New Marshall CODE digital amp series

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moony, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Benzel

Benzel New Member

Anyone have had any luck with producing something fuzz like with the effects on the CODE? Are there any forum threads where we discuss our own presets and how to achieve different tones/sounds? Think it could come handy since the CODE has endless combinations.

2. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

press and hold poweramp button, press the edit knob towards the parameter you want to tweak, change value by turning the edit knob...

StoneD likes this.
  3. StoneD

StoneD Member

theres this one..
    http://www.marshallforum.com/index.php?threads/marshall-code-patch-sharing-longhand-for-now.90691/

Lack of fuzz is weird of Marshall, maybe an update will bring a fuzz face and muff at least. A parametric eq would be nice while theyre at it.

CliffyG likes this.
  4. thegaindeli

thegaindeli Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Zoom rack I use to own.

5. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I have no idea but I hope it's like line6's set up. You go to their site, search for the song/band you want download it to the computer, hook pod to computer, and put the patch on the pod in any preset you want. It's foolproof.

The only issue with the L6 stuff and I would suspect that it will be the same with the code is that a LOT of the patches, in fact MOST of the patches SUCK. I'm sure it's a bunch of 14 year olds making them but they are terrible. You can download them but you'll have to tweak them yourself to attempt to get the sound you were after.

6. StoneD

StoneD Member

Spent some quality time with the Code 25. No question FRFR or headphones is the way to go with it imo. I could coax some half decent tones thru the 10" cab, but nothing as good as i was hearing thru my monitors. Thats where its at for me.

I owned a Fender Mustang for years. The Code does the Marshall crunch and gain thing well, and ok to good cleanish stuff. But the Mustang seems to naturally do the clean to bluesy thing better from what i can tell at these early stages. Which makes total sense given the two amp companies. Mustang effects also seem better, and so far im somewhat disappointed in the Code fx.

Theres been a couple weird quirks ive heard in the Code. One was a strange drum sound after each pluck of a note. That only lasted a few seconds but was totally weird. And i think i heard the odd thunk sound someone described earlier in the thread? I dont know.

Anyways im still testing it all out, and want to use it in more of a band practice context side by side with a Mustang. So far im leaning towards keeping it. I'll see how i feel in a couple weeks.

Frank S and CliffyG like this.
  7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I found the thunk goes away if you raise threshold a bit.

8. Benzel

Benzel New Member

I seriously fear that something is wrong with my CODE. Here's a recording of me hitting a few notes, chords, powerchords etc. On the Plexi Classic standard settings, Telecaster in neck position with full volume and tone. I think it sound pretty grumly or "thick". Something sounds weird atleast. I tried the standard setting on EL34 Heaven as Doodles demonstrated on his channel, mine didn't sound even close as good. I know there a different guitars, but my Strat produces a different sound than me Tele, but it too sounds weird in it's own way. Nothing funny in Ableton Live either, just raw audio via USB. I wonder if I might just be paranoid, or does anyone else hear something wrong? What parameters can be affecting this? I run the USB through my chassi USB, and I don't have any soundcard in my pc except the native built in the Motherboard, not sure this could affect the sound? Can the USB cable itself have any effect? Some hidden setting in Ableton?

Here's the clip:

9. big dooley

does it sound like that by using the line out headphone out too?

10. Benzel

Benzel New Member

If you mean line out for recording, nope. I'll try it out though. Did you think it sounded "broken" or strange on the recording?

11. big dooley

don't know... but some combinations do not work... this didn't sound too good imo

12. Benzel

Benzel New Member

Okey. I might just be a terrible soundengineer then.

13. big dooley

well some people set amps with their imagination instead of their ears
    like they want to use a plexi preamp with lots of poweramp distortion, so they pick the class A poweramp and put that through the 1960HW cabsim... i can tell ya, it sounds dreadful, but its not code's fault... :)

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  14. Iagtrplyr16

Iagtrplyr16 New Member

Benzel, like what big dooley was asking, have you listened to your playing that setting with headphones? No idea if it matters, but I know what I hear out of the speaker right now is not what I am hearing out of my h'phones.

15. Benzel

Benzel New Member

Yeah and I must say I think it sounds just the same with headphones. Perhaps this is how the amp should sound simply. Shame, can't say I'm completely satisfied. I mean it's a massive upgrade for me that was playing through a 5w 40$ amp before, but I would still want to be able to produce something reasonably professional into my DAW. And it simply isn't happening, no matter how much I tweak the amp, spent 5 hours yesterday just monitoring my changes without success.

16. Benzel

Benzel New Member

I wonder if it's how I record that might affect my poor quality in sound. I simply run the USB straight into the pc and record. Would it make a difference if I recorded from a Focusrite Scarlet soundcard instead? I'm really not keen on music production yet. How does your setup look like? I don't even have a soundcard in my PC except the inbuilt one in the motherboard. Could that be a factor?

17. big dooley

look very closely at your settings... especially the presence...
    and i mean on the controlpanel of the amp itself... the app has too much issues to be relying on it

18. Benzel

Benzel New Member

Ok. Could you to me the favor of giving me the settings of a patch that sounds great for you? That way I have something to measure with. I'll do all the settings on the amp this time.

19. big dooley

just pick a preamp, poweramp and cabinet, keep resonance and presence at zero and the gate's treshold low... start from there
    settings that work for me, probably won't work for you, as we have totally different guitars

StoneD and CliffyG like this.
  20. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Im on my phone so can't link. But there is a relatively new thread on these forums for code patches. There are a handfull on there.

I have the code 50 and it sounds great. The usb out sounds decent. I record direct from the amp and mix backing from my interface.

Some people have problems with poor quality usb cables. The digital nature of the signal means that should be pretty rare though.

The ground through usb can cause hum off your ac isn't grounded properly and send interference that can effect the sound. But it's usually interference and static not tone altering.