>

New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. webcat

webcat Member

I've found on a Les Paul on neck pickup at full volume insounds incredibly bassy, like there's a low rattling going on. Doesn't happen on a strat or in middle or bridge position in the LP. Has anyone else experienced this? Im using the 50.

ETA: The amp actually vibrates during the above, and it does happen with a Straw too.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. webcat

webcat Member

Anyone?

3. pak668

pak668 New Member

Have you tried lowering the Resonance setting? That might help.

Antmax likes this.
  4. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

My CODE 50 has a knob labelled "Bass". I find if I twist it this way or that way it increases or decreases the amount of bass the amp outputs. Perhaps your 50 has one too? (long shot I know).

JBarous and Antmax like this.
  5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

The guitar at full volume. Where is amp set? I would say neck pickup on a LP through a turned up closed back little cab is going to sound bassy, period. I'm gonna either drill holes in yne back of mine or cut a piece out.

6. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I was about 2 seconds from pulling the trigger on one yesterday. I was in guitar center, cash in hand BUT.... they had a used pod HD500 and I went with it. I figured that the 4cm with midi control of my amp trumps the code, so it's back burner again but eventually I'll do it.

7. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I use an ST-200 turbo tuner on my board but it would be nice to see them address the code tuner as well. It's not even close to being accurate and I suspect the pitch shift is related. An os x firmware utility would be helpful also.

8. webcat

webcat Member

Shockingly, I have adjusted the bass levels (and resonance). Both do make a difference of course but not necessarily what I'd expect - it still does it with both at 0. It's not so much the level of bass in the mix, more with the booming sound and vibrating. The amp doesn't need to be loud to experience it either, home levels around 2 does it, and it's obviously more pronounced in a band situation with the master on about 4.

Bear in mind it does it with the single coils on the Strat too

9. TKB

TKB Member

Well said Jethro! I laid down a few tracks in a studio yesterday with my Code 50 and found that when cranked (a LOUD acoustic drummer was playing) it gets kind of thin but a little more bass cured that. What a great amp this is. It did a stellar job at hard rock yesterday. Even did some convincing Blue Oyster Cult - Career of Evil - with it. I do believe though that if it is miked and at around 1/4 up in master volume it sounds the best. Just my opinion.

10. webcat

webcat Member

Do you find a difference between master volume and the volume for each modelled amp?

11. Tobby

Tobby New Member

It's the same symptoms that were described in past posts in this thread.

It’s something related to the amp input level, and that’s why you can’t notice the problem with something with less output, like a single coil pickup.
    Marshall acknowledged the problem, and said that it will be eventually resolved in a future firmware update.

12. webcat

webcat Member

Thanks for the info. I am getting it with a single coil though

13. TKB

TKB Member

I only use the master volume after each channel is set up. I made my own "80s Rock" preset modeled around the DSL setting. I will adjust the volumes in all settings (except for lead boosts) to all the same level.

Jethro Rocker and Plectrum like this.
  14. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

The CODE smokes the HD500, so I'd exchange it if you can.

Antmax and SC_Gunner like this.
  15. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I've had my 50 for a few months now and am really happy with it. The only frustrating thing is the distorted USB recording that pops up randomly. It's very frustrating and the one reason I shy away from enthusiastically recommending it now that third party tools have fixed most of the holes. <Get your act together Marshall... Grrrr!>

16. AJU

AJU Active Member

Have you shouted at marshall or better have you voted up the problem on mymarshall. I'm not sure they are looking on here or other external forums so cannot really see the annoyance in the outside world. They've been promising the fix for this for some time now and its still classed as soon!.

BTW i've had my 25 for quite a few months as well and also am very happy with it, fortunately I'm not that good that I want immortalise myself on recording so the USB issue has not arisen for me. There are plenty of other things but this forum has helped more than marshall has for most things and especially with James and Goce's recent efforts on other threads.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Antmax and Jethro Rocker like this.
  17. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Already took it back for store credit on that lp faded I got. The intention was 4cm with midi control worked great but sounded like dookie. It completely robbed all the tone from the amp, plugged in to record though, it was sweet. I returned it got the lp and a used behringer modeler to record with, win/win/win.

18. crossroadsnyc

Dude, the CODE is such a perfect amp for you and your living situation … your wife would never complain about volume levels again, and you'd be able to enjoy your playing with a really solid tone. Focus your sights on a big-boy amp for when you can turn it up, and focus your sights on a CODE for when you have to take volume into consideration. I think you'd absolutely love the 2203 simulation they have on there.

Jethro Rocker and Antmax like this.
  19. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It's insane how quietly you can play the 50 and the 25 is tiny if you are limited for space. With the MIDI tools you can set the patches really low. Where the volume knobs on the amp don't really work below 1.0 (it doesn't register properly) the software will let you set it as low as 0.1 - 0.3 and it still sounds decent at conversation level.

20. crossroadsnyc

Totally insane. You could rock out with a sleeping infant on the other side of the room and not bat an eye of concern. It's not the best amp I've ever owned, but it might be the most useful overall in many ways.