>

New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Good point :) The Volume knob is there purelly to allow presets to be balanced WRT the master volume.

2. Greatwhitenorth

Greatwhitenorth Well-Known Member

I picked up a used 25 for $160 last weekend. I'm really enjoying the 800, Silver Jube, and American Clean patches with a little TLC in the tweaking department. With the Gateway app I don't feel like I'm missing out on the bigger screen and extra knobs. I do think I would have liked the 12 inch speaker, but it's not bothering me so far. The Code is a fun little amp.

crossroadsnyc, AJU and Jethro Rocker like this.
  3. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

That's exactly how I see it :agreed:

Greatwhitenorth likes this.
  4. Jalex

Jalex New Member

Now that I have this fun little digital amp I keep thinking abuot that first firmware update...
    I have digital expectations :p

5. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Is there a solution for the farty sounding speaker? I'm playing music through it now to try to help break it in but I was noticing that when I point it at myself it has a bad scratchy sound and the speaker farts bad, almost like a blown speaker effect.. Is that just a product of the 10" speaker?

6. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

it probably hits the baffle... had the same thing going on and it went worse when i put a different speaker in there
    watch this:
    http://www.marshallforum.com/index.php?threads/speaker-swap-code-25.90821/

7. big dooley

hm all the link to pictures are broken... bugger...

8. chiliphil1

9. big dooley

well it depends... i had it only happening with some serious amount of volume
    it also becomes worse with a bass heavy preamp like the dsl in combination with the class a poweramp...
    some combinations just dont work, but that was to be expected

10. chiliphil1

You've got that right! Scrolling through options to build patches there were some combos that were just horrible..

I'm finding that for whatever reason the more "heavy" sounding amps like JVM OD and American OD sound better with the 1936V cabinet. Not sure why but it sounds a lot tighter and less muffled than if I try to use the 1960 cabinet.

I'll also add that I do enjoy the cabinet options and it adds lots of different things that can be done. For the most part though the go with what you would think, plexi and 800 sound best with the X cab, JVM and Mesa sound better with the V cabs, etc.

11. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I really like the PC midi tool because everything is on one page and it's one click to change pre, power and cab. It's so easy to try different combinations on a whim with instantaneous results and no menu navigation. It's all there on the main window. If something sounds muffled just cycle through components for instant comparison. It's really nice.

AJU likes this.
  12. chiliphil1

Yep, it's a GREAT tool. I'm very happy that someone took the time to do it, even if Marshall hasn't.

13. chiliphil1

Well, I got the chance to do a couple of things today. First I plugged into the PC via USB to cable to record. For whatever reason it saw the amp but I could not get it to make any sound, so scrap that.. Plugged in from the headphone out to the interface, worked. I recorded a little (see below) Then I plugged from the headphone out to the power amp in on my JVM, finally I opened up the code to about 1/2 volume.

Here are my thoughts, as far as recording, there is a harshness that I just absolutely cannot EQ out, it's not a buzz but a really scratchy and artificial sounding thing.. I am VERY disappointed with the way that it records. Then, plugging into the loop of the JVM, same situation, the only amp that sounded good at all was the American OD. Finally, turning up the volume, well this worked pretty well, the patches, especially the JTM sounded much better but the amp did still have a boxy boomy sound to it. Even still, if I have to turn up that loud to like it then there is no point. I can play the JVM at less than half of that volume and it sounds 10x better.

With all of that said, if it isn't obvious already this amp is going back. It's a good idea but a terrible execution. Marshall could have done 100 things better but they didn't. I'm just going to return it and get the money back, this amp would never be something that I'd be happy with.

Here is the recording I did and this is after tweaking for hours, I'm sure you'll agree that this amp is just no good.

The amps are, in order
    Plexi
    JTM
    Bluesbreaker
    Crunch American
    OD American
    OD JVM
    OD jube
    Clean American
    Metal edge (stock preset)
    Acoustic
    DSL OD

TKB likes this.
  14. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

USB produced the best recording if you don't get the bug we are all waiting for the firmware to fix. Did you only try the USB one time. I found that about 1 in 5 times I plug USB in, especially if it is already turned on, the amp goes silent. unplug and replug has always worked.

The harshness is prevalent in headphones so I'm not surprised it doesn't come out well in recordings. Been waiting a couple of months for the firmware update that is supposed to fix these niggles.

TKB likes this.
  15. TKB

TKB Member

Thanks for the post Phil. I actually thought a few of them sounded great but I also imagined a bass, drums and vocals added. I guess "good" is defined by the listener. I used the DSL and made my own preset called 80s Rock. You almost have to tune the amp to your guitar. If you can't (or don't want to) tweak the settings then I don't think you should own the amp. Sorry if that sounds harsh but people expect a lot without realizing what its capabilities are. I personally mic mine with an SM57 and get some of the best sounds I've ever heard in my life (and I'm 62). Just moving the mic will eliminate that upper end harshness if your not willing to EQ it out. If you listen to Randy Rhoads on Crazy Train you will realize he has a very harsh sound but when you add the drums, bass and The Ozman it turns out to be rock and roll gold. I don't mean to offend anyone but one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  16. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

Before my Vypyr T60 crashed and died there was (and probably still is) a site that people posted their own settings for songs, bands, and types of music.
    Anyone know of such a site for the CODE's?

My CODE 50 arrives Thursday and I will be able to (finally!) put my old MG15 back on the shelf (YAY!).

17. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Good point TKB. Sometimes you can find master tracks on youtube from the studio which just has the single guitar channel. It can be an eye opener (ear opener I guess). Because often the sound all by itself is not what you expect. Especially if it's raw before it's been mixed and embellished with any extra studio magic.

I've been impressed with my 50 but disappointed that support hasn't been quick to fix the raw edges that make it less than it obviously should be.

18. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

You will love the CODE 50 coming from an MG :). https://marshallcode.tools

That website has user created patches (tones) for the CODE. As well as a web interface that hooks up direct to the CODE via USB. There's also a fantastic PC CODE editor in the downloads section. About 90% better than the official gateway app.

Both tools are made by members of this board :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Arc Anjil likes this.
  19. Arc Anjil

Arc Anjil Active Member

Thank you!

20. chiliphil1

Yeah, just the once. Didn't occur to me to plug it in several times to make it work.. I'll try that.

I did EQ, in the original post it says that I spend HOURS trying to dial it in.