New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Jam81

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been covered before but can you use external pedals with the code? I just picked up a looper and would love to use it with the code. Haven't had the time to try hooking it up myself to give it a go
I use an external wah pedal(original dunlop slash wah) in front of the amp as I am not a fan of the stock wah effect, It works pretty well and it sounds better than the stock effect in my opinion.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I've not had any success with the acoustic simulator. I think a lot of the problem is that electric guitars tend to have a much faster attack and a lot more sustain. Also I believe it's trying to model an electro-acoustic. To my ears it has that sort of peizo quality to the sound.
I believe electro-acoustic as well. It makes sense as this is an electric guitar with a pickup, I would think that would be very difficult to make sound like an actual acoustic. It's not bad, tne one on my G3 is better. Get rid of some midrange and add presence.

Plectrum

Reaction score
I use an external wah pedal(original dunlop slash wah) in front of the amp as I am not a fan of the stock wah effect, It works pretty well and it sounds better than the stock effect in my opinion.

The built-in wah is actually an auto-wah - a totally different beast to a wah pedal. I too prefer to use a proper wah pedal most of the time but I do use the built-in wah occasionally as a "half-cocked" wah.

stw500

Reaction score
I am just a fun-player and never had a bigger Amp than 15W before. Yesterday i received my Code50, loaded the new firmware and played 2 hours. My first impression is - like many others - that the presets are not the bests, but creating your one sound is easy and brings very nice results. Bluetooth pairing was no problem, USB too. I played with the android-app, with the Marshall PC Editor and the live Editor. Everything worked fine. Just one question: When i am creating patches with the Marshall PC Editor or the live Editor, i would like to leave the amp-presets untouched and only save the new patches to the android-app. But i didnt find a working way to do. Does anyone have a clue how to do?

BillG

Reaction score
I am just a fun-player and never had a bigger Amp than 15W before. Yesterday i received my Code50, loaded the new firmware and played 2 hours.

How does the 50 sound at bedroom levels? I like the display on it better than the 25, but don't want something that's way too loud for just playing by myself at home...

AJU

Reaction score
I am just a fun-player and never had a bigger Amp than 15W before. Yesterday i received my Code50, loaded the new firmware and played 2 hours. My first impression is - like many others - that the presets are not the bests, but creating your one sound is easy and brings very nice results. Bluetooth pairing was no problem, USB too. I played with the android-app, with the Marshall PC Editor and the live Editor. Everything worked fine. Just one question: When i am creating patches with the Marshall PC Editor or the live Editor, i would like to leave the amp-presets untouched and only save the new patches to the android-app. But i didnt find a working way to do. Does anyone have a clue how to do?
good question @stw500, I too am a fun player, we need to stick together there are some serious players on here sometimes ;-).

I'm not sure if I am right but when I was playing with the tools the android app was keeping up with any changes as long as I was set to amp mode on the android. I would have thought when you had the right settings on your android can you not save the settings on the android but direct it to the android save area rather than the amp side.

Just a thought...

PS just did it on the amp made changes to the amp in this case el34 (00) went to save presets on the phone - I have options to either save to amp or library or both just select (cross) which one you want and save it. It saved the changes to the library(phone), I then just told the amp to not save it ( pressed store once and moved it off the setting). Just to make sure I turned the amp off as well and lo and behold it had lost the new amp settings for the el34 (00). I could have also saved it to any setting.

I'm using gateway 1.2.6 which I'm pretty sure is still the latest. You would do the same as I did on the amp but on the web/pc tools and then use the phone to save accordingly. I know the settings made on the tools reflect on the phone if you have it connected at the same time as using the tools so it should work. What you can also do if you mess up is to restore the amp from factory and reload any settings you have saved on the PC/Web system. This last thing is why elsewhere some of us have asked if we can have save/load all option ion the PC tools - James is still contemplating. If you are interested in a save/load all on the PC editor then James has asked for views over here.

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/marshall-code-editor-for-pc.92120/page-11#post-1555746

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

chiliphil1

Reaction score

When you go to save a preset on the app it will bring up the screen where you can name the new patch. In the middle of the screen it allows you to select between amp or phone. Just select the one you want and save as normal.. Also, on the PC program you can save the patches there as well and back up everything that's in the amp and the phone. I would do that because you never know when something may crash.

Does it sound better than Line 6 stuff?

Better than a spider, worse than a POD.

Antmax

Reaction score
How does the 50 sound at bedroom levels? I like the display on it better than the 25, but don't want something that's way too loud for just playing by myself at home...

You have to use an editor to set a patch to work at conversation level. The physical volume knobs don't register properly below about 0.9 which is louder than conversation. More like TV volume. The editors all let you set volumes at 0.1 and up without ruining the sound so you can easily play at bedroom level.

The only negative might be the size. It's quite large at almost 2 feet wide, 1.5 high and 1 deep.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I set my volumes around 2 for each patch and can set a very low level with MV control. Playing by yourself at home gou can still have some volume! The larger display and extra controller make it worth it IMO.

stw500

Reaction score
@AJU
Thanks for the hints, it worked. Optimal would be to save direct pc editor to phone, but the workaround pc editor to amp, saving from amp to app works too.

@BillG
Playing at bedroom levels is possible and there´s no real sound difference...wait...playing at low volume means no vibration of the whole room...but thats okay for me. :) It surprised me how different the volume of the several patches is. You can turn them all down to low volume, but when choosing a new preset (you didnt edit before) be careful not to wakeup the whole house.

@All
Connection with my low quality USB-cable was no problem. But is there a gain (in whatever) when using a cable with a better shielding? When the signals are only digital, it shouldn´t matter, right?

AJU

Reaction score
@AJU
Thanks for the hints, it worked. Optimal would be to save direct pc editor to phone, but the workaround pc editor to amp, saving from amp to app works too.

Glad to help

@All
Connection with my low quality USB-cable was no problem. But is there a gain (in whatever) when using a cable with a better shielding? When the signals are only digital, it shouldn´t matter, right?

Try this

https://www.cnet.com/news/when-are-expensive-cables-worth-it/

makes a bit of sense, I bought a 5M lindy transparent one so I could use pc editor and have amp at a distance seems to work ok. Seems there maybe some usb 3.0 issues though

Antmax

Reaction score
I found that the cable doesn't make much difference. The thing that does is how well your AC supply and computer is grounded because although the signal through the cable isn't going to be effected. the shielding through the cable can carry a ground loop from the AC all the way through to the amp and cause a lot of noise. Here in California a lot of homes built in the 70-'s or earlier don't even have a ground and can be a nightmare for humm and clicks.

With a notebook it's easy to tell if you have a problem. If you get a lot of noise while the AC adapter is plugged in the notebook and none when running direct off of the battery. All that extra noise is coming through the AC through your computer. Fans and dimmer switches HVAC around the house can send all kinds of hums and clicks to your amp through the shielding.

My home was built in the 50's and only half the rooms are earthed and not the study. I ended up passing a wire through the hole our ISP put through the wall for the cat 5 cable and attaching it to the iron plumbing pipe that runs through one side of the house. That reduced the noise by about 70%.

Other problems are RF and electromagnetic noise. My Wifi router is about 2 feet from my PC and the neighborhood power lines are all overhead making a 60hz buzz in hot weather like a hive of bees when you step outside. Single coil pickups pick up quite a bit of noise at some angles while humbuckers are essentially silent. One of the joys of living in a super expensive low crime older neighborhood :(

Reactions: AJU

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
I was able to get the editor software to work. I'm not sure what I did differently, but it fired right up. The software makes on the fly tweaks very easy. The issue I have is that the music from the laptop comes through the Code's speaker instead of my monitors because the usb is connected. Any suggestions on how to have only the guitar come through the Code and music through the monitors while having the amp hooked up to the laptop? Thanks guys.

stw500

Reaction score
When the Code ist connected via USB Windows recognizes it as an Audio device. Just Go to the Audio settings and disable or deactivate the Code.

Arc Anjil

Reaction score
I am (almost) on the verge of returning the CODE 50 to Sweetwater and getting a DSL40C (or something like it). I can't get a good enough sound out of it for me.

1) fizzy sounding speaker. bottom strings to boomy, top strings to treble-y.

2) Sound gets progressively muddy as I play and fiddle with the settings.

3) Uncontrollable feedback at playing level, yet no good feedback sustain.

I've tried some of the user developed patches, to no avail.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I am (almost) on the verge of returning the CODE 50 to Sweetwater and getting a DSL40C (or something like it). I can't get a good enough sound out of it for me.

1) fizzy sounding speaker. bottom strings to boomy, top strings to treble-y.

2) Sound gets progressively muddy as I play and fiddle with the settings.

3) Uncontrollable feedback at playing level, yet no good feedback sustain.

I've tried some of the user developed patches, to no avail.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

My suggestion? Send it back. I returned mine and bought a used semi hollow body and an overdrive pedal. I don't miss it. The thought of a code was nice, low volume, headphones, recording but when it came down to it it just wasn't good enough to work. I thought it was and I tried very hard to like it. When I had the JVM it seemed pretty good, kinda like the JVM in that it gets "reasonably close" but not quite. Now that I have an authentic 800 tone again that code just wasn't even close. So, that's my story, it may not work for you.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I find it feedbacky too. Lower gain and really check EQ. It's not ideal obviously at higher volumes. Better speakef helps, too!!