New speaker day!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ampeq, Jan 1, 2021.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I bought a speaker I'v wanted to try for a long time, the Eminence GB128. So far it sounds very good, but will need breaking in to tell. I have it in a 1-12" cab right now, closed back, and will break it in a little before switching it around. I'll try it in closed and open back cab, then a combo, then mixed with other speakers in a 2-12" cab. They list it as a British type speaker:

"The Eminence Legend GB128 guitar speaker helps clean up your act. Cleaner British voiced tone with a full low end, warm, throaty mids and a very open top end. Turn up the volume and turn back the clock."

This thing only costs $75 and it will handle 50w, so far it's worth every penny. You can take a look at it here: https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Legend_GB128
    So far it does have very good lows yet is crisp and clean as well. More to come.

2. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh cool! I have a Cannabis Rex 12" in a Fender Combo amp. The charts, magnets, power, cone, etc. are nearly identical, so I know I would like the GB128, 'cause I love the CR. Congrats, I hope after break-in it's all you hope it'll be.

Legend:
    Legend_GB128.png
    CR:
    Cannabis_Rex.png

3. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

One of the best Greenback type speakers out there for the money...

Enjoy!

4. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

That's a really nice looking speaker. My only experience with Eminence speakers was the Eminence Jet City speakers I used to have in a 212 cabinet. They were very dark but overall sounded good. How do their other speakers stack up?

5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That Cannabis Rex is very similar, just a little less break up it says. I'll let you know how it turns out, I'm hoping it will be a very good speaker to blend with something like a V30 or other earlier break up speaker. They seem to cover a good range and would be a great combo speaker, especially for something like a Fender amp. It does have a nice full sound to it because of the lows. Still can't get over the price, you can buy 2 for the price a CB.

TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I think I like it better than the GB, time will tell.

5stringsdown and TXOldRedRocker like this.
  7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

This one is very articulate, clear but warm. A lot of people swear by Eminence, I just don't know enough about them because there are so many to choose from. I like the sound bites they have on their web page. Going through a bunch I picked out the GB128 kept coming back up. I never tried it until now, but so far I think it's a keeper.

8. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got a stereo setup, where the Cannabis in the combo can be played with my 2x12 that's shared between two different amp heads. The 2x12 has a V30 and a G12H-75 Creamback. The three speakers together sound great. I'd love to have a bunch of cabs to have a bunch of combinations. One I certainly would want to try is Eminence and Celestion mixed in the same cab. That's high on my To-Do list someday.

9. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

Congrats, Ive had a GB128 for a couple years. Killer speaker.

10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Did it get better when broke in?

11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

You have all the same speakers as me! The V30 & 75w CB is my std. set. I also have a WGS ET65 and the ET90 on the way. I have their Retro 30 but don’t care for it. I plan on trying the GB128 with all the above.

12. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

It sounds better all the time, and is loosening up. It is an efficient speaker and is good at being loud, so I normally only use it when I can be loud. But it holds together really well at volume and does not have any ice pick highs or harsh upper mids, but has really smooth mid-mids ( for lack of a better description) and seems to work well the Origin 20c I put it in that is pretty bright by itself.

13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I did notice it was a loud speaker, but in a good way. I can't wait for it to break in. I have a 2202 Combo coming from Ceriatone and was hoping either it or the ET65 / ET90 from WGS would work well with it.

C-Grin likes this.
  14. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

I have been tempted by that ET 65 more than once. :agreed:

15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

UPDATE:
    I got the ET90 from WGS in today, soon as I get a chance I'll try it out. It looks to me that it's the same speaker as the ET65 with a bigger magnet. I'm hoping for a similar thing like the CB speakers, we'll see.

16. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I was told (if not mistaken) that this should sound like a Celestion GB? Is that true in your opinion?? And, congrats on your new wave generator!

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Hard to say yet. I need to break it in and do some side by side testing. So far I think it might be better, plus it will take twice the power and at half the cost. Pretty sweet so far though.

18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I got to play with the ET90 WGS finally. So far so good, it’s got a little bit of “throaty” mids in it but can be dialed out for the most part. Very clear and can take 90 watts of power, although I haven’t tried it yet I think it will be a good combo speaker. What I really want it for is a mixing speaker to go with something like a CB or V30 in a 2-12” cab. I don’t know why but I seem to like speakers with a large dust cap for some reason, almost always over a similar speaker with a small one. More to come, I think this one really needs to be broken in before judging it.
    As I recall the WGS’s I have took a long time to break in.

19. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Member

Personally I think it’s a great speaker, had one in Victoria 20112 and loved it!

20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Did it get a little softer when it broke in? I can’t believe what a good deal this speaker is. You can get 2 of these for the cost of a GB and they handle twice the power.