New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

@big dooley posted some recording many months (and pages) ago which he did using the headphones out. From memory they sounded really good.

2. Jalex

Jalex New Member

not sure if that's the harshness you are reffering to but some of your clips are clipping like crazy.

I had good results turning the volume way down and the master volume way up.

Plectrum likes this.
  3. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

To me all the code patches sound like recordings of Marshall amps played through a cell phone or computer speaker. Very flat and one dimensional.

4. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

A couple definately clipped. I was watching it but some of them had so much bass that it clipped no matter what. I have 2 different meters and they barely touched clipping a couple of times but the harshness is more the fizz that can be heard in it.

I went ahead and redid that demo, this time with the USB. You can hear several times when it does that alien noise thing that everyone seems to be having issues with but I think the tones sounded much better this way.. I may hang on to it and see what the firmware update has in store, if it ever comes out.. Plus I finally tried it with my LPC and it's much better. I think the BB pro's in the faded LP are pushing the front too hard and causing sort of a "clipping" effect.

Anyway, here's the secong attempt, same amps in the same order as before.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  5. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Is that in person or from youtube videos etc. Because the headphone out does sound a bit flat and recording like. The amp sounds pretty good and less like a recording in person. I don't like the headphone out and a lot of the youtube videos sound like they are recorded through it with a flat one dimensional sound.

It's really supposed to be a practice amp and I found it sounds best on a sideboard facing you a couple of feet off the ground. I was slightly disappointed when I first got my 50 because it sounded a bit muffled and boxy. It definitely needed to be broken in. It sounds pretty good now though you do have to dial it in to your particular guitar.

@chiliphil1 Yeah. That weird distortion with USB recording is the one thing holding me back from giving it a double thumbs up and being extremely happy with it.

6. chiliphil1

I'm sure it'll be sorted eventually but I'm kind of suprised they haven't done it already.

I'll also agree with you, in person it does have much more of an "amp" feel and sound to it. Mine is still boxy and farty but hopefully after it has some hours on it it'll do better. It actually sounded pretty good turned up to 5 on the MV but it was quite loud, suprised me that this tiny little box would get that loud.

7. AJU

AJU Active Member

I think they have fixed the issue and its due in the 1st release apparently the testing is taking longer than expected unfortunately. You can get more on the mymashall site - I can't remember which one though but if you go there I think you just need to search for fizz of hiss.

edit:Try looking at
    https://my.marshall.com/questions/37
    and
    https://my.marshall.com/questions/191

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  8. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

Ah i did not know you get a larger LCD display as well.
    Yeah for $50 more i will go with the Code 50 Model.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  9. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

Thanks for confirming about the playing it at lower volumes,
    I was going to go with the 25 as well but prefer the larger LCD display and i think overall i prefer the tone of a 12" speaker.

10. chiliphil1

New recording done this morning.. I've changed my mind, I think I like it. I was going to return it tomorrow when I'm down near the GC store but I think I'm going to hang onto it.. It is sounding pretty good now and I'm satisfied with the speaker sound and the recorded sound..

This demo was done with the USB and the headphone out. Both running into reaper. In the clips it switches back and forth between them, each amp starts with the USB and goes back and forth with the headphones and at the end they are both running together, this produced the "swishy" sound that you hear at the end of each clip..

The amps are (in order) Plexi, 800, JTM, Bluesbreaker, DSL, American OD, JVM, and jube. Slight OD on the 800 and American OD with a touch of reverb on the jube. These are my presets, a couple started from scratch and others were presets I had seen online which I tweaked. There will be a video to follow of these presets.

Rumble and Antmax like this.
  11. chiliphil1

Here's the video showing the settings

12. chiliphil1

That's cool. In my case I don't want for a 12" the 10" does surprisingly well, of course it gets a little boomy and farty when up loud but that wasn't the point of this amp for me. I have a JVM, so I need a QUIET amp which this one works well for. I think that if playing a low volume all the time you would not need the 12" but if you've got the space the $50 is probably money well spent just for the display alone. On that model it shows virtual knobs which indicate their position, on mine it looks like this (8.1--8.2) which would mean that whatever knob you're turning is on 8.1 and is saved to 8.2. With the gateway app though it doesn't bother me at all. I love how I can tuck this amp away practically anywhere and it isn't cumbersome. That's what I was really looking for. In the begining I wanted the 50 because I figured I had to have a 12" but in the end practicality won and I got the amp that would almost fit in a backpack.

13. chiliphil1

Anyone else have air coming out of the F/S input? I found that when I turn it up a little louder I can feel a constant puff of air coming out of that hole. When I stop playing it stops blowing..

Also, anyone ever try to put insulation in the cabinet to make it sound bigger? I know that works pretty well with car audio but I'm not sure on the guitar stuff.

14. oachs83

oachs83 Active Member

Funny i just noticed the air coming out today on mine as well. I just figured the speaker was breathing and didn't look too much into it.

15. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

From some quick research online and this video I think insulation would tighten the sound and reduce some of the boxy boominess but also take out the warmth.

The video comparison test I found is on a HUGE cab but still.

16. chiliphil1

I think I am going to try it. You can just use some pillow stuffing. Kind of like this [​IMG]

What it does it make the air sort of "bounce around" where the speaker feels like it has more space to move air. It really changes the dynamic and is used often with smaller cabinets running subwoofers to keep them from being so boomy. I'll pick up a bag when I'm at the store again and report back.. Biggest concern I have is fire with the power connection being on the back but the material isn't conductive so it shouldn't make any shorts or anything and the amp shouldn't get hot being SS and all.

Antmax likes this.
  17. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Sweet. I look forward to your verdict. I might try it too. I've been thinking of doing some cosmetic mods to make it more closely resemble my Woburn bluetooth speaker with the gold logo, piping and Bluesbreaker cloth. That woudl be a good time to try the insulation.

18. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Mine vents out the jack too once it starts moving air. I like it! Shows it's pumping it out!

19. morgan bucks

morgan bucks New Member

Well I went ahead and ordered a Creamback Celestion G12H... I like the sound of the amp if you dial it in right but there is still a little Marshall solid state harshness on the DSL setting and some others. It may not be that it is SS that causes the harshness because i found the same problem in a DSL40....but the 70/80 that came in it was not a good match for it and that speaker sounds fine in most amps, A Celestion G12K solved that... I have used the partial SS Mode 4 and the regular G12H Celestion cabinet made it sound great, I will let you know if then swap rounds out this little versatile combo! An expensive speaker for a cheap amp but the versatility and some great settings are... worth improving ...if you have the Code 25 you can try the Emi Red fang 10" a cheap and fantastic speaker...let me know if you do!

20. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

Got my C50 yesterday and I've only got a couple of hours on it, but I can see I have some work to do .

Is it me or what? When i set the flanger and phaser settings to zero, then adjust the chorus, the other settings magically reappear!

How do i make sure any pre-fx's and mods I don't want are off?

Love the amp. The MG15 is back in the closet!