New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. lukelovesmuse

lukelovesmuse New Member

I think I'd rather let the retailer/Marshall deal with this rather than voiding the 3-year warranty on the first day.

Jethro Rocker and mazzefr like this.
  2. mazzefr

mazzefr Well-Known Member

Agreed.

3. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Sure no problem. I wouldn't have an issue opening and fixing myself personally rather than ship return for the little $ they are.

4. CliffyG

CliffyG New Member

Oh pedal where art thou?

5. munkee

munkee Member

My 2 button MG footswitch turned on/off the pre fx and mod fx...I'm curious if anyone has tried the Marshall PEDL-90008 with it and see what it does?

CliffyG likes this.
  6. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Just tried it. I can't make it do anything.

7. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

Andy can you coax any real good Brown tones from the Code 25?
    I had the Yamaha thr10x, the blackstar ID 260tvp, the fender mustang,the Vox and the cube and none of these really had that marshall rodded tone?
    I know it is only a $250 amp but i was wondering if i could get a decent VH I and VH II tone at low volumes with the gain being muddy like on the Blackstar and mustang.

8. Ed Hunter

Has anyone tried a tube screamer or other OD pedal in front for a clean boost?

9. Ed Hunter

:eek: superior to a Eleven rack? damn i will love this amp then!:hbang:

Bobby Hamilton likes this.
  10. morgan bucks

morgan bucks New Member

You can dial in early VH with no pedals. I have the 50 and was going to replace the speaker but the stock one is sounding better with a little breaking in.

slugzz-sop likes this.
  11. andy k

andy k Member

I have simple tastes,
    my "clean " setting , on the code 25 is jtm45, vol,bass,and treble on 10, mid 5, gain about 3, gate off,classic marshall 100watt power,pres and res at 5 and vintage 4x12,
    my "dirt" setting is bluesbreaker pre-amp, vint 30watt marshall power, and a 1x12 cab---with guvnor pedal at 5.
    at least i think thats what they are--app has broken again for third time--good job i saved the settings on the amp--cos the app is really infuriating in its behaviour.
    they really need to be fixing this soon -its a huge waste of time setting things up, and then having to re-set the app .
    otherwise the amp is really excellent-i think it could probably get any good tone--saving them might be a problem though.
    I am thinking of getting a 50, for the bigger screen as it will be easier to make patches on the amp itself--I just cant trust the app to work reliably right now.
    cheers guys
    andy k

12. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Yeah. I want to write a 5 star Amazon review for my code 50. Keep hoping the app will be updated and the bugs fixed since right now I can only give it a 4 out of 5. I'm super happy with the amp but the glitchy gateway app has marred the experience somewhat.

slugzz-sop likes this.
  13. C-4

C-4 Member

With all the problems the app is giving everyone, why are you all still screwing with the app?
    I don't even plan to try the app out. All I want are the tones I desire from the amp, and nothing else.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  14. mazzefr

mazzefr Well-Known Member

The app still makes it easier to adjust settings. Just don't save to it, save to the amp.

CliffyG likes this.
  15. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

The 50 is easy to adjust settings, IMO. It's unfortunate that the app sucks...

16. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

App is the simplest way to tweak the amp. It's intuitive, quick and easy to do from your desk which is where I spend most of my practice time. No need to wander over and start pressing buttons. It's all a tab and a couple of presses away. I mostly use the same 6 modified presets and just saved them over the worst of the stock ones stored on the amp, like the one called virus.

Can't wait for the app to be fixed or the ability for the patches to be stored somewhere so the bugs aren't as big a deal.

In some ways I'd prefer the CODE if the controls were in the traditional top/front of the cabinet in easy reach without having to leave the chair and stand over it.

17. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

I suppose that depends on your definition of traditional. I think most of the early Marshall combos had the controls on top (1962, 1974). Personally I'm finding it very convenient when changing settings on the amp.

18. Ed Hunter

In this Vid a PV vypyr sounds better than a code 50 for the plexi preset.
    I dont know the eq settings he used but the PV sounded better/smoother

Mike C and jchrisf like this.
  19. Ed Hunter

any chance of posting a clip? No offence but i have seen players say this before even on really high end gear,
    and the resulting tone was not very early VH at all?
    Not saying this about you personally but i am sure you can understand my skepticism.

20. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Any amp that can reasonably do 800, Plexi, JTM, Jube, JVM should be able to close enough cop it with some tweaking, I would say. Rather than one member having to post a pile of clips trying to emulate a pile of tones from a pile of requests, IMO..
    That tone being somewhat subjective and considering the price point of the amp...

I should maybe clarify - the tone user hears must be translated well over to video of whatever version - phone = boo usually - then end user listens to said recording on who knows what for speakers / headphones and compares it directly to early VH. I doubt it would be the same though to initial user it sounds fairly good.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    slugzz-sop and mazzefr like this.