New pick up's.

ampeq

Reaction score
I just got my new pick up's in my ES335. The old ones were a little muddy, these are much clearer and full sounding. I went with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's, same thing in my custom guitar. I really like both guitars that have them in them, great clean sound you can push loud if need be.

Attachments

• SAM_2041.JPG
    SAM_2041.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 10
  • SAM_2038.JPG
    SAM_2038.JPG
    423 KB · Views: 10

neikeel

Reaction score
What were the original pups in your 335?
Mine is a 2000MY and has 57 Classics, which are not what I would call muddy and they are pretty loud and bold.
In fact I find it quite a fight to control them with a plexi at modern stage volumes.

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got my new pick up's in my ES335. The old ones were a little muddy, these are much clearer and full sounding. I went with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's, same thing in my custom guitar. I really like both guitars that have them in them, great clean sound you can push loud if need be.

Excellent! Great choice I may add. I own two sets of Fralin Pure PAF's. Different output options. Fantastic PUPs.

ampeq

Reaction score
What were the original pups in your 335?
Mine is a 2000MY and has 57 Classics, which are not what I would call muddy and they are pretty loud and bold.
In fact I find it quite a fight to control them with a plexi at modern stage volumes.
The ones that came in it are called "Gibson's new Calibrated T-Type humbucking pickups". They aren't bad but ton's of mid range, and ES335's already have quite a bit of mid range to begin with. By putting in a set of Pure PAF's I'm able to get much better tonal quality in a broader spectrum. It's also a great guitar to play, the neck is fantastic and the frets have been plek'd. A 1st for me, but I do wish all my guitars were plek'd now.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones that came in it are called "Gibson's new Calibrated T-Type humbucking pickups". They aren't bad but ton's of mid range, and ES335's already have quite a bit of mid range to begin with. By putting in a set of Pure PAF's I'm able to get much better tonal quality in a broader spectrum. It's also a great guitar to play, the neck is fantastic and the frets have been plek'd. A 1st for me, but I do wish all my guitars were plek'd now.
It always makes me wonder why the people who make the decisions at Gibson would choose such a combination. I mean, they work in a job where they MUST know the tonal characteristics of the pickups and the guitar. And yet, they chose to match those pickups with that guitar when they have an entire tonal palette of pickups they could use to come up with a perfect match. Why?

jeffb

Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear this. I nearly always prefer T tops and early or late Patent #s in semi hollows. They are a match made in heaven e.g. Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Alex Lifeson, etc. They actually balance out better frequency wise with the overt barky midrange semi-hollows. T tops and early/late Pat #s are not by nature very midrangey pickups- they have increased high end with a mild/balanced midrange and generally less prominent but tighter bass frequencies that the majority of PAF type winds.

If the new Gibson Ts are overly midrangey, I'd wager that is Gibson not doing a proper job, or a specific guitar/pickup clash because they are certainly a classic, viable combination. I've got a set of fantastic late Pat #/early T clones and they have worked amazing in both the 335s I had them in- classic sounds.

That said, Lindy makes righteous pickups and he's a fellow Virginian! I'm partial to his Strat pickups and his A4 Humbuckers, but the Pure PAF are a great choice in A2 (which theoretically should be much more midrangey than the T types from Gibson, so another point towards the modern gibsons not living up to the hype).

Eric'45

Reaction score
A guitar like this deserves the best pickups possible, that's for shure.
I was considering getting Lindy Fralin PAFs, but I finally settled on Amber Pickups , and these are amazing, too. In fact, I think both sound very similar, transparent and with a well- balanced midrange.
Would you mind recording a short demo?

Ramo

Reaction score
I think it could use BK or EMGs or Fluence….

To chug thrash chug :eddie::eddie:😆😆😆

ampeq

Reaction score
A guitar like this deserves the best pickups possible, that's for shure.
I was considering getting Lindy Fralin PAFs, but I finally settled on Amber Pickups , and these are amazing, too. In fact, I think both sound very similar, transparent and with a well- balanced midrange.
Would you mind recording a short demo?
Sorry but I have no good way to record and post it. It’s much clearer now though, you can get where you want to be.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Sorry but I have no good way to record and post it. It’s much clearer now though, you can get where you want to be.
No Problem. I was just listening to Lindy Fralin Humbucker Demos again and found them to be really similar to my personal favourites. Maybe they go into my next Fuitar.

El Gringo

Reaction score
yep and its all gonna come crashing down too. it ALWAYS does.
Most assuredly as we are in a major shi! storm of epic proportions and it's a once in a hundred year thing along with the Global Pandemic . Aka a perfect storm of epic biblical proportions ! This will separate the weak from the strong as the herd will be culled big time !

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Most assuredly as we are in a major shi! storm of epic proportions and it's a once in a hundred year thing along with the Global Pandemic . Aka a perfect storm of epic biblical proportions ! This will separate the weak from the strong as the herd will be culled big time !
um yes. yes indeed.

ampeq

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong guys, the pup’s that came in it were great but limited to one sound. Nice for blues and mixed good with some effects, however going for a good clean tone was iffy. If your a guy that loves midrange only you will be very happy. I wanted to run the gamut with this guitar, looking for a lot of tone and it delivers. Most would probably be happy with the stock pup’s, including me. But the PAF pup’s Lindy makes really make this 335 & my custom sing. Well worth a try, especially in a hollow body.

Latest posts