New Gibson Les Paul Classic..

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Adrian R, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

So like this new to me 08' Gibson Les Paul Classic is turning into a VERY nice Les Paul! Wow, back in mid May I traded a guy straight up for an 01' LP DC..which was a nice guitar..but just never bonded with it. This guitar was in very good condition but needed much work. I was at first taken back by it's light weight... At 8lbs it was the lightest Les Paul I ever felt...but I could tell just strumming a few chords it had something special beneath the poor setup and stock BB pro pickups. ( I hate them..) First thing I did was rip out the pickups and experiment with several different pickups. I oiled the neck... new NYXL 9.5 strings...truss adjustment.. Huge improvement... excellent tuning stability...but something still wasn't right. It had this kind of weird metallic sound in the wound strings. I then discovered the funky bridge! It wasn't stock Gibson...and the saddles were notched too deeply. Installed a Tonepros Nashville..and lastly a Golden Age Overwound PAF in the bridge (killer pickup!) In the neck I settled on a Dimarzio PAF Pro. I also replaced the aging stock Gibson pots and replaced them with some fresh, matched CTS 550K models. In the end one of the best playing AND sounding Gibsons I've ever owned in decades! The chambering might have something to do with it's sound which is really acoustic sounding...bright...very warm... and lively. On the fretted wound strings you can pop pinch harmonics with such ease... excellent definition...perfect for Schenkerish melodic runs... riffs in A are really cool AC/DC like... It just has that classic Gibson rock sound in not only spades...but diamonds as well! This one is a KEEPER...

I just wanted to add that I was skeptical of the GA pickup at first. Dimarzio and Duncan (not a big fan) didn't have any pickups that fit the specs that this one did. It's an Alnico 5 equipped PAF with about 13kO. It's like a slightly laid back 498t that cleans up better. The only thing close was a Jim Wagner Fillmore model..but at $166 I was like ahhh...no... Thought I'd take a chance for less then one third the price. Great, classic sounding pickup with just the right amount of heat and VERY quiet.. No annoying high frequency squealing like you'd get with some of the Duncan and Dimarzio models with similar specs.

gibclassic.jpg

Headache, mirrorman, Derek S and 17 others like this.
  2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

My pair of 1992 Gibson Les Paul Classics:

classiclpsmarshall.jpg

Attached Files:

3. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

My 2019 Classic got an upgrade... I wasnt a fan of the push-pull pots on pcb board, replaced it with the normal gibson pcb (it brightened up the high end on the bridge pickup), swapped the Duncan 59’s set I had with Suhr SSV/SSH+.... the Classic is a different animal now...

jeffb, Hotrodd, MarshallDog and 2 others like this.
  4. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Looks like you got yourself a killer axe bro! After all that excellent work you did it must be quite rewarding. Rock on!

Adrian R likes this.
  5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Awesome,man, glad you got her dialed in and she’s nice looking also. Have you ever tried DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pups in a Gibson Les Paul, they are my favorites!?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. MarshallDog

I have taken all the push/pull pots out of my Gibson Les Pauls also for obvious reasons!

Mitchell Pearrow and Adrian R like this.
  7. Adrian R

Yep, I have a set available for sale. Are u interested? Thank you.

8. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

It opened up the guitar once I switched to the standard Gibson pcb board...the push/pull pots took too much out of tone for me...

MarshallDog likes this.
  9. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Golden Age pups are Stew Mac offering right?
    BP

jeffb and Adrian R like this.
  10. Adrian R

Yeah. A friend turned me onto them. They only offer a couple different models.. But yeah, the overwound PAF is really cool. As good quality as the Dimarzios at least. Plus the wires come prestripped and tinned...with the coil wires already connected together for standard humbucking operation. All u must do is solder two wires and isolate the two coil wires.

11. BanditPanda

Yes I do have a set of their Golden Age Parsons Street PAF buckers.
    Had them in an Ibanez semi hollow body.
    Eventually upgraded to some SD Antiquities.
    HNGD Adrian.
    BP

12. Adrian R

Thanks dude... Man you can spend tons of money on pickups. I'd have a ton of them in a drawer if I was not able to sell of the ones I do not like. Eventually you kinda figure out what kind of sound you are looking for... They have an impact on the guitar's sound no doubt...but only variations of it. They can't make a lousy guitar sound good...but they *can* improve it's lousyness if you know what I mean..but typically they either amplify the crap, or take away from it so it's not as noticeable. For me in the bridge I like the Alinco 5 magnet. Ceramics are just too harsh...to sterile sounding for me. I like the organic nature of Alnico magnets. From there aside from basic quality checkpoints...it's all in the winding...and the kind of wire they use. However, in the end a pickup with an Alnico magnet will sound like another with the same magnet..just variations... I like a mildly hot pickup...and that PAF sound is what I crave... probably because that's what I grew up listening to.. Their all kinda personal.

13. BanditPanda

"....Their all kinda personal....."
    Yes indeed. Those SD Antiquities I mentioned.... I didn't like them in my LP but I really like them in my semi hollow body.
    Weird I know but like you said....
    BP

14. MarshallDog

What colors are they and are they open or covered?

What was it you didn’t like a out them, not hot enough??

15. Adrian R

Hi, open cream coils. Nice sounding pickups...just not enough output for me.

16. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

Nice! Congrats HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

HNGD looks outstanding.
    Cheers

tce63 likes this.
  18. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I am curious as to what it says on the headstock besides Les Paul's signature ? Does it say Classic or Model ?

tce63 likes this.
  19. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

HNGD, Looks fantastic, Congrats

20. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Model.

El Gringo and tce63 like this.