New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Hmm. I don't know then. Is it a USB 2 or 3 port? a USB 1.0 port might potentially not have enough current. It's designed for USB 2 but seems to work on USB 3 no problem.

Do you get an error on your PC. If it says something like this device is can't be recognized. Sometimes the USB port shorted out by plugging in while power was turned on and you have to completely disconnect power to the computer. Not just shut down but pull out the power cable on a desktop or physically disconnect the batterty on a laptop which resets the motherboard.

There's a utility called USBDeview for the PC that lets you troubleshoot and deactivate and reenable USB ports and devices. That might work without disconnecting the power.

Oh. Make sure you try a different USB port first though. They shouldn't all have problems. If none of the above works I'm not sure what to suggest. It might end up being the USB on the amp thats the problem. You could try a factory reset and unplug it just to see if the USB socket on the amp needed to be reset.

That's all I can think of and I'm not sure if you have a mac.

2. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

Yep. Tried all that. Cable is 2.0. Checked cable with another device and the PC saw it.

Guess I'm calling Sweetwater.

Thanks for your help , Antmax.

3. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Bit of a bummer. At least you got it from somewhere reputable with good return policy. The USB never leaves my amp since those editors came out.

4. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

Well, I just need to be kicked in the head.

After working with Sweetwater tech support, I found out the laptop I was using was in the middle of a Windows update. After that (finally) finished, the update went smooth as glass. :applause:

Jethro Rocker and Antmax like this.
  5. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Lol. Well I'm glad that nothing was busted. I have had these background windows updates effect me in the past too. They have caught me out more than once.

Enjoy the editors and USB recording, they were a game changer for me when I started using my CODE through USB.

6. Greatwhitenorth

Greatwhitenorth Well-Known Member

Did you guys have to download any plugins for the editing software to work. Mine is looking for an app that Windows can't find. Right now I'm manually entering presets with good results. Im starting to really dig the Plexi presets with a little tweaking.

7. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Mine with windows 10 was no issue. Start up the editor, turn on amp, green light came on. Now, I don't know if this makes a difference or not but by the time I tried the editor I had already recorded with it and my asio4all had already seen it but I didn't have to download anything extra.

Greatwhitenorth likes this.
  8. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

The readme that came with the app says something about if MS office isn't installed, then you will be missing a font. The font file is included with the app.

I don't recall much about installing fonts. If that is your problem, try double clicking the font file or seeing if there is a context menu when you right click on it.

Other than that, I don't know of anything.

9. chiliphil1

I tried to install the font and it told me that it was already installed (even though I don't have office) so I have to assume that if it weren't it would have gone through the process but I can't guarantee that.

10. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

It's not imminent, but I'm thinking of replacing the stock speaker with either a Texas Heat or Cannabis Rex. I'll let the OEM speaker break-in before deciding, but it's just so bassy and booming right now.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Eminence series of speakers?

11. pak668

pak668 New Member

Well, I upgraded my C50 with a Fane; I wanted a FRFR speaker mostly to improve MP3 playback and not color the tone of the amp models too much. The Fane was the flattest, fullest range 12" speaker I could find. The increased impedance also makes low volume playing a bit more manageable.

I'm pleased with the results. Specs below:

Fane Sovereign 12-250TC
    FR: 45 to 17k Hz
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Power: 250W
    Sensitivity: 100 dB 1W/1m
    Weight: 11.3 lbs

Arc Anjil likes this.
  12. Jam81

Jam81 Member

I have yet to update the firmware since I have a mac so I have a question for those who have updated the firmware.

Is there a big difference as far as audio quality when recording via the USB cable as opposed to using the headphone output?

Thanks!

13. chiliphil1

I tried a recording with the amp playing over a backing track. I recorded the USB and headphone at the same time. The idea was to switch back and forth throughout the recording to show the differences.. Once I had done it and made the track switching back and forth I could not tell the slightest bit of difference between them, so I just went with the USB audio since it was a little louder in the mix. So, no I don't think that there's much of a difference.

Jam81 likes this.
  14. Jam81

Jam81 Member

Does anybody have a good "acoustic simulator" patch that might come close to sounding acoustic?

Thanks.

15. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

I've not had any success with the acoustic simulator. I think a lot of the problem is that electric guitars tend to have a much faster attack and a lot more sustain. Also I believe it's trying to model an electro-acoustic. To my ears it has that sort of peizo quality to the sound.

16. chiliphil1

I use it as stock, add a touch of reverb and keep the volume high and the gain low. The best thing I have found to get closer to acoustic is to NOT use the bridge pickup.. Even then, as plectrum said it sounds like an electric acoustic, nothing like a dreadnaught.

Jam81 likes this.
  17. Basilios

Basilios New Member

I'm not sure if this has been covered before but can you use external pedals with the code? I just picked up a looper and would love to use it with the code. Haven't had the time to try hooking it up myself to give it a go

18. chiliphil1

Only pedals that work in front of the amp. There is no effects loop, so things like reverb and delays won't work.

19. stw500

stw500 Member

Jam81 likes this.
  20. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Yes you can use external pedals. Some people have reported good success with distortion and fuzz pedals. A looper should be fine.