New headshell for my Studio amps \o/

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
a lot of people bought them, already have other heads & cab's, for the same reason you want the head...

Also, people want to pair it w/ 12" speakers, instead of the 10" that the combo comes w/. There was a lot of complaints about thet.

ken361

Reaction score
Kind of makes me wonder if the same thing can be done with the SV20C. I bought the blue combo because it was the cheapest sv20 I could get but I really wanted to buy the head instead. The combo sounds killer and I'm still not sure if I'll bother swapping speakers out but having the head alone to carry to gigs would be nice instead of the whole combo if I don't need the speaker for a show
I have both combos they are great playing at home cranked but going through my 212 is very loud! Tried a 10in greenback it was good also its very similar to the v type.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both combos they are great playing at home cranked but going through my 212 is very loud! Tried a 10in greenback it was good also its very similar to the v type.
Have you ever tried the Creamback 10 in any of your Studio combos Ken?

Del Rei

Reaction score
Kind of makes me wonder if the same thing can be done with the SV20C. I bought the blue combo because it was the cheapest sv20 I could get but I really wanted to buy the head instead. The combo sounds killer and I'm still not sure if I'll bother swapping speakers out but having the head alone to carry to gigs would be nice instead of the whole combo if I don't need the speaker for a show
Send a message the Sourmash. I guess they can help you.

That's hot. Love it.

Is it easy to swap the headshell?
I just ordered. I don’t know how to build it… or maybe you could re-tolex it…

Reaction score
Send a message the Sourmash. I guess they can help you.

I just ordered. I don’t know how to build it… or maybe you could re-tolex it…
I meant is it easy to remove the hard way chassis from the original head and put it in the new shell.

EDIT: No idea where that "hard way" came from! Spell check gremlins...

Last edited:

Del Rei

Reaction score
I meant is it easy to remove the hard way from the original head and put it in the new shell.
Well... In theory, you only have to unscrew the chassi (4 screws at the bottom of the amp) and screw back into the new headshell.

But in my case, the new headshell didn't come with the screw holes. As they (Sourmash) didn't have any Marshall Studio head there, they didn't have the hole measurements.

When I sent them the general measurements (height, depth, length...), I asked them not to drill holes for the chassis - to avoid mistakes. I prefer to do it myself with the chassis in my hands. And that's a hard job.

The only (and biggest) work for me was the drilling job.

Probably when you buy it directly from Marshall, it will come perfectly. Or if you have a good manufacturer near you, that you can take the amp to him, it's perfect too. But in my case, I live in Brazil and Sourmash is in the USA.

Reaction score
Well... In theory, you only have to unscrew the chassi (4 screws at the bottom of the amp) and screw back into the new headshell.

But in my case, the new headshell didn't come with the screw holes. As they (Sourmash) didn't have any Marshall Studio head there, they didn't have the hole measurements.

When I sent them the general measurements (height, depth, length...), I asked them not to drill holes for the chassis - to avoid mistakes. I prefer to do it myself with the chassis in my hands. And that's a hard job.

The only (and biggest) work for me was the drilling job.

Probably when you buy it directly from Marshall, it will come perfectly. Or if you have a good manufacturer near you, that you can take the amp to him, it's perfect too. But in my case, I live in Brazil and Sourmash is in the USA.

I see - got it. Thank you for the info!

dro

Reaction score
I like as well. Just wondering. Do you guys with the White amps, gig them?

Wondering because, all the white ones I saw when i was gigging, looked pretty rough, from general abuse.

Like a Tweed guitar case. Pretty when new. But after a bit of wear always made me wish i had gotten black.

Del Rei

Reaction score
Wondering because, all the white ones I saw when i was gigging, looked pretty rough, from general abuse.
Like a Tweed guitar case. Pretty when new. But after a bit of wear always made me wish i had gotten black.
Yes, I do!

And Yes, it gets dirty! And I kinda like it.... LOL

SB.jpg

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s unavoidable I think, virtually every white amp I’ve seen, that’s a gigging amp, looks shabby and dirty to me.

If you’re an at home player like my good buddy @Mitchell Pearrow, white amps have a much better chance of staying clean and looking great, for sure imo.

Dirty white amps are aesthetically unpleasant to me, Haha!

middy

Reaction score
A little Magic Eraser will clean that right up.

Latest posts