Newcomer looking for guidance for my first Marshall amp

Jackco

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post, so apologies if I’m asking in the wrong forum. I’ve long had the itch to get a Marshall amplifier but could use some guidance. I’m predominantly a bedroom/home studio player. I love 70’s-80’s classic rock and hair metal (e.g Motley Crue, Def Leppard, AC/DC etc.)

I’ve found a used DSL40C upgraded with celestion V-30 speaker for $450, a new DSL40CR for $1050, a used 2525C Silver Jubilee for $1200, and a used SC25C JCM 800 for $1600. I am only able to try out the DSLs in person before buying.

I’m guessing SC20C is best suited for the bands I like. But being a bedroom player, I’m worried it may not sound as good at low volumes. Same for the 2525C.

The DSL40C and CR I heard is great for home use and I’m tempted by the lower price. But if the SC20C and 2525C are better at all volumes, I will go that route. I’ll likely rely on drive pedals whichever amp I get.

Also, for DSLs is the new 40CR alot better than the old 40C? The DSL 40C I found has a speaker upgrade and it’s half the cost of the CR. But again, I’m okay to spend more for the better amp. Hoping to keep this for the long haul.

Thanks again!
If your using pedals to get your "sound" uou most likely won't be using the voices of the Amps gain at a full amount so any of those amps would be great. The speaker upgrade is about a $120+ upgrade if it's a celestion green or cream back. So figure that in the cost. The CR has a master volume so you can drive the preamp gain stage and keep the volume low. You can do it on the 40C too with the volume knob. They are great apps for what you want. The 20 is a little smaller in watts but still plenty loud. All are made in Vietnam

J E H

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post, so apologies if I’m asking in the wrong forum. I’ve long had the itch to get a Marshall amplifier but could use some guidance. I’m predominantly a bedroom/home studio player. I love 70’s-80’s classic rock and hair metal (e.g Motley Crue, Def Leppard, AC/DC etc.)

I’ve found a used DSL40C upgraded with celestion V-30 speaker for $450, a new DSL40CR for $1050, a used 2525C Silver Jubilee for $1200, and a used SC25C JCM 800 for $1600. I am only able to try out the DSLs in person before buying.

I’m guessing SC20C is best suited for the bands I like. But being a bedroom player, I’m worried it may not sound as good at low volumes. Same for the 2525C.

The DSL40C and CR I heard is great for home use and I’m tempted by the lower price. But if the SC20C and 2525C are better at all volumes, I will go that route. I’ll likely rely on drive pedals whichever amp I get.

Also, for DSLs is the new 40CR alot better than the old 40C? The DSL 40C I found has a speaker upgrade and it’s half the cost of the CR. But again, I’m okay to spend more for the better amp. Hoping to keep this for the long haul.

Thanks again!
depends on the $. Completely.

J E H

Reaction score
depends on the $ available. Completely. ALso, what will the 'amplification system' be used for? What are the expectations? Marshall has made just about everything possible in amps. Do your research.

Dirty-D

Reaction score
find yourself a Marshall Lead 12 combo 5005. They get pleanty loud and sound killer. or a Marshall Artist 3203 they have 2 channels and reverb. l like the head don't have any experience with the combo.Both get the authentic Marshall sound and were made 30+ years ago so "vintage" Marshall sound.You can get everything you need from them and both won't break your wallet.

Last edited:

GregM

Reaction score
Hard decision . My journey started with a dsl5cr . Then went to a vox ac15c1 then a sc20h .
Love them all . 95% of my time is spent on the sc20h , sounds glorious , but if I could only pick one I'd prolly take the Vox for it's ability to do everything .
The dsl5cr is a great lil grab n go amp .
But damn me the sc20h sounds great . Good luck . I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you get .

taylodl

Reaction score
For what you want to play you'l be really happy with either the DSL40C or DSL40CR. The DSL40CR is the better amp, but it's not $600 better. The things that make the DSL40CR such a great amp, like the dual master volumes and MIDI controls, aren't as important for for bedroom/home studio playing anyway. Just understand the DSL40CR is an awesome gigging amp should you ever decide to go that way. But $450 for a DSL40C that has the Celestion V30? That's hard to pass up!

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
find yourself a Marshall Lead 12 combo 5005. They get pleanty loud and sound killer. or a Marshall Artist 3203 they have 2 channels and reverb. l like the head don't have any experience with the combo.Both get the authentic Marshall sound and were made 30+ years ago so "vintage" Marshall sound.You can get everything you need from them and both won't break your wallet.
Very good point! My Lead 12 gets more use than any of my amps, perfect house amp.

NoelH

Reaction score
Hey, welcome!
So the big questions are: How much money are you willing to spend? ? And, will you want to play with other musicians at some point?
I play through a DSL 50 with an added choke, and a 'boutique-built' 50 watt that is loosly based on the Jubilee. So with that caveat, here goes.
From your post, my 'best guess', loaded with personal opinion:

1) Buy a head and cab. Why? Scalability. I own 2x 50-ish watt heads. But I scale my rig based on where I'm playing by bringing an appropriate cab. Home? 1x10 cab. Medium room? 2x12. Big room or outdoors? YAY!!! I can bring one or two 4x12's!!! If you want to play with a drummer someday, you'll need to push air. The old street rod addage applies: "No replacement for displacement".
2) Personal opinion: Of all the DSL line, the least pleasant-sounding is the 40 watter. Why? There's a raggedness to the upper mids that you can't dial out. Don't know why. But the 20 watter and 50/100 's sound much clearer, and pleasant. Again, opinion.
3) Of the amps you listed, my favorite is the 2525. Be aware, like other Marshalls that have LED's in the signal path, watch the treble settings. But dialed in, the Jube is glorious.
So there it is. But my biggest advise is: Go play a few amps, and decide for yourself what works for you! Ask 5 guitarists, and you'll get 12 opinions. Garanteed.

mark123

Reaction score
... Of all the DSL line, the least pleasant-sounding is the 40 watter. Why? There's a raggedness to the upper mids that you can't dial out. Don't know why. ...
That speaker plus an open back cabinet is why. An EP Booster in the loop seems to fix it.

zeppelinpage4

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So sorry for getting back this late. I really appreciate all the responses!

So I had pretty much decided on the $450 DSL40C from all the positive posts and even got it priced down to $350 due to some scuff marks on the tolex and a missing foot switch but the seller was going back and forth with me for almost a week now and the sale kept getting pushed back, hence my delay in posting. I was waiting on the seller to get back to me this week, but yesterday a limited edition white DSL40CR popped up for $650 used. Super rare as I have yet to see a CR model in this white tolex with black grill combo. This one was pricier but it looked almost brand new with the foot switch included and it was on Guitar Center used so I have the option to easily return it if I don't love it or change my mind after spending some time with it. I passed on the DSL40C for now and ordered the white DSL40CR. Eagerly waiting for it to come in the mail this Saturday and hoping everything arrives as described. WIll keep you guys posted!

zeppelinpage4

Reaction score
Oh man, it's white too!?!?!

I lost out on one of those maybe 6 months ago.

I was going for the Randy Rhoads/@Mitchell Pearrow vibe to go with my white LP Custom.
I totally relate! I'm a sucker for the white Marshall amps. I'm hoping to pair it with my white LP studio with an ebony board. Now I just need to practice enough to be able to play a few Randy Rhoades licks haha.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. The CR has midi capabilities which a lot of people like. I don't need that. Also, the CR can chug, I also don't need that, but if I did, I'd only need a boost for my C.

So I think I got the best of both worlds now. This DSL40CR in white popped up used for $650 and was in much better condition than the DSL40C. I jumped on it. Just hoping it arrives in one piece as described. Super excited.

FIRST> :welcome: to the forum!
NEXT> One great thing about buying used at a fair price is that you can usually sell it (should you want/find an upgrade) for little or no monetary loss!
Enjoy,
Gene
Thanks! Glad to be here. I'm a regular on the MyLesPaul forum and Les Pauls and Marshalls are such a wondrous combo, just made sense to join here. :D
:welcome:
To The Forum
You will love the C version
I know I sure do.. and the white ones look so damn good to boot..

Cheers
Mitch
Thanks! Excited to join the ranks of Marshall owners and community.

I've had my heart set on a white Marshall amp for some time, very excited to finally get it.

zeppelinpage4

Reaction score
I have the DSL40CR and I love it. I think I tried the older version, DSL40 a couple of years a go and wasn't too fond of it. The CR has the duel master volumes and I believe the tones between the channels are more balanced, less fizzy and most importantly, a better speaker. But that last one might not be an issue if that older version got a speaker change. The CR sounds great at whisper to stage volumes. For a gigging man not playing outdoors, I'd say it's the perfect 70s and 80s classic rock amp. But the price could also be a factor. I'm sure you'd be happy with the DSL40 as well. I just thought that the general online consensus was that the CR was an improvement.
Fortunately I think this worked out for me. I was ready to buy the DSL40C but the sale kept getting delayed coordinating with the seller. And while waiting, a DSL40CR in white popped up yesterday. Was a bit pricier but I didn't hesitate and ordered it. Hoping it arrives as described and in one piece. Nervous and excited haha.
Buy once, get the SC20 and an OD pedal of your choice. And welcome to the forum! :yesway:
Thanks! Excited to be here! :D
I do believe in this. Best to get what you really want and keep it, than be stuck trying to upgrade later. I ordered the DSL40CR used from Guitar Center so I'll have a good bit of time to try it with my own gear and if I don't love it or still want toe SC20C will do an exchange.

The 40c is the unit. Good price and if you need to retube it, you’ll still make out. I have one as a backup amp. I’ve played with an intermediate guitar player with a sc20 ( Several foot pedals) awhile back and it was badly setup. I wasn’t impressed, my JCM900 4502 running direct crushed it and he ended up selling it trying to find a better sound. Welcome to the endless sojourn of tone chasing, it’s a long and rewarding ride for those willing to pursue it for a lifetime.
Excited to be on the journey, def a fun ride trying all these cool amps and guitars. Glad the 40c and JCM900 has worked out well! I guess it's really true, you just gotta try out the gear to see if it works. Having the priciest amp doesn't always guarantee we get the sound we want.
The 40C is great. The CR is a bit better but not $600 better.

Then start saving for your JVM410H!!! :)
Haha, if my amp journey will be anything like my guitar one. I am certain I'll start saving for the next one to add to the collection haha.

I was set on the DSL40C for the price but a DSL40CR also in white in much newer and better condition popped up for $650 so I opted to go for that. Arriving in mail soon, hoping everything comes in one piece as described.
I agree with my buddy @paul-e-mann, SC20 and your fav od pedal does it all imo.

The SV20 too, but you’ll definitely need an attenuator for home playing, the SC20 has a master volume, so you can get great tones at home.

The Dsls are also good choices on a budget, you can do everything with a Dsl, it’s Marshalls best sellin amp. Red channel has gobs of gain and compression, if you like that.

I’m not a big fan of the Jubliee amps, they have their own unique Marshall tone. Some absolutely love them, many others do not. It’s a darker sounding Marshall to my ears.

Bottom line, if your budget allows, personally I’d got with an SC20,…. In fact that's exactly what I did 4 years ago!

There are members here that gig an SC20 with no issues, solid Marshall amp, and made in England and not Vietnam, if that matters at all to you.

Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the forum @zeppelinpage4.
Thanks! Glad to be here. I went for the DSL40CR in white for the time being, it's coming in the mail and I'll spend some time with it. Hopefully I can try the SC20C in person somewhere. If I love the DSL40CR with my own set up at home, it will be staying. If I don't love it, I'll prob set my sites on the SC20C.
depends on the $ available. Completely. ALso, what will the 'amplification system' be used for? What are the expectations? Marshall has made just about everything possible in amps. Do your research.
I'm mainly a home player and rarely get to crank up the amp to high volumes. My budget is probably $1200 max, so a used SC20C is possible but since I won't be able to play loud or with a band or use the amps full potential I'm thinking a more budget DSL may be more appropriate.

I think I'm set on the DSL40CR which I have ordered. WIll try it in person once here and if I don't love it, I think the SC20C will be what I try next.
one pops up I can test out.

zeppelinpage4

Reaction score
I've heard about the lead 12. It was on my radar actually but all the ones I could find near me were selling for $300 or more. They look really cool! I think people might have caught on to how good they are and prices might have gone up more.
For what you want to play you'l be really happy with either the DSL40C or DSL40CR. The DSL40CR is the better amp, but it's not $600 better. The things that make the DSL40CR such a great amp, like the dual master volumes and MIDI controls, aren't as important for for bedroom/home studio playing anyway. Just understand the DSL40CR is an awesome gigging amp should you ever decide to go that way. But $450 for a DSL40C that has the Celestion V30? That's hard to pass up!
Glad I can't go wrong! I was set on the DSL40C and got it priced down to $350 due to the missing footswich and some marks on the Tolex. But a newer DSL40CR in the same white finish and looking almost brand new popped up for $650 from Guitar Center. I opted for the DSL40CR since it wasn't a huge price difference and was newer, plus I have the flexibility to return or exchange it if I don't love the amp. WIll be coming in the mail soon, so will see!

Hey, welcome!
So the big questions are: How much money are you willing to spend? ? And, will you want to play with other musicians at some point?
I play through a DSL 50 with an added choke, and a 'boutique-built' 50 watt that is loosly based on the Jubilee. So with that caveat, here goes.
From your post, my 'best guess', loaded with personal opinion:

1) Buy a head and cab. Why? Scalability. I own 2x 50-ish watt heads. But I scale my rig based on where I'm playing by bringing an appropriate cab. Home? 1x10 cab. Medium room? 2x12. Big room or outdoors? YAY!!! I can bring one or two 4x12's!!! If you want to play with a drummer someday, you'll need to push air. The old street rod addage applies: "No replacement for displacement".
2) Personal opinion: Of all the DSL line, the least pleasant-sounding is the 40 watter. Why? There's a raggedness to the upper mids that you can't dial out. Don't know why. But the 20 watter and 50/100 's sound much clearer, and pleasant. Again, opinion.
3) Of the amps you listed, my favorite is the 2525. Be aware, like other Marshalls that have LED's in the signal path, watch the treble settings. But dialed in, the Jube is glorious.
So there it is. But my biggest advise is: Go play a few amps, and decide for yourself what works for you! Ask 5 guitarists, and you'll get 12 opinions. Garanteed.

Budget for me is probably anywhere up to $1200 or so. I have no plans to play with other musicians though it's nice to have the option if I ever change my mind.

Wow, that is a great idea to scale with different cabinets and not something I thought of. I was going to opt for the SC20C but may go for the SC20H if I go that route over the DSL. Fortunately I found a used DSL40CR through Guitar Center and will have the chance to try it through my rig and can return or exchange it for an SC20H if I don't love the sound. Will see if the raggedness bothers me.

So true on trying them out! I'm excited to try the DSL40CR I ordered. I wish I could try the 2525 and SC20. Will still keep an eye out for those near me in case