New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. borefiller

borefiller New Member

Hi Guys,

I dialled in a patch on my gateway app and saved it as AC/DC but as you can see since then upto preset no. 45 it's fine then I get this then presets are fine again. But I cannot get my new ( AC/DC) patch to work. I'm using iPhone. Anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers Rob

Attached Files:

2. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I'm still on the fence. I've now played the 50 and the 25. Some of the tones are alright but it reminds me of the line6 stuff where there are a couple I'd use and the rest would never get touched. I was not really impressed with it and it was still quite loud. I even broke out the phone and was using the gateway app to try things in the store. I will get one but it's not on my priority list right now. I just don't think it has enough of what I'm looking for, but it's not bad.

3. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that that is the bug that stopped me using the gateway app on my android phone. In the first month of using my 50 that happened about 3 times and each time I ended up uninstalling, clearing cache and reinstalling. I found the only way to use gateway and not eventually have it crash was to store patches directly on the amp.

Now I just use the PC software. I believe some people have got it running on mac too. And also the web page editor that should work with a mac running chrome browser. That way you can save your patches locally on your HD or the website here

I don't know anything else that can be done except start over and save on the amp or through one of the tools I mentioned.

borefiller likes this.
  4. Sean95m

Sean95m New Member

Also the foot switch really opens up what you can do with the amp. For example I have a string set up where I have a really nice brown sound and I added a flanger to the switch setting. It's awesome to play Van Halen Unchianed and hit the flanger on my pedal in certain parts.

5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Well, I don't use anywhere near all of it, but there are a few models that I really enjoy, and I'd imagine that's likely the case for most people … in fact, I don't think most people use all modes of all channels of the JVM either, so that likely applies to most amps with a variety of tones / features. I wouldn't let that get you down. As for the volume, I've had it well below television / conversation levels (and i mean this literally), so I can assure you that you can get it to where you'd need it at home regardless of how extreme you need to go. When you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd pick one up from a store w/a forgiving return policy, and give it a test drive for a couple weeks and see how you feel after you have some alone time w/it.

Worst Case Scenario - You get to play around w/a new amp for a few weeks

Best Case Scenario - You solve a huge at home playing dilemma for an extraordinarily easy on the wallet price point

6. chiliphil1

Yeah, I'm going to, that's for sure. I'll get the 25 as I liked the size of it. I had a plexi going with a 1960hw and a gov'nor and it was sounding nice but the other models were a let down.. Really I was hoping to be able to have really neat useable oddities, like a 1959 into an American powersection and a 1x12 but it sounded like poop. The thing is that from the time I spent with it the best sound came from the amps as intended i.e 1959, Marshall 100w power, 1960 cabinet. That was somewhat disappointing but by no means a deal breaker. Actually, zzounds has it for 4 payments of $50.. So, I may jump on that in the VERY near future.

7. chiliphil1

Cross, I am about to get dressed and go to my local GC right now.. You've convinced me and I'm going to go get the amp.. Here's the deal though, I'm going to let my wife slap YOU rather than me, deal?

crossroadsnyc, AJU and Sean95m like this.
  8. chiliphil1

Code 25 in hand!

So far, it's alright. Does sound boxy and I'll have to address that when I have time. It seems to work well, the only problem I had was the gateway app not wanting to sync the presets but it seems to work now. I used it as a music player for a second, that works pretty good too.

I returned the Behringer modeler I bought since I figure I won't need it now and traded in a couple of pedals that I wasn't using so I got out the door for $107.00 pretty good I think.

Cross, you were right it does get crazy quiet and still sounds good.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  9. Sean95m

Sean95m New Member

The speaker will take a little time to break in and it will sound less boxy.

10. crossroadsnyc

I didn't like mine on the first day, and learned that it takes a couple of days to learn how to dial things in a bit. One quick tip is to check where the noise gate is set, as some of them are set quite high and it winds up choking things off, so you'll need to pull it back some. Oh, and the presets are pretty horrible, so start w/the clean / fresh patches, and start to just build your own thing.

11. chiliphil1

Oh yeah, for sure. I didn't have but about 10 minutes with it tonight but I'll have some time in the morning. Thus far, as odd as it sounds I liked the presets more than what I was coming up with, especially the Jube as it sounded idiotically fizzy but once I've got some time I'll get it dialed.

12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Set the Jube with lower gain, low gate, EQ it, and pick a cab. I quite like it! I ignored the presets, other than using as a start.
    Saving on amp is easy, I wouldn't let the app ruin things.
    I use
    Jube Heaven plus a SOLO with more gain and volume
    800 plus a SOLO
    Clean
    Low gain 800 for mild breakup
    Acoustic
    JVM Lead
    2555x Solo
    Metal
    One with NO sim (natural) and NO cab. Sounds really in your face.
    There are options to add modulation some patches as well as OD to others via the Switch mode on footswitch. I'm happy. Must get to a practice maybe next week and see....

13. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Also, if you have a computer and usb cable. Try out the two new third party tools. Both are available at this site. You can download user patches straight to the amp. Works much better than the official app.

14. chiliphil1

I tried that this morning and it doesn't work on mac. So, I'll have to plug into my PC and try it over there. I did however do the patches that sounded interesting by hand and I have to say, I'm impressed. This is a really cool little amp for the money. I've now got some classic rock, some metal, etc and it's working out pretty well. I sat here this morning for an hour with the headphones and it was great, no one else was awake and I was rockin! Another thing I really liked was that the pre sets I made with the headphones on sounded good through the speaker too which was nice, I didn't have to adjust them.

I think this is going to be an awesome tool to have, next thing is hooking it up to the DAW and seeing how it records.

15. crossroadsnyc

And you're really only on the first day w/it, so it's only going to get better for you … honestly, bro, I'm stoked that it's working out … you totally deserve it after all of the amps you've been through lately trying to find the right balance for playing at home :cheers:

16. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

You pretty much answered my one main concern i had about getting the CODE
    So it is possible to set this amp to a very low TV volume IF you use the software but since i dont have a smartphone i could just use the software on my laptop correct?
    And one last question? At very low volumes does it matter which one i get in respect to the 10" speaker vs a 12" speaker?
    I don't need the extra watts but if the 12" speaker just sounds better overall even at a really low volume then i would still just go with the 50 for the extra $50?

17. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

You don't need any software to set or use the amp. The 50 sounds much better when the speaker is pushed a bit - well above what I would consider very low volume.

18. crossroadsnyc

I went with the 50 for the larger speaker as well as the larger display. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade at a fair price increase to me.

Ed Hunter and Jethro Rocker like this.
  19. Jalex

Jalex New Member

Since this is THE thread... I'll just throw it here

After playing around with all sorts of gain and distortion, I started recording cleans with the CODE 25 with and SM57 and through USB also.
    I found it very annoyingly noisy.
    A constant audible high end fizz that gets compressed when you start playing. Very apparent when muting a string and plucking again. fizz fizz fizz.

Gate had no effect on it drive had no effect on it, tried every amp, every cab.

What did work in the end was setting volume to 0.3 max, presence below 5 and getting volume using the master volume which somehow does not introduce that silly fizz.
    The first volume knob does not work anyway like on a real tube (aditional gain stage) but as a preamp master volume of sorts so there's no loss tonewise in keeping it as low as possible.

Some of you may want to try.

Cheers.

Tomn, Jethro Rocker and Plectrum like this.
  20. chiliphil1

Thanks cross. Don't tell anyone but I did do that trade for the jvm that I mentioned, so now I've got that 1/2 stack for when I can be loud and I think the code will fill the gaps nicely. I'm not really wanting for anything at this point.

There are 2 volume knobs on it, channel and master. Turning both down makes it idiotically quiet, like so quiet that you can barely hear it over the acoustic noise of the guitar.

Personally I went with the 25 because of the size, it's tiny and the 50 is at least twice as big, I wanted the smaller footprint. Thus far I'm not disappointed.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Ed Hunter and crossroadsnyc like this.