it's the case), the matte finish can be really beautiful.

Yup, cheaper, not worse. The thing is, those finishes never last long in my hands before they end up "polished" by accident. It's really nice on the neck indeed, but it won't break my heart to lose it after a while. Apparently some people have aggressive sweat, more acidic or something like that. Maybe I have that.

If you change the wiring anyway, I suggest to do the 50s wiring. It fits the guitar, and you may like it, since it makes the Guitar sound a bit more twangy and Tele- Like.

Hadn't looked in to that at all, but I like the 'twangy Tele-like' description enough to bear it in mind and try it when the time comes (I'm not touching the wiring until a pot goes - then I'll do the lot). Thanks. :thumb:

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Right, figures.

S/N: 209710040. Would be funny of them not to include it, at least optionally, but what do I know about their marketing, haha.

EDIT: The link you posted does, in fact, mention it: "Switch Washer Cream (not mounted)". So it is included by default, I guess - Gibson aren't *always* the bad guys they're made out to be, eh.

EDIT #2: Added detailed pics of the switch, circuit board and headstock in 1st post.
Out of interest do your cavity covers sit lower than the surface finish?

Both my lp tribute and special tribute covers sit lower than the actual body. I assume it was due to paint/lacquer thicknesses?

PelliX

Reaction score
Out of interest do your cavity covers sit lower than the surface finish?

Both my lp tribute and special tribute covers sit lower than the actual body. I assume it was due to paint/lacquer thicknesses?

Yes, they do by a fraction of a millimeter. They also have about the same amount of play sideways, so maybe the measurements are indeed intended to work on guitars with much thicker finishes, too. Would make sense, I guess. :)

PelliX

Reaction score

Latest posts