Newbie from NY Modding My DSL40C Tomrw

Angry Possum

Reaction score
Hey all, making my first post and introduction as a newbie, a Google search brought me here. I just purchased a used DSL40C at GC for a good price. I heard there's a mod on the C19 cap removal. When I get the amp tomorrow, I'll check it and see if it's there. If it's there, I'm gonna temporarily de-solder one cap leg. Wish me luck, I have some decent soldering skills. And what do you think of the cap mod. I'll also be using the stock 70 80 speaker.

PS if there are any other cool mods for the amp I'm all ears. Pun intended.

Vince

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum...

yes, always give the amp a good once through (playing for some time) before you go modifying it.

are you good w/ a solder? work on PC boards?

these boards are easy to f*ck up w/ a soldering iron.

easy to simply clip 1 leg of C-19, but then attaching it is a little more difficult, if you liked it better before...

There is a thread on that amp, w/ all the stuff people do, quite exhaustive, right here:

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/the-official-marshall-dsl40c-information-thread.53780/

good luck!

:cheers:

Angry Possum

Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum...

yes, always give the amp a good once through (playing for some time) before you go modifying it.

are you good w/ a solder? work on PC boards?

these boards are easy to f*ck up w/ a soldering iron.

easy to simply clip 1 leg of C-19, but then attaching it is a little more difficult, if you liked it better before...

There is a thread on that amp, w/ all the stuff people do, quite exhaustive, right here:

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/the-official-marshall-dsl40c-information-thread.53780/

good luck!

:cheers:

Yes very good with a solder iron, I did many guitar builds, and fixed/soldered 2 SS amp input jacks.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, a good idea. I will play the amp and make my decision.
:welcome:
Just a thought for consideration.
I haven't modded any of my amps (other than some tube rolling and cosmetic details).
I get the tone changes I want from pedals, and guitars, and those knob & button things on the front panel.
But if I were do do a simple cap lift, I'd add a back panel switch to make it either/or.
And - as said - play it for a while before you make any changes that wing nuts on YouTube suggest.
It might be just what you want the way it is.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the C19 cap removal on my DSL 40C, but it was after playing it a year and really getting a good feel for how it performed. that being said, once I done it I have no desire to take it back. it fits me.

Latest posts