>

New Origin Demo.. Wtf?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bloodrock, Mar 5, 2018.

1. BrentD

BrentD Active Member

I've been thinking about this too. I think the only reason may be to differentiate it from the 50. If they made a 30 or a 40 with a 12" I think they could have just made one combo and one head and would have been done with it. But if the intent is to make a whole line (as I'm sure it is), then there's got to be a middle ground between the 5 and 50.

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Now I'm sold. Now the only decision is 50 watt head, 50 watt combo, or 20 watt head. I gotta play them to know for sure. :yesway:

John BNY likes this.
  3. pedecamp

I'm wondering if a 12" speaker will fit in the 20 watt combo, and will it make a difference.

I'm feeling like they didn't have to make a whole line of Origin amps, all they need is the 50 watt head and combo, they switch from 50 to 10 to 1 watt. What else would you need?

Sailindawg, kingbee and grainman like this.
  4. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

In one of the videos from NAMM Steve said they wanted to "save" the 12 inch speaker for the 50w.

I wonder if the 50w is voiced differently then the 20w Origin (assuming both in the head version). Anderton's guys also liked the 50 best...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  5. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I have a OR20 on preorder. I am worried that maybe I should have ordered the 50 watt. I really think Marshall should have thought out that High-med-low power some more. Wouldn't it have made more since to have the 50 watt go from 50>25>1 ? and the 20 watt to go from 20>10>1 watt? I don't really see the purpose of going from 20 >3>0.5 watt or 50>10>0.5 watt.
    Is it just me, or do any of you guys find that odd? I would prefer actual half wattage then a very low if needed.

6. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Cutting the power/wattage in half provides very little discerable difference in volume. Wattage and actual or perceived volume are not a linear relationship. Looks sensible on paper, but in the real world........ I believe that, once these are released, time will show that the wattage choices on these will prove pretty useful, as compared to the half power settings of the new DSL series.
    Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less,
    Gene

Sailindawg and MaskingApathy like this.
  7. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

If the 20w Combo with the 10" speaker is similar to the DSL5c in size, fitting a 12" inside might not be that hard. DSL5c requires a 1/4 inch groove in the floor of the combo, centered about 1.5" wide. Then you can squeeze a 12" Vintage 30 type speaker inside. It is a tight fit though :)

8. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Lee’s playing has gotten quite good lately. I’m loving that he playing a Les Paul into the Origin. As it should be!

ricksconnected and Guitar Rod like this.
  9. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I remember when the 2555x came out all the demos sounded nothing like the amp. I ordered one and tried it with my gear. I will likely do the same with the next amp i get. No substitute for in person testing at home.

Sailindawg likes this.
  10. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

The transformers on the 50watt make IMO a difference in sound for the better.

I think if most players could A/B the 20 vs 50 the 50 would win out big time.

11. Rocktane

Rocktane Well-Known Member

Can't wait to try the heads! Hoping 5 Star gets some soon.

12. colchar

colchar Well-Known Member

A typical male lament......................

Ghostman, JCarno and Guitar Rod like this.
  13. pedecamp

Gene you speak the gospel, I bought one of the new Vox AC30 heads and it switched from 30 to 3 to 1/3 watt, sounds like a great idea but was totally useless, you could get excellent low volume tone at 30 watts the other wattages were not needed. I returned the amp.

14. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

That's my point, they won't arrive here in the USA for another month yet. Doesn't make sense to get spun up about the amp until they're here. You don't know how good she fucks by smelling your buddies finger.

I got to try them at NAMM, the 50 watt is a nice amp, much like a EL34 version of a 2061x. I personally liked it much more than the new DSL, more true Marshall.

I think many of us can agree that Marshall is hurt by a lot of the amateur wank that gets uploaded to Youtube.

For guys that can't find them in the corner store, buy from online retailers with a fair return policy. Try the 20 for a week and if its not getting it for you have them ship you out a 50watt.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Sailindawg likes this.
  15. s27njh

s27njh New Member

I really want to hear this amp with the gain maxed out, boost engaged and a Les Paul. It sounds great in the Andertons video. I just want to hear if it has enough gain on tap for harder rock. They didn't mention in the demo how high the gain was on the 50 when they engaged the boost

16. pedecamp

They need to delete all the Steve videos they are so bad. I really wanted the 20 watt head since its smaller and lighter but I'm starting to think the 50 will be the safer bet, its only 22" wide and 26 lbs.

PU239 likes this.
  17. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

It is not a high gain amp, full on might not be enough for the hard rock genre. This is why the circuit is very pedal friendly in front or the switched loop.

Personally I would stick a Wampler in the loop and use it as a second channel, still keeping the nice vintage Marshall tone in tact with the loop off.

18. pedecamp

Actually Chappers did play it with gain max'd and boost on except he played it with a Tele, I was waiting patiently for him and Lee to swap guitars like they usually do and he attempt to play metal LOL. It sounded good and pretty heavy I just wish he did it with an LP.

19. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

Its called being cheap. Fender puts 12s in most all their 15 watt amps. 10s only sound good in pairs usually.

20. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Where did it come from that the origin is based on the 2061x?