New SV20H Day!

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
Wonder how hard/easy it would be to wire in a PPIMV, to tame the volume for home use? Even 5 watts is LOUD when you have no master volume!
I’m sure it’s possible, but if you’ve ever seen the guts of one of these, it looks trickier than on a 1959SLP or 1987X.

Personally, I don’t like PPIMVs. The way they change the negative feedback and make the presence control stop working bothers me. I think a few guys here have had good luck using a little black box in the loop as a MV. You won’t overdrive the PI, but it reportedly still sounds good.

I use an attenuator, and on 5 watt mode I get a killer bedroom level sound.

G the wildman

Reaction score
Ok, well after reading all of the positive posts about the Studio Vintage Series for the past 3 years, I just bought a mint used one locally for a reasonable price. I haven't had the time or place to crank it up yet, but I'm stoked anyway. :fever:

I have a JohnH attenuator on order, so I'm very much looking forward to receiving that.

Looks pretty good on my 1980's Marshall 1965 stack, doesn't it? (Two 4x10 Celestion cabs)

View attachment 114759
Congrats brother. I am sure you will be pleased.

G

tolm

Reaction score
Now THAT is a rig!!! Balances so well visually with those 4x10 cabs.

I recently got an SV20H with a 1x12 cab and it sounds awesome so I can only imagine how good 8 speakers will be … I run mine using a simple passive volume box in the FX loop which seems to work great but is does just get better and better the more you turn it up!

Want to try some KT66s in mine when I get the chance …

Goober23

Reaction score
Turn the guitar volume down! These amps respond quite differently than almost anything you've ever played (except maybe a well maintained 1959) and although it seems unusual, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! Even at lower guitar volume settings, it retains the tone and dynamics like no other amp! Again though, it is a bit difficult to not "LET 'ER RIP" as it just sounds so fantastic when you do!
Lovin' My SV20H,
Gene
This amp has taught me how much tone variation you can get out of an electric guitar and amp with changes in tone and volume from the guitar. There is no equal in my stable really with the exception of my Bugera 1990 infinium which is really just a clone of this circuit (but with a PPIMV :)

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, well after reading all of the positive posts about the Studio Vintage Series for the past 3 years, I just bought a mint used one locally for a reasonable price. I haven't had the time or place to crank it up yet, but I'm stoked anyway. :fever:

I have a JohnH attenuator on order, so I'm very much looking forward to receiving that.

Looks pretty good on my 1980's Marshall 1965 stack, doesn't it? (Two 4x10 Celestion cabs)

View attachment 114759
Congratulations on a beautiful looking stack .
The pic takes me back in time
HNAD

Mitch

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score

my-sv20h-with-1965-stack-resize-jpg.114759

View attachment 114759
BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!!!:yesway:

Dale Faulkner

Reaction score

View attachment 114759
Oh you will love it!! Got mine about 6 months ago. I was going to say get a attenuator but you got that covered. Sounds frikin awesome cranked. Make sure to jump channels!

johan.b

Reaction score
I feel only half as cool too. But those g10-35 speakers are awesome. Happy I got ahold of 4 of them at least. They are the perfect match with the sv20h. View attachment 114922
Those G10L35 loaded 1965 cabs used to be had for a song and a dance around here. Now the go for about the same as a 1960 cab... times are changing...

dilver

Reaction score
I have the combo version - it’s such a killer amp. Never thought I’d love an amp as much as this or be this excited about what it does. I’m hearing nuances in my pickups I wasn‘t hearing before. Goober23 nailed it: the honeymoon just keeps going on and on. Congrats!

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score

View attachment 114759
Congrats. I love my amp. I get those vintage tones….think 70s hard rock…that I love. Good luck

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
This amp has taught me how much tone variation you can get out of an electric guitar and amp with changes in tone and volume from the guitar. There is no equal in my stable really with the exception of my Bugera 1990 infinium which is really just a clone of this circuit (but with a PPIMV :)

I have the combo version - it’s such a killer amp. Never thought I’d love an amp as much as this or be this excited about what it does. I’m hearing nuances in my pickups I wasn‘t hearing before. Goober23 nailed it: the honeymoon just keeps going on and on. Congrats!

What you folks said pretty much nails and echos my sentiments exactly! While I've been just barely (and carefully) getting away with no attenuator through my 1965B cabinet, tonite I was just going over a few parts (quietly) with our new drummer (without the bass player) and instead of plugging in the attenuator, I simply turned the guitar volume (on a single coil Strat no less) way down and was amazed at the tones and response! Truly one of the more stellar amps I've ever used, in +55 years of Screechin' & Squawkin' with guitars through tube amps! There be magic in these SV20 amps!
Simply Lovin'
Gene