New Studio Vintage- are you really happy with it?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by G the wildman, Sep 24, 2019.

1. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

So - my Mini Mass Attenuator has arrived and I am set to pull the Trigger on the SV20 with the proprietary 1x12 speaker cab.

But before I do 'Tell Me' are you really happy with your SV20 or is it all hype?

Who has bought one and is now thinking 'it's not much different to my JVM or my DSL.'

Is the dynamic feel really that different- come on be honest - it can't be that good can it?

G

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well although I don’t own an SV20 I do own a SC20 and I can tell you without doubt that string dynamics are like no other amp I’ve ever played, it’s really incredible the feel of this amp!

I’ll also tell you that this amp, the SC20 is not a very forgiving amp. There’s nowhere to hide with this amp, but that makes you a better player imo.

I can’t say enough good things about this amp, the way it sounds, the way it feels , the harmonics that jump off the strings,...it a very, very responsive amplifier!

And from what I’ve heard and read about the SV, it is all these things too!

I’m sure you’ll get some great results from your post, l thought I’d give mine about the Jcm800 Studio.

Best of luck,......

Ian Alderman, wakjob, T.J. and 3 others like this.
  3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Is it different than the DSL or JVM?
    Absolutely, Those amps can be set to get you in the ball park of a plexi tone but the SV does it.
    When you are driving that power amp you can get singing controlled feedback. The DSL and JVM will not do that. Even with a Mini Mass set at a very low volume it still happens.
    Alternatively, the SV will not pull off that modern high gain stuff. So, two different animals that are both awesome.

Kid_Awesome1, T.J., BftGibson and 5 others like this.
  4. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

One word. Yes.

T.J., tce63, Michael Roe and 2 others like this.
  5. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Same as the others. My DSL100 gets in the ballpark tonally (not 100% there, but pretty close, and sounds very good in its own right). But feel and dynamics ? No comparison, the SV is much more responsive to nuances in pick attack, vibrato, pickup selection, boosts. Very fun amp to play.

6. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

YES!

wntbtw, T.J., WellBurnTheSky and 2 others like this.
  7. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

I love mine...6 months in, best amp ever.
    J

wntbtw, T.J., WellBurnTheSky and 2 others like this.
  8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

yes

T.J., tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. trovador

trovador Well-Known Member

Same here! 6 months and still brings a smile every time I play it.

T.J., tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Happy or not would all be dependent on what you are used to, and what your looking for.
    The one that I played, though it sounded good, didn't have the sparkle I get out of my JTM 45. Which is what I'm looking for, as a lower watt and smaller package. That being said, if constant power tube overdrive is all you are looking for, which seems to be the general preference on this forum, It will deliver, it will be loud, It will be Marshall. To me, Marshall sound is defined mainly by the JTM, the 1959, the JMP, and the JCM 800. For me, the 800 is the last of the great Marshall tone. Just one guy's opinion. Jubilee was ehhh OK. Myself I have gone with a MINI JUBE for my light weight setup. If I run it clean, as a pedal platform it delivers the sweetness I miss from the JTM. The SV20, didn't quite match that for me.
    Ultimately the answer to your question is, wat does it do for you. Does it meet YOUR needs. You'll have to play it for yourself and put it through it's paces. But I must say if I had the extra cash I would likely have one in the studio.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

I am a hard rock/metal and high gain guy. I have a bunch of marshall heads and I love my studio vintage head. Granted if I could only have one, it would definately NOT be the one. But it still brings a smile to my face when I switch to it for a couple days. I do like a clean boost in front of it, but that is just the METAL guy in me. I run it through a 1960ahw

tce63, G the wildman, wakjob and 3 others like this.
  12. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Are you using an attenuator?
    If so, are the dynamics still prevalent?

13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh yes, absolutely! I’m amazed how well this attenuator works. I bought a Weber MiniMass 50 attenuator, it’s made by Ted Weber the speaker guy. It’s hand made, here in the USA, one by one as the orders come in.

It’s got settings for 4, 8, and 16 ohm speakers,...it has two treble boosts, a +3db and a +6db. This thing works great, it attenuates to a useable volume level for anything you’d like to do. It does this while retaining all the great tones that this amp, (SC20), has to offer as the volume increases and the power tubes start cooking!

I’m a at home player and my music room is only 14x13. Below you can see one of the settings I’m able to use because of the MiniMass, with virtually no loss of tone. All the great tones, harmonics, and responsiveness of a Marshall Jcm800 Studio cranked without the paint peeling off the walls.

And one of the best things about the Weber MiniMass is it’s only $136!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Kid_Awesome1

Kid_Awesome1 Active Member

So, I’ve had 1 for 3 months now and it is everything I wanted. EVERYTHING. I decided to sell my Dsl40c after an hour on the sv20. It’s not just the quality of the tone, which is way better than any pcb I’ve heard before, but it’s as dynamic in its response and feel as my hand wired 5f1a clone, and my Vox Ac4hw1. However. The tone is all vintage Marshall. My view is that if you’re aiming for 60’s & 70’s go SV. 80’s go SC, max versatility go SJ. I also play through a 1x12. A suggestion: Mojotone will do up any cab to match the specs for Tolex, fabric, etc of the SV or any other style can you want. If you look at my avatar, you can see the cab I got which is an angled 1x12 with removable back. I had a spare greenback but if I had gotten one new, the total cost w/ speaker would have been $450 which is about 1/3 less than the Marshall branded cab. Cost difference is more if you’re getting a v-type which is cheaper. I liked the dsl plenty, but the tone and responsiveness are simply not comparable to my ear, and I had my dsl pretty decked out with 60’s telefunken el84’s and 60’s military sylvania 12ax7’s and a celestion alnico cream speaker. If you have an ear, you WILL hear a difference. Tone is subjective but responsiveness is more objective and the dynamics are in a boutique league. You can worry about how to pay off the credit card, ‘cause you’ll never worry about returning it : )

15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I do believe that I will ad one of each to the collection.
    But I am in no hurry!
    I really need to enjoy what I have for now.
    The origin’s and Dsl40c’s, with my mosfets!
    Cheers Mitch

16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Had my SV20H since February (I was lucky with a B stock deal). I play it all the time as it's the easiest amp for me to plug into anytime I fancy playing at home. I take the head out to the studio regularly too for rehearsals as they have 4x12 cabs there.

Love it. :)

(I particularly like the clean/just slightly edgy sounds it makes especially with my Telecaster).

I've also owned a Mini Jubilee 2525H for 2.5 years and love that too; it sounds different enough to justify having both. :)

17. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I've had my SV20 for about five months. Yes, I'm very happy with it. There's always some variables involved- speakers and guitars of course can make a difference in how loud it is and how it reacts. I've used four different speaker configurations and all of them sound great. I've said it a few times- it's a low-powered "old-school Marshall". You should nail those tones from the late '60's and '70's with a guitar and a wire plugged in. It takes pedals VERY nicely! So you can go into gain for days if needed.