New Boomer On Board

BustaCap

Reaction score
:welcome: to an old Boomer! This Gen X'er weirdly enjoys watching/listening to Boomers & Millenials go back and forth. Cheap entertainment for the times. :cheers:

A DSL 40C or DSL 40CR would get you there with change to pocket. Some like them some don't. I thought my DSL 40C was pretty darned good considering the cost. You should be able to find one for $600 USD or less if you really hunt for it. They have a half power switch to bring them down to 20 watts which is still loud when cranked. I preferred mine on full power and just kept the master volume low when needed. It will get the tones you're after or very close IMHO.

Good luck!
Well then. I'll have you over for dinner sometime so you can enjoy the scrap between me and our Millennial and GenX kids. I won't even charge you for the entertainment.:duel:

I'm more inclined to buy new so I'll be looking into the DSLs, combos included. As much as I'd like a head/cab rig, the tone is what I'm really after but I am surprised that Marshall doesn't offer a 40W head in the series. And upping the budget won't be a problem since I'm also planning on spending extra for accessory items. It'll be several weeks before I before I make any buying decisions. More fun than shopping for a new car, yes?

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
:dude:
My tastes run toward rock/metal from the 70s to the 90s. I follow musicians more than bands when it comes to defining my place. Take Ritchie Blackmore, Jake E. Lee, Vivian Campbell, Warren DiMartini, Vito Bratta, George Lynch and similar others as examples. But I also found a few European slingers like Magnus Karlsson, Alex Beyrodt and Mats Haugen that grabbed my attention too. I'm not a big fan of modern metal and definitely not a djentleman.

I live with my wife in a single-family house with neighbors close by, most of whom are also up in their years. I have no desire to antagonize cranky Geritrolls with loud playing, hence my need for something that will meet the need for satisfying tone at low volume. My "studio' is a spare bedroom about 15x15.

When it comes to inflicting pain on small animals, I fear my wife more than the law. Besides, she's the one who suggested I find an amp I would really like. I'm not about to blow that opportunity. I know how to compromise.

Yeah, I'm on a budget. I'd like to keep the base cost of an amp to around 1K or so. Pedals will drive up the cost of admission, but I can do that incrementally. As long as the dog is happy, I can enjoy my existence as a kept man.

I can't complain. :dude:

Go DSL20 or SC20 and a nice cabe (1x12 or 2x12) and get a good attenuator (nice and not expensive: weber). you will have tons of fun and your relation with your neighbours will be safe.

You can go EVH LBX too...

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a DSL20HR (my 2nd Marshall after SV20H), and paired with a good cab/speaker it's a great and budget friendly start in tube amp territory. I think my DSL is very versatile, and has a broad tonal range toghether with some well-chosen pedals.

And it's loud.

Last edited:

BustaCap

Reaction score
Hey, all.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I've been digging through past MF threads and already learned enough to weed out a lot of noncontenders. Practicality and cost are steering me to a DSL40CR or possibly a DSL20HR and cabinet. Both can be had well within my budget but the combo looks to me like a better value. On the other hand, I still like the idea of the 1x12 cabinet and a 20HR. After all, who doesn't like a little head?

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Hey, all.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I've been digging through past MF threads and already learned enough to weed out a lot of noncontenders. Practicality and cost are steering me to a DSL40CR or possibly a DSL20HR and cabinet. Both can be had well within my budget but the combo looks to me like a better value. On the other hand, I still like the idea of the 1x12 cabinet and a 20HR. After all, who doesn't like a little head?

We all love a good head.

Cheap cabs with nice speakers: ampeg 1x12 loaded with V30, harley bentom with a v30. seriously... get anything loaded with greenback, creamback, v30, evh, g12t-75 that you will be able to do whatever you want.

No puns intended, but a head is always better. you can change your speaker later, you can go closed back.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Hey, all.

D19OLXGXcAAS6ee

Latest posts