NGD $60 who could pass it up

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Sg-ocaster, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

So browsing assbook garage sale my fiance says "hey is this guitar good"?
    Its an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. with a HB in the bridge listed for $75 with a tiny amp. She grabbed it for me for $60.
    Was covered in dust and had foot high action when I picked it up. I polished it up and there are no scratches to speak of. I had to shim the neck and tighten everything. But it dont sound half bad for a bolt neck Epi. I dont think it was ever played....I think someone messed with the setup and made it unusable so it just sat cause I found the screw lugs on the HB screwed in and other weird things.
    I do think I need to string it heavy and leave the truss loose for awhile to get more back bow on the neck though. It is flat as a ruler with truss loose using 9s,but that said the guy had the strings slack and said it sat for years.
    But for $60 I think she grabbed a winner.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not bad guitars . I used to buy one pawn shoppin every year to give away on a raffle at a festival I play.

I HATE the headstock though ,on mine ,I took it to the bandsaw n sander , made a Melody Maker headstock of it

Lately Ive been on the Maestro (mice throw) juniors , got 3 of em waiting for touring to come back

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations they are cool guitars once set up to play properly.
    Nice score.
    Cheers
    Mitch

5. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I dig, I've had a P90 one for a few years.

6. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Yea I think its pretty cool. Be a good grab and go axe for jams and those not so prestigious ,fist fightin' may break out , may find the car stripped on blocks outside the club scarey gigs.

WellBurnTheSky and AlvisX like this.
  7. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Active Member

I have one I snagged years ago for 20-something dollars from MGR. The neck on it is fantastic and is very similar to my Gibson's neck profile.

8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It's safe to say Im done carryin' my good guitars on the road .Im over the brand name prestige or whatever ...

Got a fleet of partscasters and cheapies built up (especially over the Summer) that can do the job quite well.
    I got this First Act (aka First Ass) "Junior" of ebay the other day for $69 shipped . Threw a Gibson 490 in there .New gears and full trem block coming shortly. It's sounding pretty darn good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WellBurnTheSky and jmp45 like this.