NGD, and a heart attack

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GregM, Jan 20, 2021.

1. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

So I caved, and after lusting for the Sheraton 2 pro for so long, I went for the cheaper ( 1/3rd the price) option.
    This is the Baby next to my Double Jet( love) and my solid body lp knock off ( don't love)
    IMG_20210120_212936.jpg
    Love the playability, the neck is awesome, seems to thin down faster than my Gretsch.
    IMG_20210120_212413.jpg
    Haven't quite got the sound right yet, Is a high action but I set up all mu guitars like that, I haven't looked but I think it might be hotter humbuckers.
    I have the amp set the same for what I love with my Gretsch, and set the guitar up the same ( pup height and action) and the clean channel sounded brilliant, and I mean brilliant.
    The high gain channel sounded awful, and I mean awful. I lowered the pups on the low end side and it sounded good clean with od ( sounded bad on prelim test too) but less bad but still bad on ultra gain channel, needs more tweaking ( high notes still sound good but the low end, omg its abysmal)
    My only concern with the guitar ( which cost like 400 bucks aus, I assume 270 odd us and has coil splitting, I love the bridge single coil the neck humbucker!) is I think the pups are like 2mm offset.
    IMG_20210120_212333.jpg
    Not sure if this is a death sentence, but atm, love it but needs tweaking.
    Oh and the strings, omg, 10 52s I think, like acoustic strings but with less tension, omg I love the strings

2. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Sorry, the heart attack part, I've been checking courier status, and I'm thinking damn, I need to pick it up from depot, it's here a week early and I'm still on day shift.
    So I checked at 1130 am today, item has been delivered, note Atl.
    Now I'm assuming atl is authority to leave and I'm like wtf, what authority, so I bail up my supervisor, make him do my job for half an hour while I bolt home, luckily it's still on the doorstep ( I'm in a low income area, or a shit hole if u will). Sorry, that was the heart attack

3. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Glad you didn't have a real heart attack! Congrats on the new guitar, nice sunburst!

I am curious as to why you are using a hollow body guitar with the high gain channel? When I play mine I am usually doing some rockabilly type stuff either clean or a little od. I find if using a little heavier od then adding a delay in the loop sounds really good, it makes a huge difference.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

Definitely looks like the spacing is off towards the high E side.
    Strings look centered on the neck, but the screw poles don't quite line up.
    As if they are F spaced pups?

5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Play in good health.

Congrats.

6. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Because it's there! Haven't had a coil splitting guitar till now so trying to see everything it can do, lots of variables with a MV on the guitar plus coil splitting

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on your new axe glad the heart attack thing was because of the delivery.
    Play it in good times my friend.

GregM likes this.
  8. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Congrats on your New Guitar Day . Your post struck a note with me as far as leaving instruments on the door step or mailbox as it's a no go in my neck of the woods as well . What I do that works well for me in the States is that I have all instruments sent to the UPS Store and it is in a safe and secure environment and then I have to show I.D.and sign for it as well . Works very well , save for the noisy neighbors and one of them even made a comment to me one day which I just shrugged off . The same individual did give me several comments on my playing due to the 2 - 2555X half stacks blasting away . As far as I am concerned the less the neighbors know the better . As I have winners all around me (not)

Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.
  9. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

OK so, fuggin loving this thing to death, I thought I had heard great cleans from my haze and my Gretsch ( mic) but OMG, I have just started hammering the good ol chord progressions again, and I mean hammering.
    And it sounds so fuggin amazing, and this is with a Lil dsl5cr, I'm forgetting the od pedal on songs like " wind crys Mary" " Hit me with your best shot" and of course acadaca and link wray's rawhide, and omg I think it sounds better sans od.
    400 Aussie bucks and omg! Vs 1200 for a sheraton pro 2 ( it's not as pretty but still pretty cool)
    For the price, ( and yes it matters) I give it a 5 gazillion out of 10.
    But, probably not as versatile as the Gibson or Epi but..... Omg, this guitar has made me want to play open simple chord progressions again, and it's bloody killer

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.