NGD! "Black logo" strat

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by kamran, Jan 16, 2014.

1. kamran

kamran Well-Known Member

well, not technically a new guitar. i bought it from one of my teachers a few years ago for cheap, and planned on just fixing it up slowly. electronics were a mess, neck was weird, and the trem would make the guitar go out of tune after about 5 strums. seemed like easy enough things to correct and a good project guitar for a beginner.

i ended up being in over my head, so the guitar basically became eye candy for a few years. lately ive been on a strat kick (love the twang) and started doing some research on this particular strat (all i knew was that it was made in mexico in the mid 90's).

i knew the hard ware was crap, i knew the electronics were crap, but i didnt know if it was made with shit wood or not. if it was, it wouldnt have been worth the money but i learned that these are actually made with bodies and necks that were rough shaped at the california factory and sent to the mexican plant to be finished. knowing that it was made with quality wood was the green light to spend some money and finally get it set up into playing condition.

got it back from the tech today and after a full set-up and a rewire, it sounds and plays great! very stratty. little bit of buzz, lots of twang. my Les Pauls arent too happy with me right now :D

Attached Files:

StratoMarshall likes this.
  2. kamran

kamran Well-Known Member

ipad is only letting me attach one pic per post :mad:

Attached Files:

Vinsanitizer and StratoMarshall like this.
  3. kamran

kamran Well-Known Member

but here she is :hbang:

Attached Files:

StratoMarshall likes this.
  4. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Looks like fun!

5. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I actually like that pickguard with the black finish. Pretty!

6. kamran

kamran Well-Known Member

Oh it is. Its a much nicer neck than my squier, although my squire has better pickups (surprisingly good sounding single coils). My squier won't see much play time until I route it out for a HB.
    Thanks! I call it mother of toilet seat :D

7. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ----------------------------- Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

[​IMG]

:hmm: Hmmm. That's a pretty cool looking Fender Catostraster if you axe me. :yesway:

8. kamran

kamran Well-Known Member

Catostraster :lol: gonna have to remember that one. Goes great with my Pes lolz.

I don't think its the stock pick guard, as these most likely came with single ply ones, but whoever changed it had a pretty good (and unique) eye for strats. Now its grown on me.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  9. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

like that alot !! very nice ....

10. kamran

kamran Well-Known Member

Why thank you, kind sir.:D

She's a player. I love strats with the SSS configuration because if I want them to drive my amp hard enough to crunch then I have to beat the hell out of the strings. In a good way though. Makes for a VERY dynamicplaying experience, going from ballsy hot fiery power chords to chimey clean all just bypicking softer. I can do a lot of dramatic build ups and such this way. The ceramic single coils remind me of my P90s with a little more twank and less output.

Put her through the paces yesterday cranking my superlead into oblivion, she aced the test. I got very into it and (seeing as how I have the really dig in to crunch with this guitar) ripped my thumb openon her. I looked down and saw blood all over the pick guard and as weird as it is, it was kind of an immediate bond with the guitar.