New DSL20CR Owner, worth getting a $70 used Creamback 75w?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by phase27, Sep 30, 2020.

1. phase27

phase27 New Member

Hey guys,

Just got a DSL20CR, used. Loving it, and I don’t really mind the 70/80 speaker in it, but someone locally is selling a brand new G12H-75 Creamback 12" 75-Watt 16 Ohm, for only $70. Only has a few hours use on it (he bought it and didn’t like it for his amp). I don’t know a ton about speakers, and I try to avoid spending too much time in the tone rabbit hole, but I know that’s a good deal - worth buying to try out? I think I could sell the 70/80 for $20-$30, so nets out approx $50 for the Creamback.

I play mostly Metallica, Green Day, Foo Fighters, so I spend most of my time on high gain. But also do play some classic rock, Eagles, Tom Petty… I wish the 70/80 did better with low volume/low gain crunch.

Also if it matters - I usually play at like a 2 volume, opening up to 3 or 4 on the weekends. Would a lower watt speaker be better for me? Or should I try to get a V-Type since thats what comes in the DSL40CR? There’s also a Greenback 25w for sale locally for $75 - but I’ve read those aren’t as good in a smaller combo amp.

Rusty Strings likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get a speaker the same ohms as the stock speaker and put it in a 1x12 cab to sit under your amp. Now you'll be able to play the stock speaker or the cab or both at the same time! :yesway:

3. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

That's a good deal on the Creamback, it should give up the tones you are wanting...I say go for it!

4. Rusty Strings

Rusty Strings Active Member

or
    V type and A type are great speakers, I have them in my vertical Marshall 2x12 cab for the Marshall dsl20h. I settled on having the V type at the top after a few months, but if I had the dsl20CR , I'd probably go with the A type, it has more lows and fuller mids and sweeter and warmer highs when compared to the V type. But if your amp is not tilted (or on a stand) pointing towards your face, V type may be a better choice for the dsl20cr.

5. LearnToSwim13

LearnToSwim13 New Member

Do it! I put a 65 watt creamback in my DSL20CR...so much better than that 70/80. Much more defined notes. Sound is so much better. worse case, sell it for what you paid for it.. It will already be broken in which is a plus, just make sure it isn't blown.

6. LearnToSwim13

LearnToSwim13 New Member

or do what pedecamp said..I am think about building a cab for the 70/80 as i didn't bother to sell it. that way you get a little mix tonally.

7. phase27

phase27 New Member

Hey, great advice! Well the seller went silent on me after initially responding, so who knows, may have sold it already. But if I can get it I will!

I also found this G12t-75, for about $80 after shipping. I like how they sounded in my old 4x12, but does anyone have experience with them in a combo? I don't see them talked about as much as Creambacks, Vintage30's, and some of the others.
    https://reverb.com/item/35883921-celestion-t3760-g12t-75-12-75-watt-16-ohm-replacement-speaker

8. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Great price (on the H75)

Keep in mind it will be significantly louder at the same volume as the 70/80.

9. phase27

phase27 New Member

This video is right up my alley. Doesn't have the Creamback, but a nice comparison of the others going through a DSL40.

I really dig the G12t-75 in this. Cuts through a little more maybe? Always hard to tell in these comparison videos though what else is coming into play based on how he recorded it.

10. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Exactly what I did with the stock V-Type from my DSL40CR.
    I swapped a G12 Century Vintage into the combo and put the V-Type in a Zilla Compact 112 cab under the 40CR.
    They are similar voiced speakers, but the sound is so much bigger now.

11. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Ive had all the creambacks in this amp along with the greenback and Century Vintage. The 75 is the worst of the bunch with the 20 not to mention it doesn’t fit well (tubes). The 20cr Small (size) open back bumps up the lower mids allot...which this speaker already has tons of. The 75 has seriously extended (very) high frequency which (IMO) does the DSL’s no favours. I’d absolutely go Greenback #1, then second place 65 or neo creamback. Vintage 30 or Century Vintage possibly if your all about the mic.. but really these last two do way better with the 40cr.

jeffb and SkyMonkey like this.