New used Valvestate 40V 8040

december

Reaction score
20220627_135631.jpg
Just got this thru Reverb. I used to have a VS30R and regret selling it along with everything else when I was homeless. Been using a Boss Katana 50 MkII but missing my old Valvestate. Now I have one again and I'm running stereo with these two.
Amp cost $200 + $65 shipping. Had a patch cable from preamp out->power amp in. I asked him why, and I asked if it had noisy/scratchy pots. He said it just had the jacks serviced and has no problems, he's just including the cable because he doesn't need it.
Well, there are no problems with the jacks but every pot is extremely loud when turned! Listed as 'very good' condition. Was also covered in dust and the cabinet full of cobwebs.
Luckily I'm not using it for gigs or super loud, I wouldn't be able to turn any knobs without making people deaf.
So I'm torn. I really like the amp and have been waiting a long time to be able to get one and use my chorus, delay and reverb in stereo.
But it's not 'As-Described'. If guitars have any blemishes they're supposed to be disclosed and pictured in the listing. He should have made it clear that there are noisy pots. I still might have bought it but I would have made a lower offer. I just wish I would have been able to make an informed decision about buying this. There were several others of the same model available. I really don't feel like dealing with returning a heavy amp and waiting several weeks before a replacement arrives. I just feel cheated because I asked specifically if there are noisy pots and he just avoided the question by telling me about the jacks being serviced.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't feel like dealing with returning a heavy amp and waiting several weeks before a replacement arrives.
Have you tried a little Deoxit in the pots?
Might also work on the loop jacks if they are giving you problems w/o the patch cable.
A bit of routine maintenance could save a ton of hassle.
Reverb returns suck - I'm in the middle of that process right now.
As a buyer, you have a very good chance of getting your money back with a return, but it's still a time-consuming PITA.
Best of luck.

december

Reaction score
Have you tried a little Deoxit in the pots?
Might also work on the loop jacks if they are giving you problems w/o the patch cable.
A bit of routine maintenance could save a ton of hassle.
Reverb returns suck - I'm in the middle of that process right now.
As a buyer, you have a very good chance of getting your money back with a return, but it's still a time-consuming PITA.
Best of luck.
I have some DeOxit, the squeeze-bottle with the needle tip. Don't really know how to get it in the pots, though. Do I take off the nut on the front or do I have to open up the amp and go at it from the inside?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some DeOxit, the squeeze-bottle with the needle tip. Don't really know how to get it in the pots, though. Do I take off the nut on the front or do I have to open up the amp and go at it from the inside?
If your pots are as noisy as you describe, I'd go for removing the chassis and get some drops directly into the back of the pots.
You'll have good access to the jacks from inside also.

december

Reaction score
New problem: the clean channel is distorting, like clipping. Even with low gain. It's directly related to how hot the input signal is. Guitar straight to amp: the JB 17k pickup does it the worst, have to turn guitar volume down. Pegasus 12k pickup isn't as bad. Neck pickups are fine. With pedals: I got the guitar level down, no clipping, I kick on the clean boost and it clips.
Is this a common issue? Easy/inexpensive to fix?
I got it from Reverb, listed as 'very good' condition. Also had really loud scratchy pots that wasn't mentioned in the listing. DeOxit improved that significantly.
But I have one more day to decide if I wanna deal with returning it or just ask for a partial refund of half what I paid to keep it.
I like the amp but it's a hassle to have to limit the levels thru the chain to avoid the clipping distortion.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on getting your amp, but I have limited experience with this particular model.
I would go the route you described and see if you can get a partial refund, or look for another amp.. sounds to me like a full checkup is in order.

Mitch