New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

I feel no need for OD pedals with this amp.....they are already built in!

stw500 and mazzefr like this.
  2. stw500

stw500 Member

I swapped the stock speaker to a Celestion V-Type with 8 ohm. Testet 5 other speakers before and this one made the race. The sound is now a bit warmer with my strat and the booming bass is gone. Because of the 8ohm and 98dbA sensitivity the code can be played better at home level.

A bit annoying are the noises, especially at clean settings. It raises with turning up the master volume, especially when turned up to 3 or 4 or higher. The lower the gate the worser. Turning the gate up (e.g. to 2,5) stops the noises, but when the tone fades out it sounds broken and clipps. In my opinion there are two different noises, the one is the "master-volume-noise" which is independent from playing or not. The other one (which can be controlled over the gate) comes only when playing.

I never had a "big" amp before, only small boxes with no power. So i can not judge if this is normal for an amp or if it is "code-normal". What´s your experiences?

3. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

Yes and most sound too digital and fake IMO, not like a true tube amp breaking up. Still haven't found anything that comes close to the sound of the JHS Twin Twelve pedal which superbly recreates a '63 1484 Silvertone. Hence my question. Ive created a few that sound close but rather than fiddling around for hours creating one Im not 100% satisfied with, figured I would just buy the pedal and run it thru a clean channel. If anyone would like to suggest how to get a sound like this from the Code, specifically the really overdriven sound at 4:38 of this video, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Springfield Scooter likes this.
  4. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

The manual states that the "Natural" pre-amp setting is "...designed to be used with external FX...". I'm wondering:

1. Why a "natural" is needed and why use it as opposed to a modeled Marshall pe-amp? At least Marshall anticipated people using external stompboxes...

2. If CODE is a modeling amp, what are the American pre-amps modeled after? A previous post states that neither Fender nor Mesa were used. Carvin? Peavey? Ampeg? Gibson? Randall?.....

5. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

The Natural pre-amp is for things like acoustic guitars and keyboards so that the amp doesn't colour the sound but still gives you a three band EQ. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that live as it's so much easier to go through the PA.

They're whatever you want to believe they are :)

6. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Someone from Marshall did name a couple of the non Marshall amps in interviews and what have you online. I don't recall which ones exactly, a Fender tweed and Mesa Boogie Rectifier.

I've had mine since launch and read and watched all the material in the run up to and after release. The info is out there.

7. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

Love how easy it is to hook this up to my Mac via USB and record it in Garage Band. Only problem is I dont think there is a way to get the preset Im using on my amp into GB, Im stuck using their presets. However, I have found a few I really like, even more than any of the sounds on my Code. So I have just been using one of the cleaner presets and then using one of the GB guitar presets once the track is recorded.

8. Flyingv4me

Flyingv4me Active Member

I just picked up two Codes. A 25 and a 50

Initial impression is good. The more I play with them, the more concerns I have.

One complaint I have is the lack of a speaker cabinet jack.

Secondly... the audio playback when blue toothing or connected via the audio input is not good. Muffled. Blackstar did a much better job on the mp3 input circuit than Marshall has.

The setting changes when hooked into the marshall app via blue tooth are sloopopw

The built in effects are nice. The amp and pre amp models are good. Overall a good value for the money....but improvements are needed

9. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I've found regular Bluetooth is generally quite muffled compared to a direct signal.

Naturally guitar speaker will make it sound MUCH worse than a full range hifi speaker because the speaker is manufactured around guitar freqiencies.

With full range speakers you can get bluetooth close to a direct cable if you have a music player app like PowerAmp which has a pre amp boost and eq knobs plus multiband equalizer. That does a good job of boosting the signal.

The CODE doesnt have a full range driver or seperate tweeter like the spider V which makes it not that great for backing tracks. My Spider V is great for Rocksmith and youtube.

10. Fern

Fern Member

Hey guys,
    I recently discovered Digitech Trio pedal and was wondering if it would be compatible with the Code. Just for the fact that the drums and bass would distort when i would change settings on the amp. Thanks.

11. mbell75

mbell75 Active Member

Congrats! You didn't read up on the fact it had no speaker cabinet jack before you bought two of them? Maybe should have done some homework first. The lack of an external or direct out and things like an effect loop should tell you that these are meant to be used in a studio, home use or practices. These weren't made for gigging, Im not sure why anyone would want to gig a budget modeling amp anyhow. FWIW, I have the 50 and it was plenty loud to be heard over a rather loud drummer at like 3 (9 o'clock), I would guess it would hold its own with a full band rather easily as long as you aren't competing with 100 watt Marshall stacks and bass players with massive bass rigs.

12. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Absolutely! I use a Trio+ a lot. What I do is go from the Trio's headphone out to the CODE's aux in. On my Trio+ there's a volume control for the headphones which I use to set the level. It works very well :)

mazzefr likes this.
  13. Fern

Fern Member

Thanks mazzefr...Now the savings start....$450+ for a Trio + here in Canada...More than the Code 50.

14. Springfield Scooter

Im really enjoying the little Code 25!
    Spent the last few days comparing it to the big Katana 212.
    2 totally different amps.
    The Katana pushes a lot more air, but the Code sounds soooooooo much better!
    The Katana is going to get returned.
    The Code is a keeper!
    Come on Marshall, please release the Code 100 soon!

mbell75 likes this.
  15. Springfield Scooter

The Marshall Code sounds great on its own.

The Digitech Trio sounds good through the Code, but the Trio really shines with a separate and clean amp for the Trio's bass and drums!

The Digitech Trio instructions show how to separate the signals with a clean amp.

16. Springfield Scooter

Are you interested in a genuine 1964 Silvertone 1484 tube amp ?
    Great condition with original tubes!
    I don't have the JHS pedal, but I do have a genuine Silvertone 1484 for sale, and not much more money!

17. Springfield Scooter

Peavey Classic tube amp...... Made in America.

18. stw500

stw500 Member

Hey guys, please look at the backplate of your code 50. On mine theres said "code 50, 75 W". Well the speaker only got 50W. Got the Amp more watt than the speaker? Or is the "quality controll by Marshall England" so bad, that they can´t separate the three different models of the code series? Strange...

Well, i swapped the 8mm thin and light weight chipboard-backplate to a 19mm MDF backplate. Now the sound is firmer and the booming vibrations lower. But my living room vibrates still at higher volume levels...damn...

The ropes hold the internal insulation wool which reduces the vibrations too.

Attached Files:

19. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

The 75 watts is the maximum power drawn from the mains. The CODE 50 is rated at 50 watts RMS. As no amp can ever be 100% efficient so it will need to draw more that 50 watts from the mains if played flat out. Unlike companies such as Yamaha and Roland, Marshall do not try to trick people into believing their amps are more powerful than they really are. For instance Boss's Katana 100 has a maximum power draw of 77 watts yet they tout it as a 100 watt amplifier - presumably in order to deceive potential buyers. Please stop trying to make out that Marshall are the bad guys or that they're incompetent because the opposite is true.

Springfield Scooter likes this.
  20. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

The MG10CD says 40w on the back. As previously stated. Its normal for appliances to be rated higher than their output.