NGD Agile "gold" top..

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jvm210guy, Jan 9, 2014.

1. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

I spent about 400 dollars on this thing. I had probably high expectations, because I've heard a lot of good things about Agile. When I looked at the Rondo Music website I was surprised at how cool the guitars looked. So, I took a risk..

Ok, I'll start from the top down.

The headstock is actually really nice. I was worried that it was going to look cheesy, but no it looks cool. The mop inlay is very nice, and I dig the shape of the headstock a lot. The binding on it is better than I thought a 400 dollar guitar could be. The tuners are great high quality and the nut is perfectly good.

[​IMG]

The fretboard I had an issue with. There was tons of black shit on the fretboard, and it was all over my fingers after test playing it. I immediately took off all the strings to wipe the fretboard down. After I did that though the neck looks very nice. It's the mot porous ebony neck I've seen, still smooth and solid, but definitely not high quality ebony.

The mop trapezoid inlays are very nice. However, they were not put in perfectly, you see where they had to use some filler to even out the edges. Overall not bad.

The neck is slim, and not a good slim. It's slightly unstable. So, if I move the guitar slightly while playing the string tuning goes sharp or flat. This is obviously very annoying. However, it's more of a shift in pitch, so it's not really going out of tune.

Otherwise, the frets are masterfully done the binding is SURPRISINGLY neat. A playable neck, surprisingly decent!

[​IMG]

The body, well I don't have much to say. It's nice... The heal is my favorite part of the look. They weren't trying to be like a Les Paul. It's much lower, and has a sexy curve. The hardware is ok, but the plastics is "meh". Ya, the plastics are shit color wise.

I'm going to nitpick on one thing though. The top carve sucks. It can be a flattop and it wouldn't make a difference IMO. It's there but I guess I'm accustomed to a nicer top carve. Just a little bit of nitpicking...

[​IMG]

Other than that it has a nice two piece back and one piece mahogany neck. Very nice grain to it. I'm impressed with that..

[​IMG]

Other than that as far as looks go it has the worst finish on a guitar I ever owned. The gold top looks puke green as I turn it and look from different angles. It's awful.. I mean, wtf am I supposed to do about that though...

The tone is ok. Nothing special, but not bad at all.. It's definitely playable. I'm going to turn it up tonight, and really play it...

It might be a good guitar to have around, and I won't have to worry if it explodes on accident.

Well the eventual thing to mention is how does it compare to a LP. It doesn't, the Les Paul is worlds away in quality, WORLDS! This is, for me, an affirmation of why Gibson is such a legendary guitar manufacturer. But, I didn't buy this because I can't afford a Gibson. I wanted to check out a well talked about guitar manufacturer...

Anyway, it's an ok guitar so far..

Theo 413, blues_n_cues and stax like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

How about the weight, how many pounds? So if you had gotten the model with the fatter neck, replaced the plastic and pickups, gotten a different color, then what would you have said about it?

Send it back and get a different model from them like the standard AL2000, those ones were like a little over $200 last time I looked.

3. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

I'm not complaining, I'm giving my honest opinion. I'm not returning it, this is what you get.. Completely playable guitar.. The weight is fine at around 9.5lbs..

4. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

:hmm: I'd go for an Epi then. I definitely have never felt short changed. An Epi Custom can be had for less than $600 new. $300-$400 used.

I'll pass on this "Agile" business...

5. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

Congrats...I guess

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

I used to be someone that thought Rondo/Agile was the best budget stuff out there, but the more I read about it, the more I see mixed reactions when compared to other well-known brands like ESP, Schecter, Epiphone, Squier, and Ibanez. There's probably some really good Rondos out there, but since there's no final QC, you have to get pretty lucky.

Not to rain on your parade jvm, but it's just something I noticed. If you ever want to return it because things bother you too much, I hear Kurt from Rondo is very good with returns and refunds.

The Ozzk and jvm210guy like this.
  7. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Ya,

That's a fair statement, man..

Otherwise, you can't get mop inlays, ebony fretboard, and I'm pretty sure binding on most Epiphones are painted on. IMO, quality is about the same though, because I feel the same about Epi LP's..

The Ozzk likes this.
  8. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

I hope you guys appreciate my honesty. I know some people automatically feel that they need to justify a purchase. I'm just being honest in hopes that other people who look to get one of these guitars gets an honest opinion.

If your looking to get a playable guitar with decent appointments, well this might be the guitar to get. However, DO NOT expect Gibson quality, that would be foolish.

The Ozzk likes this.
  9. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

if ya talking about good quality budget guitars get a play on "chord" guitars next time ya in a guitar store , I got a sg recently and have not found anything about this guitar that I don't like - great tone , nice neck , and very nice sounding pickups , and plays very nice , and in the week I've had this its had many hours of playing , and i'm still loving the tone , a great neck pickup tone and the bridge pick up has a lovery rasp to it

jvm210guy likes this.
  10. pavs

pavs Active Member

Cool man, if that's what you want for a "beater" fair enough. I just think that life's too short to dance with "fat chicks" if you know what I mean.... LOL
    I reckon we should all look forward and not backwards, I rather save, buy another CS and make my Standard a beater, in fact that's what I did...
    Play hard mate...
    \m/

jvm210guy likes this.
  11. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I appreciate the honesty, but I don't understand why you're keeping it. Sounds to me like the neck is a real issue for you, and if that's the case now, it'll be the case forever. I'd probably consider returning / exchanging it for something you'll like more now and in the long run.

The Ozzk, blues_n_cues and jvm210guy like this.
  12. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Nah, I knew I was getting into a questionable situation with this guitar. That's just the nature of it. I've played Epi's in the same price range that do less, so I'm good. I have a lot of nice guitars, and nothing is going to compare.

Someone above said, they would rather save money to buy a custom shop. That's a good point, but I don't need to save up. I'm furtinate, I can get what I like now. This was an experiment for me, I mentioned that before I recieved it.

Honestly this guitar is playable, and passable. If I haven't played the good stuff I'd be ecstatic.

I'm going to record a clip of it today...

13. crossroadsnyc

Yeah, but won't the tuning stability bother you? There are some really cool guitars in that price range out there that won't give you the same issues. I'm not doing anything but playing devils advocate btw., so don't take offense / feel like I'm challenging you on this.

jvm210guy likes this.
  14. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

There's no parade to rain on. I'm going to play it. I'm not going to exchange it, because that's what they're offering.

I never said this guitar was unplayable, if it was it'd be gone..

I think you guys are misinterpreting my post. This is an honest review of a 400 dollar guitar. It's playable, and I can gig it.. This isn't a luxury guitar that I spent thousands on, that demands certain expectations..

My hopes for this guitar was to have a nice looking guitar that was playable.. Mission accomplished.. :)

15. crossroadsnyc

I like the headstock on it.

jvm210guy likes this.
  16. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Nope, that's a great point.

Ya as I mentioned it slightly changes pitch. It doesn't get out of tune. I've played guitars with thin necks that do the same... Its hard to explain and it's only annoying it's not a functionality problem..

17. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

It's not bad, I like it too...

18. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

I get the same thing on certain guitars. it's more a hands used to that particular neck issue. kinda like going from a fat 50's Gibson neck to a regular Strat neck.

jvm210guy likes this.
  19. sccloser

sccloser Well-Known Member

The neck stability issue would be the deal killer for me. That is why I sold my 61 SG Reissue and any other SG I had with the smaller neck joint. I just cannot stand that as I apparently put a little pressure on the neck as I play.

I have never had an Epiphone with painted on binding.

As far as the MOP inlays, I think StewMac sells those for about $40, so if that really bothers you about an Epi you could change them out I suppose.

The biggest knock I have heard against the Agiles is the intonation is sometimes hard to adjust because the bridges are not always mounted in the correct location. From what I hear it is kind of hit and miss.

Folks around here sell Epi LP Customs used for anywhere from $250 to $400. I bought my Korean made Epi Black Beauty Custom (BB3), the three pickup model, used with Epi hard case for $375. That is why I have stayed away from the Agile stuff because of the availability of good, used, cheap decent quality Epi Customs.

I guess the biggest benefit you got is the ebony board. I love ebony, but the Epi Customs have rosewood boards. Can't have it all on a budget I suppose... ;)

Anyway, hope you enjoy it and get some use out of it. I turned my Epi into a smoking stage trick guitar. :D

The Ozzk likes this.
  20. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

my sg is very sensitive to neck movement as well.

jvm210guy likes this.