New Marshall CODE digital amp series

shooto

Reaction score
Thank you, I love that album just for that guitar lol, will try dialing it tonight and giving it a shot on the 50...

Try this...still can't find the low mid growl... But I think it's close...

67: Jubilee
Amp: gain 5 (or less),bass 6, mid 6.3, treble 2.2...volume LOUD on master 5 (heh) low on preamp volume for the room to adjust accordingly, noise gate off...power 100w, presence 3.5, resonance 7.5...cab 1960hw (more thump)...all effects off...

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
You can install log pots that fix that issue and changes from 1-5 are far more subtle. Especially with small combo amps, as a vast majority of them are home players.
the master volumes on pretty much every marshall being known are in fact audio taper

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The one on my Jube goes up very slowly indeed; the old 2203 not so much. Went from 1 to too loud real quickly!!! TSL not too bad, jumps up at 2 quite dramatically, 6101 less so.

j.p.

Reaction score
Awesome, now if only I could get off work early....cough, cough.....
I'll give it a shot and post tonight!
Try this...still can't find the low mid growl... But I think it's close...

67: Jubilee
Amp: gain 5 (or less),bass 6, mid 6.3, treble 2.2...volume LOUD on master 5 (heh) low on preamp volume for the room to adjust accordingly, noise gate off...power 100w, presence 3.5, resonance 7.5...cab 1960hw (more thump)...all effects off...

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Great idea chiliphil1! Better than my suggestion, especially since adding new sub-forums is frowned upon by many! Thanks

No problem. I like your idea, it would be cool to be able to go to one place and see all demos of xxxx amp. It would be super nice.

yeah it's great isn't it? a true marshall always reacts like that :D
seriously, turn down the other volume to manage this
it's a bit of work to do that on all presets, but it makes the amp easier to dial in for bedroom volumes

I don't own a code but I'll say this guy ˆ is right I always set the master about half and then use the channel volume to get my output level, this allows much finer adjustment of the volume and once you balance all the channels the volume is always the same and if it needs to be louder you can just turn up the master and not loose the volume balance on the channels.

jbird5150

Reaction score
Hey everyone--first time poster here. Been playing around with my 25 watt CODE for a few days now and just tried the FRFR solution. Really opens things up a lot. If you have something along those lines, I highly suggest trying it if you feel the amp is a bit boxy.

I used a Kustom PA50, about $100 at GC. Bought it a while back to go with a Firehawk effects processor in a failed tone chasing experiment. Ran an aux cable from the headphone to the back of the PA speaker and bingo--instant depth.

I don't gig and I'm certainly not a big-time player--I only mess around at home jamming along with my old 70's classic rock and 80's metal tunes on Pandora. But I've been through every modeler there is. And with the possible exception of the Yamaha THR10X, this is the best thing for home practice that I've seen yet.

Still playing around with it but loving what I've heard so far. :)

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone--first time poster here. Been playing around with my 25 watt CODE for a few days now and just tried the FRFR solution. Really opens things up a lot. If you have something along those lines, I highly suggest trying it if you feel the amp is a bit boxy.

I used a Kustom PA50, about $100 at GC. Bought it a while back to go with a Firehawk effects processor in a failed tone chasing experiment. Ran an aux cable from the headphone to the back of the PA speaker and bingo--instant depth.

I don't gig and I'm certainly not a big-time player--I only mess around at home jamming along with my old 70's classic rock and 80's metal tunes on Pandora. But I've been through every modeler there is. And with the possible exception of the Yamaha THR10X, this is the best thing for home practice that I've seen yet.

:welcome:

Rocktane

Reaction score

Welcome to the MF jbird! Love the 10X!

jbird5150

Reaction score
Thanks. I've been trolling you guys for a while, getting all the scoop on the Marshall gear. Because of my 70's/80's era music affinity, the JCM 800 tone is pretty much the holy grail for me. Been chasing for a long time. Got close with the DSL40c but it was too much for the bedroom. And of course, buying the real thing would cost me a kidney (and a divorce, most likely--would rather keep both the pee-maker and the wife if I can) so it's been hit and miss. Mostly miss. The Southern Hi on the THR10X has been my go-to tone for jamming. Was hoping the CODE would get me as close as possible, and it's certainly looking that way.

Now, if someone would just upload a bunch of patches and save me hours of tweaking... ;)

jbird5150

Reaction score
BTW, for what it's worth, they updated the app for the Marshall Gateway yesterday to version 1.2.7. Improvements in preset saving and playback, as well as Bluetooth connection. So if you were having issues you might want to download that. Haven't see any firmware updates yet.

Derb25

Reaction score

OK for this Newbie what is the FRFR????

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Tried my Code 25 DI'd into my Yamaha 1K PA rig this afternoon. Suffice to say I will not be using the amp like this. It did not interact with my PA's Eq section very well and it sounded very harsh, no matter what I tried. I could also not get the amp to be that loud before there was a very nasty input overload distortion. The only really usable patch I found was the Acoustic one. This actually made my LP Trad sound like an electro acoustic through the PA so at least it wasn't a completely wasted experiment. :shrug:

Iagtrplyr16

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Can we add yet another newbie to the forum? I've been lurking the past month or so enjoying all the different opinions about the Code line, positive as well as negative. So today I became possibly the last 56-year old American citizen to snare a Code 50 until next month's expected shipment; a brand new amp from a GC in New Orleans. Being I'm in Iowa, I'll have a few days to live vicariously through you all until I can begin, armed with my Epi Les Paul Pro, assaulting the neighbors'ears. I too look forward to sharing tones with the rest of the community. Hey, j.p., I also love Allison's tone. Thanks shooto for offering the Donna settings.

As far as the deep discussion that went on last night about the amp itself, like you, I'm here to pick up some ideas, enjoy a good tale, and share a laugh now and then. It's the greatest hobby in the world and that's how i approach it. I respect all opinions, whether you're a pro or someone putting on rock shows in their den. I may not always agree, but have learned over the years and in many forums that if you wish to be respected you have to respect others as well. It's all good fellas, no matter if we think the Code is the greatest thing since the Big Mac or just another attempt to come up with a $250 tube stack! I've read enough on this fine forum to know compared to some of the modelers I've had in the past, this one is probably going to get me as close to my hero's tones as anything so far. I just couldn't do Judas Priest on my Cube 80 as well as I'd liked to.

So here's to all of us who are going to spend the summer of 2016 playing music, reliving our youth, and maybe pissing off someone down the street! Enjoy.

ricksteruk

Reaction score
Tried my Code 25 DI'd into my Yamaha 1K PA rig this afternoon. Suffice to say I will not be using the amp like this. It did not interact with my PA's Eq section very well and it sounded very harsh, no matter what I tried. I could also not get the amp to be that loud before there was a very nasty input overload distortion. The only really usable patch I found was the Acoustic one. This actually made my LP Trad sound like an electro acoustic through the PA so at least it wasn't a completely wasted experiment. :shrug:

That's a surprise.. I would have thought that the code would have worked better than that. Can I ask how you connected it?

Did you go from the headphones stereo minijack to two 1/4in jacks into two line in channel inputs on the mixer?

CliffyG

Reaction score
Thanks everyone who explained the master volume. I was thinking I had a defective unit. It's jarring trying to control through it. Had a similar problem trying thr10s. They should let we unititiated know that amps are being modeled even so far as what could be seen as a defect in the knob work... Way cool we can play like we're using the real things.
Now I'll update my app and get working on those volume settings. More of a clean guy but having a ball with Marshall tones I'd never have messed with before. So, which settings are good for chords? Me no wise in ways of the leads yet. Some presets don't like more than one string at a time.
Thanks again to all those folks willing to share their knowledge and experience... Oh and newbie patience...
Oh and why do I have an unbridled desire to buy an SG?

PU239

Reaction score
Marshall says over 70% of the guitarist today do not gig, they are hobbyist, bedroom rockers, and inspired musicians. So that is one big market folks. Worldwide 80% of all guitarist will never be able to afford a 100watt Marshall stack, in many countries the price of the CODE is a months salary.

The CODE was not launched to be the a JMD1 killer or to compete with their high end amps, it was built as an option for the 70% of players who sit around their house or small apartment and play. The amp had a target budget to be under $300, I think Marshall nailed it and gave players a lot of tones and FX for that price, any bitching seems nothing more then guys not vetting their gear.

Currently the DSL40 still leads in world sales of ANY amp, followed by the MG. Marshall is waiting to see if the CODE will surpass those numbers.

Last edited:

Frank S

Reaction score
The CODE was not launched to be the a JMD1 killer or to compete with their high end amps, it was built as an option for the 70% of players who sit around their house or small apartment and play. The amp had a target budget to be under $300, I think Marshall nailed it and gave players a lot of tones and FX for that price, any bitching seems nothing more then guys not vetting their gear.

Currently the DSL40 still leads in world sales of ANY amp, followed by the MG. Marshall is waiting to see if the CODE will surpass those numbers.

Hi Again:

I think my “bitching” is actually a constructive bitching.

I am not saying that the $250 modeling amp does not sound 100% like a real tube amp, what I am saying is that the pre-amp simulation sounds great but I feel that there is something off with the cab simulations.

Some guys here are even more pro-active and trying to “debug” the issue even further by running the amp through different speakers/power amps.

So I raised the issue because I found it sound strange. Since the majority does not notice this it might be something wrong with my perceptions.

If more people had the same feeling we could run it by Marshall (some of you know the guys at Marshall) and ask if they could take a look at it.

The amps sound is determined by software. Who knows they could have accidentally a parameter configured wrong (like the cab sim software library may been configured for a different speaker…who knows….the QA team/software team might have slightly different hardware than what is actually build into the code.)

So, if it were a software problem all it takes is to update the firmware.

It is the same as some of you were complaining earlier about the Gateway app or Bluetooth connection. Within days Marshall came out with an update.

That is all I am saying.

If if you think I am out to lunch just ignore the post. Enjoy your weekend !

Latest posts