New Software Day? Is This A Thing?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by saxon68, Aug 13, 2018.

1. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Just ordered EZ Drummer 2.

Not so patiently waiting for my download code.

For my interface I’ll be using the Helix, which does guitar, bass and vocal models.

I’ll be getting a synth controller soon.

Reaper for DAW for now.

Any thoughts?

2. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener.

love it

3. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

It’s pretty amazing. So if I’m reading properly, the midi packs are grooves, and the other packs are drum kits?

4. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener.

I'm not super versed in it but am very happy. I am fuzzy on what the midi and packs are. I thought the packs are both grooves and drummers. I haven't bought any expansion packs.

I now have EZDrummer2 (and slate drums) plugged into logic. Ezdrummer2 is killer. I was able to pick different drums until I heard one I liked. My problem is I write a song every 2 or 3 months.. so I have to feel my way through it again.. but it's fun and very very veeeery cool.

I use the tap 2 find thingy. I tap out a simple version of what I am looking for.. then it recommends similar beats. I then drag and drop that into a song writing window and it recommends verse, chorus, endings, fills, intros.. the thing is awesome.

https://www.toontrack.com/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-a-midi-pack-and-an-ezx/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  5. minerman

minerman Well-Known Member

You should like EZD2 pretty good, but if you stick with the recording thing, Superior 3 is the shizzle...Since you just bought EZD2, if you ever decide to upgrade, you'll get a discount...

The midi packs are just loops/beats/fills to build your song with...Basically dragn-n-drop into Reaper...You have the ability to edit the midi too, how hard the hits are, vary the timing, etc to make it more realistic...

The EZX/SDX are indeed expansion kits...Congrats!!!

saxon68 likes this.
  6. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing Well-Known Member

I have ezd and sd. I believe the expansions come with both new midi grooves AND new drums/kits.

I have some professional audio designer friends who really like Strike 2. Same kind of idea as EZD but has additional controls to really automate/customize a beat, even over the course of a song (i.e play harder here, busier here, swing the beat here, etc.). You can create very legit sounding stuff very quickly. To be fair I think the new SD has some of that too. I’m basically just giving their opinions more weight since theyre industry pros.

saxon68 likes this.