New Reverb today

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by blue, Apr 13, 2021.

1. blue

blue Active Member

Over the last couple of years I've tried a few reverb pedals. My first was a Strymon Blue Sky, which is really good, but then I saw a real spring reverb pedal, the Anasounds Element. I got one, and it is really good too, it's a lovely, lush spring reverb with an interesting overdrive option. Next I came across the Crazy Tube Circuits White Whale spring reverb and tremolo. Again, a great pedal. The reverb is a bit livelier than the Element.

Yesterday I got my lastest package in the post, a Surfybear Reverb Compact. WOW! I thought the others were good, and they are, but this thing is stunning! And I haven't even tried it through my clean amp yet! I plugged in my Marshall SC20, my Bad Cat Unleash, put the Surfybear in the Unleash's loop, grabbed my SG, and the next two hours disappeared! This reverb blends with the amp in a way the others don't, it becomes part of the sound. Of course it can do the surfy drip sound if you set it's tone high, but lower the tone a bit and you simply have the lushest spring reverb I think I've ever heard. It has a life to it without ever getting in the way of what you're playing. With this, the Marshall and the volume controls on my guitar I can get pretty much any sound I want. Spectacular pedal.

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ill have to check this one out? I use the Marshall reverb pedal and have had it for many years! Maybe its time for a change??

Congrats by the way!!

wakjob, Trelwheen and blue like this.
  3. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Wow, just looked it up. Its rather large and has a Hefty price tag!

jstich and blue like this.
  4. blue

blue Active Member

I managed to get one from a German Ebay shop for a fair bit less than the normal retail price. Yes, it's not a small pedal, but it's a lot smaller than the other two Surfybear Reverbs! :)

5. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

I've been generally satisfied with Marshall (and other) spring reverb tanks in the past, but recently got hooked on the idea of trying to find some pedals that emulate Plate Reverb from the 70's.

So far, Catalinbread Talisman seems to be the preferred choice, but it's not Spring Reverb as the OP was referring too. I just wanted to add some different flavor to the topic. This pedal is not cheap so I guess it comes down to a good tube driven spring tank or a good digital emulations, neither of which are low cost. I do know that some budget reverb devices have tonal artifacts so I guess we get what we pay for.

[​IMG]

blue likes this.
  6. blue

blue Active Member

OOoo, that seems nice too! Of course, if I got that I'd have that nagging desire to try an actal plate reverb, and where the hell would I put that in my house!? :shock::D

JamminJeff likes this.
  7. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

How's that in the signal chain? Proper and actual TB?

8. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I have a Fender reissue tube reverb, I run that one through my JMP.

I scored an EH Cathedral Stereo Reverb a few years ago, I like that one too..I use it with a pair of Fender Champs.

I'll have to check out the Surfybear, I'm always on the hunt for cool reverb pedals..

9. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Nice score!

Ryan from the '60 Cycle Hum' channel on Youtube turned me on to all those "drippy" reverb pedals...
    I think that the 'Surfybear' is still the king of that thing, just short of a full sized tube Reverb unit.

I can totally do without a Delay, but I gots ta have my Verb!!!

blue likes this.
  10. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no expert on real plate reverb, but many of the great analog recordings from the past have plate reverb all over the mix and even in the mastering process. There are different sizes, some in cabinets and some are meant to be in their own room.

It seems to be a reverb that doesn't sound like reverb and doesn't get in the way and takeover the sound or mix.

It's rabbit hole I'm not sure I need to go down, but we all know how that is. :agreed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wakjob, Maggot Brain and blue like this.
  11. blue

blue Active Member

Hmmm, does my son really need his own room? :D

JamminJeff and giblesp like this.
  12. mad5066

mad5066 Well-Known Member

Surfybear Reverb looks really cool! It's got an actual reverb tank that's why it's so huge.

blue likes this.