New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. HotRats73

HotRats73 Active Member

I've bought a code 25 few days ago for home practicing and I'm quite happy with it.
    I used to use the softubes sims with my universal audio apollo so I knew what to expect in terms of sound and I can say that the code sounds good.

but there are a few things I don't like.

first one is the code speaker. is not good and the code sounds significantly worst through it.
    second one are the modulations fxs. not very good and placed in the fx loop. I hate modulations in the loop.

third the v30 cab (1960V) sounds wrong to me. I own a jtm 45 and 2555 I play through a 4x12 with v30s and both sound nothing like the code sim. anyway the 1960x is really good so I'm set and happy anyway.

Matsu likes this.
  2. Matsu

Matsu New Member

CODE 50 showed up today. I'm loving it.

[​IMG]

Antmax and Dogs of Doom like this.
  3. Matsu

Matsu New Member

I have the Lester K pedal in front but so far everything else onboard sounds great to my ears. I haven't had any of the fizzy sounds that have appeared in the thread and the speaker hasn't really been run hard and loud.

Once I get the video thing figured out, I will post up some clips.

JBarous and Quoman7 like this.
  4. Matsu

Matsu New Member

Okay, after messing with it late last night and before work today,
    I'm not stage ready with it, but the amp definitely is. I've tried out the JTM45, JCM800; 1962 (Bluesbreaker) and 1959 (Super Lead) mods and they are all nice and in your face.

The stock speaker is nice and punchy but I haven't come close to breaking it in.

Presets are easy enough to access—not as easy as the presets on my entry-level synth, but easy enough.

I haven't even 'dipped a toe' into the onboard effects; I do like that you can just tap them off if you prefer. I have the EHX Lester K in front because CODE doesn't have a good Leslie sim. Obviously the Cry Baby and Octapussy will go in front as well. There is no FX loop nor extension speaker output.

For me there is no need to add dirt in front—hey, they may be sims in a solid state amp, but it is Marshall-loud and punchy with the crunch and grind that I want.

Guitar used for testing is a 1998 Epiphone '58 reissue korina Flying V.

I can't wait to get onstage with this.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. stw500

stw500 Member

Does anyone have a good hint how to break in the code automatically? My Smartphone cant stream music via bluetooth and app all day and a connection via cable from pc to amp playing music sounds horrible.

6. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Looper pedal. Gigging it is a LOT more fun though :D

AJU likes this.
  7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

for anyone w/ tech experience...

Can you check to see how difficult it is to decouple the power amp from the brain? I'm getting tired of waiting for the 100 watt head. My thought was to decouple that anyway too, I just wanted the ¼" out, but, anyway...

If I could decouple it w/o creating more issues, I might just go get a 50 watter & pull the brain out & make my own box, or put it on a rack shelf...

8. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

You could use the headphone jack.

9. Dogs of Doom

10. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Solid-state amps usually don't mind having no speaker connected (Marshall have said it'll be perfectly safe use the 100 head like that when recording via USB) so you'll probably be OK taking it to bits and running without a speaker load.

11. Dogs of Doom

yeah, I understand... If you look inside the box, the power amp is tethered to the brain, & attached to the inside of the box - at least, that was what I observed at NAMM, last year...

12. stw500

stw500 Member

Yesterday I could put the Marshall AS100D and the code 50 side to side. I know one is a acoustic amp and one for electric but I tried to get the code 50 sound similar to the as100d but without good result. The As100D sounded much more warmer than the code no matter which setup I tried. So does anyone have a good setup/patch for sounding the code really warm?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  13. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

Hers what I use for clean. Natural pre, gain volume and bass 10,mid @ 9 o clock,threshold and treble 0, American class ab power amp,resonance 3.6 presence 0, 1936 Cabinet. I use these settings with a humbucker and no tone control, just volume knob. Speaker does need time to break in. The given settings sound great with cheap sony headphones.

Quoman7 likes this.
  14. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Just a quick note that there is a Android app update which mentions a 1.3 firmware update for the physical amp.

New features include patch sharing and storage at the mymarshall website.

https://my.marshall.com/

Just looked and apparently if your browser supports MIDI you can update the firmware on the amp straight from the browser too.

jstich likes this.
  15. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

There is also an update for the gateway app from the play store.

16. Basilios

Basilios New Member

I guess this is their workaround for Mac users to update the amp?

17. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

I tried the browser update last night. It's still stuck part way through the process this morning. I've just emailed Marshall to see if there's any way I can get back to a working amp.

18. Basilios

Basilios New Member

Just updated my code 25 through the browser. Very easy and fast.

19. stw500

stw500 Member

@jstich
    Thx for your patch, i tried it but doesnt fit so good on my guitar. I will have to try further one.

@All
    On my Code 50 there was no firmware update possible, it was said latest firmware already on. Strange...Is there a way to read out the firmware-version of the code?

20. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Looks like the 1.3 firmware isn't released yet. My amp says it is already up to date with 1.1

The Gateway app says in it's changelog.