New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. VinceC800

VinceC800 New Member

Hi, I'm a new user of the forum. I'm looking for information and opinions about code amps. I own a THR10, but I would like to change it for a code 25 because of the greater presence of effects, for bluetooth connectivity and for the possibility to match a footswitch. I only play in bedroom for my entertainment. Do you think the change can be right? what do you think?

Thanks

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  2. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Member

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

4. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Member

I have a JCM2000 100 watt head with a Orange PPC 412 HP that I have hardly ever use but like the Modeling amps and hope that the marshell will do the job.
    I think that the Code100C will be more use then the Code 100H with me....
    But at $250-$299 these are No brainers unless you have little or no money to spend lol......JT

5. Dogs of Doom

the thing to keep in mind... if you plug in your DSL100 & do a side-by-side comparison, you'll notice definite differences. But, when you play the CODE, on it's own, it has the main sounds of the amp's it purports to emulate.

It won't sound like a 100 watt Marshall ½/full stack cranked. The only way to get that sound is to have a 100 watt ½/full stack cranked.

But, you will get what sounds like as if your amp was recorded & being played back on a CD. You can get some of the cab sound, cranking it, but, the nice thing is, whatever sound you dial in, you can get it at almost any volume.

tallcoolone, ssolo8 and steveb63 like this.
  6. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I've got a few amps that are no brainers.

if you like it then have fun using it. Plus at such a low price it's win win.

tallcoolone and steveb63 like this.
  7. John Russell

John Russell New Member

I'm wondering if the Code 50 would sound better with this new FRFR speaker from Celestion installed. I'm thinking of trying it out. What do you think??
    Celestion F12-X200

8. Dogs of Doom

good luck getting one, they've been on back order since January...

upload_2019-6-18_16-7-51.png

9. John Russell

John Russell New Member

Received e-mail from Sweetwater today and they have been told by Celestion that they will be shipped to them in July.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

It's a dead give-a-way. If they cut corners in the way it looks, imagine whats inside.

11. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Dave didn't like it...
    ...and he usually likes anything and everything new and shiny that comes his way.

Antmax likes this.
  12. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon New Member

I’m looking to replace the speakers in my Code 100 combo, but it’s already a bright sounding amp. I’m thinking of going with a G12T “Hot 100” because it’s a little darker sounding. I don’t think I’d go with a speaker with a built in tweeter

13. DavidRavenMoon

I felt like he didn’t take the time to learn how to use the amp.

BanditPanda likes this.
  14. DavidRavenMoon

I agree. I’ve been using a Code 100 combo on stage for about 6 months. I think the thing is to stop reading the names of the amps and dial in something that sounds good to you.

For instance, one of my patches has an 800 preamp into a Vox AC 30 power amp and some mismatched cab.

it takes a little time to learn the ins and outs of the amp. But you can get a huge amount of tones. That’s why I got it.

There’s things I don’t like about it. It really should have proper MIDI jacks. And why is the USB port a miniature one? The speakers are mediocre, and corner protectors would be nice.

I guess Marshall consider it a “prosumer” amp which is a shame. I can see where they might not want to do a high end Kemper or Fractal style amp, but they could have made it a little more pro.

it would also be nice if they offered SoftTube plugins for your DAW that match the amp. Then I could use those for recording.

15. d10221

d10221 New Member

Disclaimer:
    I reserve the right to contradict my self in the very near future.
    Because I just got one and I got the shiny-new-thing syndrome , I know ...
    I'm not a Marshall fan boy but I might be acting like one right now.

Also..
    have in mind I didn't NEED an amp, I just wanted one.
    Right now all "my needs" are covered by a MacBook Pro with Amplitube.
    In fact I even went Jamming with friends at Drum volume level with Mac/Amplitube and a self powered PA, and its very, very good.. just not reliable enough, too much preparation.

So ... seriously What is the alternative?

And it should do
    home fun/practice (with joy),
    buddy fun/practice (with Tone),
    recording without mic,
    Eventually ...be gig-able

Can you solve all that with 1 buy ?

...and Don't mention anything with tubes/valves,
    too heavy, too loud, or not loud enough, too impractical, and potentially maintenance prone (been there done that, not again...)
    and it's more expensive.

No 2nd hand.

Must have fx-loop, even if you will never use it, it simply draws the line between TOY and Amp

Should have access to ALL the internal features,
    Must not be artificially degraded to accommodate a market segment (I'm looking at you BOSS)
    If it has a delay or a chorus or what not, I want to be able to turn them on and off at will
    MIDI or NOT, with your feet.
    Not with a knob ...(I'm looking at you Champs!)

Its needs to sound RIGHT to you!
    It happens, that , right now I feel like a 'Vintagy sound', classic, but that is me.

It has to be teake-able, yes I like to fiddle with stuff.

What if You want to get rid of it (sell it)?

So what are the options?
    Mustang, ID:Core , ID: TVP, Katana, or floor Modeler with a power Amp an FR speaker?

...And don't cheat , in that price range, I'm looking at you Kemper.

So here we go:

Mustang:
    I like Fender Stuff, but one way or another they always manage to make buy something else... with the exception of MIM strat
    I can't swallow the looks, ...over,
    PS: I don't want an mp3 player, or Hi-Fi system.

The Katana:
    Serious contender, solid build, made in Japan , If I could hear my self saying that in the 80's .. I'll be laughing.
    Is a GP-1 in a box, .. nothing wrong with that, but it sounds to me like OD-1 + with a Peavey Bandit.. again nothing wrong with that ... but I did that in 199x.
    Its a bit too clean for my taste.
    Believe I try to like it, I almost convince my self...almost

The Blackstar stuff looks OK to me, but I couldn't find one to try and the reviews I found always focus in "the wrong tone", ...I know.... I know...
    I happen to be inclined to the vintage tone right now , Not exactly blues but that kind of tone.

The "Multi-fx" options are at least 3 times the money for the full setup.
    Being potential honorable mention, maybe, the Ampli-Fire stuff, unfortunately I didn't try any ... I'll had to order/Gamble and wait.

I just scratched Line-6 from the begging, IDK why but I can't see my self giving them money.

The CODE so far... sounds Just right!,
    Sounds to me like it has it's own character

PS: thanks to all the BAD reviews, I think I got it at a great price because of you.
    Cheers
    D.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    bulldozer1984 and DavidRavenMoon like this.
  16. d10221

d10221 New Member

Hey DavidRavenMoon,

I think you hit the nail with "prosumer" tag.
    I consider my self one of them :), ..well , ex-semi-pro ..them the consumer part :)

And regarding the MIDI part
    I wonder what do think you could use MIDI for that is not covered by the optional footswitch?

I have a couple of them (midi floor/foot switch), I was thinking maybe change patches and turn on & off the fx, but on its limited state this is covered by the footswitch anyway

BTW, MIDI input doesn't always mean you have parameters to map to , many times the MIDI implementation is incomplete,partial.

The CODE's USB port it supposedly "class compliant", if that is true, a MIDI/USB-host-box can free you up from depending on a computer.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  17. DavidRavenMoon

I have a Ground Control foot controller. One of the older ones. I’d like to be able to use that.

When I got the Code, my singer/song writing parter bought it. I told her we needed the “fancy” foot switch, but it was out of stock, and I just haven’t gotten around to getting one. So I’m stuck with the “dumb” included foot switch. So at the time I programmed the amp so I could step through patch changes needed in songs. But that’s a pain, and we changed our set around.

So my goal was to be able to use my Ground Control, which is a nicer controller than the optional one from Marshall. But you can’t just plug a MIDI device in. Even if you use a USB to MIDI interface. You need a USB to MIDI host controller. I’ve found a couple that should work, but I haven’t bought one to try yet.

The other reason for wanting to use the Ground Control would be to operate other effects I have. I use a Whammy on a few songs, mostly for an octave up mixed in, but sometimes for the doubling. So I have to bend over and set it between songs. The Ground Control could do that along with changing the amp preset. I have another MIDI controller effects unit I could incorporate too, but right now it’s too many pedals to step on at the same time for certain parts of songs. So I could incorporate a MIDI controlled pedal switcher along with the Ground Control.

I’m just trying to make my time on stage a little less complicated. lol

d10221 likes this.
  18. d10221

d10221 New Member

I would be nice to MIDI control the wah with an exp. pedal
    ...and the amp drive ,I don't like the inbuilt OD/distortion/guvnor
    ... its missing a boost, the compressor gets you almost there

I didn't check yet but I'm pretty sure that if its possible. its going to be with sys-ex instead on cc ,
    so ... without re-mapping midi messages ... forget the MIDI footswitches,

so far ... I like the Jtm45 with the American-A/B, and the Bluesbreaker with the American-A/B, both with e 1936v cabs
    It helps to unscoop and bring back a bit the mids

And the "gateway" should let you move bass/middle/treble freq, ... actually it should be fully parametric.

DavidRavenMoon likes this.
  19. d10221

d10221 New Member

Same plan :)

DavidRavenMoon likes this.