New interesting item on the bench

chuckharmonjr

Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
A friend of mine asked me to look at his Hot Rod DeVille. Kept redplating on him. He broke a tube, which popped the fuse. When he put new tubes in, now it redplates. Started looking at it yesterday. Run away bias. Had to do a double take to make sure it wasnt a DSL..lol. Sure enough, at pin 5 the bias voltage slowly climbs up to zero from -54 or so. Anybody got any ideas?

neikeel

Reaction score
I had one of these.
Probably bias caps. They have flash back diodes on the sockets iirc. New tubes and rebias was pretty straightforwards.
Not bad (very loud) clean tones and good pedal platform. Not great crunch/gain tones.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me to look at his Hot Rod DeVille. Kept redplating on him. He broke a tube, which popped the fuse. When he put new tubes in, now it redplates. Started looking at it yesterday. Run away bias. Had to do a double take to make sure it wasnt a DSL..lol. Sure enough, at pin 5 the bias voltage slowly climbs up to zero from -54 or so. Anybody got any ideas?

Take the knobs off, undo the nuts, cut the wire ties and disconnect the OT (label wires). Take the screws out of the board...
Draw the preamp board straight down till the pots clear, then swing the pots side out of the chassis.

At that point you will see the underside of the circuit board, which may have some crispy / heat damaged copper traces.

At that point you can put a piece of cardboard between the board and the chassis.
Allowing you to turn the power on and trouble shoot / replace parts.

I usually just replace the caps / zeners / power resistors and bypass the cooked circuit tracks with thick solid wire.
Clean the controls and jacks, resolder the board sometimes.

Then there's one more thing that's the PI plate resistors, make sure those are good or replace them w/ better ones.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

Fender deville.png

myersbw

Reaction score
AMS said "At that point you will see the underside of the circuit board, which may have some crispy / heat damaged copper traces."

....and, those crappy ribbon cables? They're not above suspect either. :( Bad, bad construction. I am not a fan of that one.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
AMS said "At that point you will see the underside of the circuit board, which may have some crispy / heat damaged copper traces."

....and, those crappy ribbon cables? They're not above suspect either. :( Bad, bad construction. I am not a fan of that one.

Both Hot Rod Deluxe and Hot Rod Deville are prone to the cooked circuit traces. (in the low voltage power supplies)
(it's not the ribbon cables, it's the copper circuit tracks)
These amps are built on the same circuit board.
But at the same time these are the most popular guitar amps in the world, sound great. Very widely used.

myersbw

Reaction score
Both Hot Rod Deluxe and Hot Rod Deville are prone to the cooked circuit traces. (in the low voltage power supplies)
(it's not the ribbon cables, it's the copper circuit tracks)
These amps are built on the same circuit board.
But at the same time these are the most popular guitar amps in the world, sound great. Very widely used.

Job security, right??? :O ...don't forget the Blues series...

Goldguitarguy

Reaction score
Pretty funny you're fixing a hot rod Deville now because I just got one in three weeks ago with a cooked Power Transformer from the owner trying to work on it. Also found R79, R78, R57 were toast.

The replacement transformer I've gotten is part # 41752 for the newer Devilles and the one on the schematic is #41753. I was assured that the parts were the same before I ordered it. Amp fired up no problem and sounds great. My issue is when I checked the plates voltages I'm sitting at 514vdc which seems high for a 6L6GC. Thinking maybe the transformer is not the same or this is the cause of the problem in the first place.

Can't find specs on the old one anywhere nor does anybody sell them new but the voyages are the same according to the two different schematics of the Deville and Deville iii.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
41753 is the export transformer and 41752 is the standard transformer, noted on the schematic.
If purchased a Hammond it may have a bit higher HT.
Also transformers usually have +/- tolerances and fluctuate accordingly with the utility power.

Goldguitarguy

Reaction score
Yeah I’m an idiot...lol..I understand there is tolerance differences between PT’s and read amp voltages. I’m just concerned that the voltage may be too high for the 6L6’s. It’s 30vdc higher than what the Schematic calls for and 14vdc over the plate max for the 6l6’s. Not sure if that matters because I’ve never came across the situation before.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Pretty funny you're fixing a hot rod Deville now because I just got one in three weeks ago with a cooked Power Transformer from the owner trying to work on it. Also found R79, R78, R57 were toast.

The replacement transformer I've gotten is part # 41752 for the newer Devilles and the one on the schematic is #41753. I was assured that the parts were the same before I ordered it. Amp fired up no problem and sounds great. My issue is when I checked the plates voltages I'm sitting at 514vdc which seems high for a 6L6GC. Thinking maybe the transformer is not the same or this is the cause of the problem in the first place.

Can't find specs on the old one anywhere nor does anybody sell them new but the voyages are the same according to the two different schematics of the Deville and Deville iii.

The plate volts will be high until you load the power supply.
Once the power tubes are in, bias correct, the plate volts will drop quite a bit.
When the bias is dialed in, the plate volts will be about 460.

Last edited:

Goldguitarguy

Reaction score
The plate volts will be high until you load the power supply.
Once the power tubes are in, bias correct, the plate volts will drop quite a bit.
When the bias is dialed in, the plate volts will be about 460.

I biased at 60mA and it's still 499vdc, just seems like a lot. I'm not a tech by any standard though

fifteenohms

Reaction score
At that point you will see the underside of the circuit board, which may have some crispy / heat damaged copper traces.

Also known as “magic Pelosi Bubbles.”

You know. The #ResistanceIsTooDamnHigh effect, where it can’t take the heat it created for itself then tries to get away from the Board.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Yeah I’m an idiot...lol..I understand there is tolerance differences between PT’s and read amp voltages. I’m just concerned that the voltage may be too high for the 6L6’s. It’s 30vdc higher than what the Schematic calls for and 14vdc over the plate max for the 6l6’s. Not sure if that matters because I’ve never came across the situation before.
Which PT did you use? If it is the Hammond replacement at 117VAC and your wall is approximately 120VAC then you are going to have 500VDC on the plates instead of 485VDC.

Goldguitarguy

Reaction score
Which PT did you use? If it is the Hammond replacement at 117VAC and your wall is approximately 120VAC then you are going to have 500VDC on the plates instead of 485VDC.
It was a Fender original replacement from Amplifiied

Latest posts