New to tube amps

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by William Wagner, Jan 7, 2021.

1. William Wagner

William Wagner New Member

So I just purchased a DSL40CR. This is my first tube amp. I have read and heard conflicting stories about warm up. I have my amp on stand by when I power up. Manual says have volume turned down not sure though if this is when I have connected to other speaker. Also what is proper warm up time before turning of stand by. Sorry for long post.

tce63, Old Punker and fitz288 like this.
  2. CBenson89

CBenson89 Member

I just got a DSL40CR as well and I feel like when I play it it sounds fuzzy. I literally returned the first one that I got because I thought the amp was broken. Even after significantly turning down the treble presence and resonance I feel like it still sounds like it's buzzing a little big when I play with my gibson SG or LP. Thanks so much for your help! I'm coming from a solid state Marshall MG to this and looking for all the help I can get!

tce63, Old Punker and fitz288 like this.
  3. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

:welcome:@William Wagner & :welcome:@CBenson89
    Welcome to the forum to both of you.
    I don't have the DSL40CR, but there are a ton of MFers here that do.

For standby wait time, the manual says "a few minutes", but I'd say my DSL20H takes about 60 seconds at the most to warm up the tubes.

As far as "fuzzy" sounding, that's hard to diagnose.
    What other amps do you / have you had for comparison?

Hang in there, I'm sure some DSL40CR owners will chime in soon.

tce63 likes this.
  4. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

Also - Make sure any "other" speakers are plugged in, and that you are using the correct speaker jacks, BEFORE you turn on the amp power.

tce63, Jethro Rocker and Old Punker like this.
  5. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

“WELCOME” :cheers:

tce63 and Old Punker like this.
  6. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

My thought about volume:

It is an inportant practice ESPECIALLY if you change cabs or move the amp around for gigs, etc.

If you run the amp and forget to plug it into a load, it could blow. If you are on 8-10 on master as you discover this, it very well might. If you go from 0-2 on the master, it very likely will not. Volume is what causes or aids catastrophic failures (no load/impedance mismatches).

agreed on warmup:

- Small bottles (5881s/EL-34s etc) 60 sec
    - Big bottles (6550s/KT-88s) 2-3 min

there is no penalty for warming tubes an extra min or two (or 10 for that matter)

Jethro Rocker, Old Punker and fitz288 like this.
  7. CBenson89

CBenson89 Member

Thanks for the welcomes! This is my first step into tube amps I've only had solid state marshalls. It just sounds like maybe there is too much treble I don't. I'll play something like the intro to swee child o' mine and it just sounds shrill it's hard to describe. I'll freely admit that I have not been turing the volume all the way down to 0 when turning the amp on, so that's on me. I will say though the amp has never been above bedroom levels in terms of overall volume. I also feel like sometimes I turn the amp on and it's got the best tone I've ever heard and then the next time I feel like it sounds like poo poo. I'm just trying to figure it all out. Thanks so much all for the help!

Old Punker and fitz288 like this.
  8. William Wagner

William Wagner New Member

I should clarify. I don’t have a external amp I use.
    The fuzz I found happens even when I have a solid state. I find if the gain is turned down it doesn’t happen. The more gain channel is up the louder the sound.

9. CBenson89

CBenson89 Member

I don't use an external speaker or amp either. I very much look forward to getting guidance on how to best run my amp for the best sound ;)

10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

It's not just you, I think some people hear it and some don't. I'v simply never dug the DSL stuff and I think the smaller they get the worst they are. JVM's are similar. I bought a new JVM 410h, and like you, I thought something was wrong with it, fizzy sounding and very loud in any of the od channels. I too sent it back hoping the next one would be better, it was not. After messing around with it a few months I sold it for a nice big whooping loose. Some people love them and thats great, but not me. I can tell you this, most people that do like the DSL stuff use dirt pedals, I think that amp may be one that needs one. If you STILL here the fizz you will never bond with it no matter what, time to move on. If the amp has to say Marshall on it maybe try one of the 20w small heads. If you just want good sound check out Ceriatone amps. I have one and love the thing, I also have a 20w combo on the way, and will be ordering another one soon.

Old Punker likes this.
  11. CBenson89

CBenson89 Member

I think the amp sounds great clean, it's just when I move it to the ultra gain channels if I try to get some treble and bass it sounds like I have too much treble. I typically leave treble at the 11'o clock position with presence and resonance like all the way down but then the whole eq sounds flat. Thank you all so much for the help.

Old Punker likes this.
  12. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

1. Old marshalls were designed to run LOUD. Master volume amps (800s 900s DSLs etc) can be dialed into something for usable volumes but many think (comparatively) they sound like shit compared to the amp at proper club volume. I think this problem is worse when using red/gain/whatever channels at BR volumes compared to clean/crunch at club volumes.

if the amp is dialed identically and sounds great today but like shit tomorrow, the odds are it’s you/ear fatigue. The simple way to confirm is recording it and comparing recorded samples.

Old Punker and CBenson89 like this.
  13. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a DSL5CR, so not the same, but I imagine there are similarities. I know when I change guitars it often sounds like crap until I dial it in, but the settings are totally dependent on the guitar itself. I like to dime the mid and treble and put the bass all the way down. Then I gradually back them off until the right amount of warmth comes in, doing the opposite with the bass. I don't have a presence knob. Apparently, a lot of people run the guitar tone all the way up - if you do that, try dialing it back a bit. I always fiddle with the tone knob until I find the sweet spot.

CBenson89 likes this.
  14. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I lived in a condo with four shared walls for 10 years and did a huge amount of experimenting SS/Hybrid/Tube from 4 watts to 100 watts looking for a pleasing sound at conversational volume [CV]. I found for amp sound I preferred 100 watt amps even at CV levels - just fuller and richer to my ears. I'm also a drive/OD/boost nut and have a few of them in line. Most do great things at band volume but not at CV - tinny and harsh. My go to for gain / amp sounds saturated at CV is an Empress heavy - it just adds the low end girth of a roaring 1959 for me.

It's a bit of a pain but hitting the shops with your signal chain [guitar/pedals] to demo amps at the level you're looking for is your best option. That or finding a tube amp freak who has a good selection you can demo through. I found a couple when I lived in TX and learned loads about various amps and dialing them in to fit the room.

Side note if you have a DMM measure your wall voltage when the amp sounds good and when it sounds like crap. You may have voltage fluctuations. I've found knowing if external issues are affecting amp performance rather than I've taken stupid pills or the amp is possessed is good for my sanity.

Russ

CBenson89 likes this.
  15. CBenson89

CBenson89 Member

Would using a power conditioner help me out at all?

16. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

First I'd measure your voltage across the day and a couple of days to see if this is even an issue. Who knows your amp might just be possessed...

Short answer - I don't know. I did some looking a few years back and found a wide range of prices from the low end [$150ish] a fancy looking 'it's a power strip that conditions[!?!] your power [marginal surge protection I'm thinking] to the high end that actually regulates voltages $1000 or more. I decided to deal with it.

Russ

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This is getting confusing to me.

There are two guys here,... both who joined yesterday,...asking different questions,... about the same amp, (Dsl40cr),...they both just got.

Just for the record @William Wagner is the OP.

tce63 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  18. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah this is confusing. Shoild really be 2 threads one for each issue.

Where you stand, which guitar, can affect how it sounds. You dont habe to set vopolume to sero before turnjng on at all. Thats just a hint if you ever unplug the speaker. That particular intro is played on neck pickup in case you were not aware. Lower volume can sound fizzier. Where is your gain set? If set too high it can be fizzy sounding. That is very subjective.

What do you mean when you have a solid state? You mean on a previous amp it sounded like that? Fuzz meanjng hiss? High gain amps will hiss when gain is turned up.
    Your original post said when conmected to other speaker. What does that mean?

scozz and tce63 like this.
  19. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

The more gain, the more fizz. I doubt this has anything to do with a power conditioner. It might just be a question of finding your amp’s sweet spot.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  20. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

When you first get a 40CR it's tempting to get on the red channel and crank the gain. Especially at low volumes this can cause fizz. You can try turning the treble all the way down and use the presence control to add the necessary brightness. Use less gain than you think - it might sound/feel 'wrong' at first but when your ears get used to it you might like it. Mine improved when the speaker softened up a bit which took a while even using it at gig levels.
    You could check the bias - you can only do this on the loud setting. 35mv is a good start.
    Personally I never use the red channel - I prefer a pedal into the crunch channel but that's just me. When you get it dialled in it's not fizzy even a bedroom levels - it's a great amp for the money.