New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Presence affects the high frequencies only. You need to reduce the resonance instead. I've found that using a 1x12 cab emulator helps to tame the bass on the amp models I use most (JTM45 and Plexi).

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

The gate may have to be even lower. Speaker cab emulation choice does play a big part as well as mentioned. Open the back up on yours to see how it sounds, unless that buggers up your chance to return it. It sounds more open and less boomh. If you keep it, drill a big hole in the back. Honest. ​

3. webcat

webcat Member

I have lowered resonance and increased presence, and use a 1x12. I also disabled the cab sim to see how much of a difference that made.

The boom is still there even with the cab sim disabled. I might open the back up if it's just a case of undoing some screws

4. slagg

slagg Well-Known Member

From the clip you posted it sounds like you have the Bass way to high.What do you have the Bass control set at? I run mostly the Plexi model and have the bass at around 2 to 2 1/2. Like a real plexi its Bass heavy.If you crank a real Plexi you have to turn the Bass almost off.

5. webcat

webcat Member

It honestly doesn't make a huge difference. I turned the amp sim off and it still happens. In that clip the bass is at 4 on a silver jubilee model, because the overall tone is good at that level. If I roll the bass back further it's too tinny. The excess bass you can hear in the clip is what happens when I use the neck pickup

6. Quoman7

Quoman7 New Member

Try lowering your neck pick-up, it worked for me!

7. webcat

webcat Member

I've done that too

8. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

You have several choices. Get an EQ pedal, use your bridge pickup or decide whether you want more bass or more tinny.

9. slagg

slagg Well-Known Member

Bass on 4 on a Jube is pretty high IMO.Jube is a tinny amp.
    Could just be the "Crap" speaker that comes stock with this amp.If it has a light thin frame there's your problem. Speakers that come stock in "Budget" amps always suck. Cheapest of the cheap. $10 speaker, $10 sound.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  10. David Elliott

David Elliott Member

That is the first thing I noticed when I replaced the stock speaker with the WGS...the stock speaker felt like it was mounted to flimsy metal and was just super cheap. The WGS is WAY beefier, and in my opinion is a worthy upgrade. Now, that said, I did got with an 8 ohm (rather than 4) GC does not sell them in 4 ohm and I got a $10 off for using my gear card. It wasn't expensive, and I love tinkering. Getting inside the CODE and reading the stuff from the guy that did the DIY rebuild, I like the idea of unmounting the electronics and building it as a head, then either sealing the rest up, building a custom cab, or buying one already built. The electronics/controls would make a super cool little head.

11. jdjung

jdjung New Member

I also like tinkering. I put in an output and input jack so I can used my Marshall Code 50 as a head and the speaker as a 12 inch cab. Took me about 10 mins. The Marshall uses standard unsolderd spade connectors. This means there is no soldering required to keep it in its stock format. FYI if you have studio monitors or home theater system do yourself a favor and use the headphone jack out or better yet digital usb out. It's really on a whole new level then the stock 12 inch. I'm trying to convince a friend to bring his Kemper in to compare the two. Soft tube did a great job and the sound through my receiver was jaw dropping.

Dogs of Doom, mbell75 and mazzefr like this.
  12. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

13. webcat

webcat Member

How much is the speaker you got? Does it affect the modelling aspects at all?

14. David Elliott

David Elliott Member

GC $69 plus about $8 shipping, but I got $10 off as a promo for using my GC gear card. It is an 8 ohm, rather than a 4 ohm which comes stock in the CODE. But, you would gain the ability to attach another 8 ohm cab if you wanted.
    It changes the sound a bit, of course, so you have to play around with the settings to your liking. But the biggest difference is less boomy and flubby, tigher, and less directional.

15. David Elliott

David Elliott Member

Really? Because I have a set of Event 20/20 Biamp studio monitors which sound amazing, and I have a set of Klipsch tower speakers with dual 10" woofers in each that are astounding.

16. AllanAnd

AllanAnd Member

I was wondering... Are the new Fender Mustang GT's "CODE killers"?

Anybody tried them?

17. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Their Fender models are good just like on the previous Mustangs. Other stuff not so good. They're nowhere as easy to program as CODE is without using an app and unlike CODE, you can't manually toggle pre-fx, modulation, delay et al. So no more a CODE killer than their valve amps are Marshall valve amp killers. They're a different product aimed at different players.

18. Martin Maniac

Martin Maniac Member

Yes I have a Fender Mustang GT 40. AND I also just bought a Marshall Code 25. Why Both ?? The user presets that are developed by the communities are great. So I want the best of both worlds. Marshall and Fender. Yes I'll get some duplicate sounding presets, but I'll also get many more by doing it this way. The Fender presets I've already downloaded sound very good, they are real gems, I'm expecting I'll find the same with the Marshall presets as well.

They are two different animals with much different sounds. I just ordered the Code yesterday and will get it Saturday. So I'm looking forward to working with both amps.

I bought an iPod to work with the Fender Tone app and an Android 8" tablet to work with the Marshall Gateway app. The Android doesn't work with the GT40, an the iPod screen is small for the Gateway app. So yes it's a bit of a pain but should be worth it. I love the idea that both amps can record direct into my DAW with a USB hookup. I really think you need both.

AllanAnd likes this.
  19. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

Why spend hundreds of dollars on multiple amps for that? Spend $100 and get Amplitube 4. Its far superior to either the Code or the Mustang.

20. Martin Maniac

Martin Maniac Member

I never heard of Amplitude 4 until you mentioned it. Too late !!

I just checked it out, it reminds me of Guitar Rig 5 which I already have and don't use because software just doesn't do it for me. I want hardware.

Last edited: May 20, 2017