New Marshall AFD100 Technical issues power knob and bias fault

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jcmartiz, Sep 5, 2011.

1. jcmartiz

jcmartiz New Member

Firts Issue:
    I bought a Marshall AFD 100 Amp, this amp was plugged into a Marshall 1960A cabinet and worked fine for about three weeks, after that time started to fail the power control knob giving a shhh sound and suddenly stopped working at all (volume went dead) from 0 to 50%. From 50 to 51% thereis a shh sound but after 51% the amp is working fine, so I have to control the volume with the master knob which is not the “ideal” way to do it.
    If I did not explained myself what the issue is I recorded a video you can find as "issue 1" [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfGx5qeWlMs"]Marshall AFD100 Issue problem with the power knob how to fix? - YouTube[/ame]

Second issue:
    The next month I notice that a V3 light turned on and then I got really worried because that could mean a tube was having problems, but how??? I hardly play during an hour for max 3 times per week! SoI tried the autobias current trimmer so the amp would check if the tube was failing, but after the system check stopped all the lights went on! So I have the V1 V2 V3 and V4 on! This is getting worst and worst so after that I read that the HT fuse may have failed, I tried it with a tester and is working fine, I give up! This is a new amp to have me with so many headaches like this one is giving me . Need help urgently. The curious thing isthat the amp still works; I can use it and play with all the lights on, you can watch the video:
    "issue 2" [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeYrDzkJjTU"]Marshall AFD100 Second issue bias fault lights on the four of them! - YouTube[/ame]

2. Mattwhiteley

Mattwhiteley New Member

I have exactly this problem with my AFD100. No sound when power knob is lower than 12 o'clock. All the valve check lights are red. Did you find any way to rectify the problem?

3. jcmartiz

jcmartiz New Member

contacted marshall support usa, amp i currently there repairing with warranty, do that

best regards

4. ShadJC

ShadJC New Member

I just started having the exact same problem! (had the amp for about the same period of time, power knob problems that have gradually gotten to the point where there's no sound under 12:00 on the dial, and the auto-bias procedure ended with all four bias fault lights staying on) I'm pretty upset right now, as the issues got to this point just tonight when I went downstairs to play (hence why I'm on this forum trying to find answers)! I will say that up until the problems tonight, it was the best sounding amp I've ever heard! It's the tone I've been looking for for the last 20+ years! Absolutely heartbroken that the issues have come up with an amp that truly love!

What is the current status of your amp?

5. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

if rebiasing doesn't solve the bias fault (4 leds lit) there can indeed be a technical problem with tubes or the HT-fuse and in a few ocassions a resistor was blown either way if a rebias doesn't help, use the warranty... that's what it's there for

6. ShadJC

ShadJC New Member

Yeah, unfortunately I'll probably have to send it in. Was just hoping the technical issue had been accurately defined by now along with a specific fix before going through the major inconvenience of sending it in. It seems to be exactly like the issues other people are having with the amp. A "we can't duplicate the issue" response from Marshall will be completely unacceptable. Hopefully, it will work flawlessly when I get I back. It's a great amp, so I don't want to be without it for long!

7. big dooley

there are a lot of stories, that were simply ment to stir shit up, nothing more... a few months ago a lot of newcomers came here, started to bash the shit out of the amp, and when that finally stopped, they went away again without ever telling how things turned out with their amp...
    blah blah blah

8. Mats A

Mats A Member

I´ve had mine since early March never had a problem. Also i´ve had EL34´s in it for quite a while.

9. Andersplaya

Andersplaya New Member

Same here. Great amp, no probs since April. Tried it with EL34's but prefer it stock. A keeper without a doubt!

10. Rafał

Rafał New Member

Why is there no group for the owners, like the DSL and 30th Ann., but more exclusive?

Super Marshall likes this.
  11. big dooley

pavs likes this.
  12. Gblev

Gblev Active Member

I had a short in a tube socket a couple of weeks ago, took it in and got it repaired under warranty, and now it's back to tone bliss. The best thing for you to do is take to a certified Marshall tech and let them go through it, and fix whatever needs to be done under warranty. You'll be glad you did and better off in the long run.

13. ShadJC

ShadJC New Member

Can't wait to get everything repaired and squared away! The amp is seriously rad! I've been able to get a pretty broad range of tone messing with the settings and using different guitars. Although, that Appetite for Destruction tone is really hard to beat! That's pretty much all I use regularly!

My Gear :headbanger:

HEAD: Marshall AFD 100 (traded in a Mesa Roadster and JCM 2000 TSL to get the new AFD 100 - very happy I made the move!)

CABINET: Marshall 1960AV (Vintage 30's)

PEDALS/EFFECTS:
    - Amp Switch (mode and effects loop)
    - MXR Dyna Comp
    - MXR Carbon Copy
    - Boss Chorus Ensemble
    - Slash Cry Baby
    - Boss Chromatic Tuner

GUITARS:
    - Les Paul Standard (faded cherryburst modded with upgraded capacitors and black Seymour Duncan Alnico II's)
    - Les Paul Custom (aged white)
    - Les Paul Slash Signature (Goldtop)
    - 84' Reissue Explorer (aged white with EMG's - James Hetfield version)
    - ESP/LTD KH 603 (Kirk Hammett signature that looks like a black Les Paul with a Floyd Rose and EMG's)
    - USA Fender Strat Lonestar (desert platinum with two Texas Specials and a Seymour Duncan 'Pearly Gates' humbucker)

Super Marshall likes this.
  14. ShadJC

ShadJC New Member

Dropped the head off at a local Marshall authorized repair shop today. They said it would be even better than the original when I get it back in terms of the quality of some of the internal components! Looking forward to that! :headbanger:

NOTE: They had just finished repairing another AFD100 today.

15. ShadJC

ShadJC New Member

Happy to report that Guitar Center and Marshall worked together to replace my defective AFD 100. The new one has been working great! An absolute badass amp!

Super Marshall, JayCM800 and pavs like this.
  16. pavs

pavs Active Member

Whoa man it took a while... or did you forget to let us know... LOL
    Rock on man!!
    \m/

17. ShadJC

ShadJC New Member

I've had the new one for about a month now, so yes it did take a long time to get resolved. I guess limited production run items can be difficult to repair, especially if they include new technology. The power attenuator pot (newer technology for Marshall) was the main issue. They were going to repair the amp by replacing the pot, but didn't have any parts in the States. The authorized repair center said it's a custom pot that has its own board, so really nothing can be used as a substitute without impacting the overall character of the amp. It had been 8+ weeks in the shop at that point, so I contacted Marshall and requested some kind of resolution. They contacted Guitar Center (where I purchased the head), and worked it out so that I was given a brand new replacement. The new head has worked flawless so far! Like the first one, it sounds f#cking amazing! By far my favorite rig to date, and I've had a few! Thanks to Marshall and Guitar Center for ultimately working together to make things right on my end!

Super Marshall and JayCM800 like this.
  18. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

:applause: What else can one say except post pics and clips! :fingersx:

19. ShadJC

ShadJC New Member

Here's a couple clips! I just play for fun (don't read music, just try to play from listening to the songs). I just started trying to play these Alice tunes, so they're not perfect, but I think they sound kind of cool (even though they are just iPhone vids)!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX5Ued9EiXM&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Man In The Box - Alice in Chains - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67C6AuQePo&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Would? - Alice in Chains - YouTube[/ame]

There's also a couple G&R tunes on my YouTube channel at: Shadjc's Channel - YouTube

jupiter89 likes this.
  20. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

Good tone and playing! :thumb: I love that white Custom!