New Boomer On Board

BustaCap

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone.

I'm a retired telecomm engineer who went back to the guitar after a super long absence. The last tube amp I bought before falling off the edge of the world and into the chit salad of life was a Fender Bandmaster that I ran to the ground back in the late 60s. Over the past several months I acquired a few SS amps but Now I'm looking forward to finding a real amp to play the 80s Dad rock that I've always loved. Finding this group wasn't difficult. Simply searching for "Marshall Forum" did the trick. I'm pretty sure I'll learn everything I need to know here to make the right choice. Or two. Keep 'em hangin.

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone.

I'm a retired telecomm engineer who went back to the guitar after a super long absence. The last tube amp I bought before falling off the edge of the world and into the chit salad of life was a Fender Bandmaster that I ran to the ground back in the late 60s. Over the past several months I acquired a few SS amps but Now I'm looking forward to finding a real amp to play the 80s Dad rock that I've always loved. Finding this group wasn't difficult. Simply searching for "Marshall Forum" did the trick. I'm pretty sure I'll learn everything I need to know here to make the right choice. Or two. Keep 'em hangin.
Welcome to our forum! I have no idea what an "SS" amp is but I can tell you a lot about Marshall Valve amps as well as my Marshall brothers here. You have come to the right place.

1. What Musical genre do you relate too?
2. How much space to you have, in other words how big is your jam space and how far away is your closest neighbor?
2.1 If your volume kills small animals is it a problem that will involve the law?
3. Are you on a budget?
3.1 Will exceeding that budget result in divorce? We have counselors @Vinsanitizer is an amazing life counseling resource! :agreed:

More to come!

Last edited:

BustaCap

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
Are you interested in a particular Marshall?
Not yet, but I'll keep my options open. We have a spare room used as an office and now more of a studio where I wang my chung. I don't anticipate gigging but that possibility exists as I still have a few friends who play. That said, anything I buy will be 50W or less. I've been only recently considering buying another amp but it may be a tossup between getting a new model with sub watt capability or going with something more gigworthy and adding an attenuator to the mix. I'd like to go with a head and cabinet rig just because I want one. And add nostalgia to my list of reasons.

Crikey

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone.

Welcome Mfer!
Get you a plexi or a 2203

BustaCap

Reaction score
:dude:
Welcome to our forum! I have no idea what an "SS" amp is but I can tell you a lot about Marshall Valve amps as well as my Marshall brothers here. You have come to the right place.

1. What Musical genre do you relate too?
2. How much space to you have, in other words how big is your jam space and how far away is your closest neighbor?
2.1 If your volume kills small animals is it a problem that will involve the law?
3. Are you on a budget?
3.1 Will exceeding that budget result in divorce? We have counselors @Vinsanitizer is an amazing life counseling resource! :agreed:

More to come!
My tastes run toward rock/metal from the 70s to the 90s. I follow musicians more than bands when it comes to defining my place. Take Ritchie Blackmore, Jake E. Lee, Vivian Campbell, Warren DiMartini, Vito Bratta, George Lynch and similar others as examples. But I also found a few European slingers like Magnus Karlsson, Alex Beyrodt and Mats Haugen that grabbed my attention too. I'm not a big fan of modern metal and definitely not a djentleman.

I live with my wife in a single-family house with neighbors close by, most of whom are also up in their years. I have no desire to antagonize cranky Geritrolls with loud playing, hence my need for something that will meet the need for satisfying tone at low volume. My "studio' is a spare bedroom about 15x15.

When it comes to inflicting pain on small animals, I fear my wife more than the law. Besides, she's the one who suggested I find an amp I would really like. I'm not about to blow that opportunity. I know how to compromise.

Yeah, I'm on a budget. I'd like to keep the base cost of an amp to around 1K or so. Pedals will drive up the cost of admission, but I can do that incrementally. As long as the dog is happy, I can enjoy my existence as a kept man.

I can't complain. :dude:

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
:dude:
My tastes run toward rock/metal from the 70s to the 90s. I follow musicians more than bands when it comes to defining my place. Take Ritchie Blackmore, Jake E. Lee, Vivian Campbell, Warren DiMartini, Vito Bratta, George Lynch and similar others as examples. But I also found a few European slingers like Magnus Karlsson, Alex Beyrodt and Mats Haugen that grabbed my attention too. I'm not a big fan of modern metal and definitely not a djentleman.

I live with my wife in a single-family house with neighbors close by, most of whom are also up in their years. I have no desire to antagonize cranky Geritrolls with loud playing, hence my need for something that will meet the need for satisfying tone at low volume. My "studio' is a spare bedroom about 15x15.

When it comes to inflicting pain on small animals, I fear my wife more than the law. Besides, she's the one who suggested I find an amp I would really like. I'm not about to blow that opportunity. I know how to compromise.

Yeah, I'm on a budget. I'd like to keep the base cost of an amp to around 1K or so. Pedals will drive up the cost of admission, but I can do that incrementally. As long as the dog is happy, I can enjoy my existence as a kept man.

I can't complain. :dude:
Excellent choice in musicians! Your creditability just went up! :cheers:
I don't know what a "Djentlmen" is but I once saw Steve Terryberry do some crazy thing on "Djent"
Happy Wife; Happy Life, she suggested you find an amp so you are most certainly on the right track here!
Unfortunately, I cannot make a reasonable suggestion for a set-up in your budget range. however, someone will be able to relate to your circumstances and offer an affordable suggestion that will help you get close to the tones of the musicians you relate too.

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 4 suggestions simply because some of these heads have really shot up in price if buying new and may be hit or miss finding a decent deal on a used specimen.

1987X with a good od and an attenuator, 70's 80's all day long.
2203x with or without and attenuator, 70's 80's all night long.
2555x by it self like a 2203x on steroids but can be easily dialed into the past.
6100LM by itself will do all of the above and more. Will get you into the vast Marshall world of tone.

Just suggestions and yes i do own all of the above.

Old Punker

Reaction score
:welcome: BustaCap! :applause:

I mainly play rock/hard rock and early metal (mostly 70's and 80's). I also have a similar size music room and keep the volume fairly reasonable. I have tube amps in the 1W to 50W range and they all sound good at basement volumes.

I got the Marshall SC20H (20W JCM 800) and the matching 2x12 cab and I'm very happy with these. I get excellent rock tones in the 20W mode at home even without an attenuator. I use a JHS Little Black Amp Box in the loop which allows me to turn the MV up to 3 or so, greatly improving the low volume tone of the amp. You mentioned the 2203 and the SC20H is basically a more home friendly version, and costs less too. It sounds like you lean more towards the heavier tones so in that case you may want to consider other speakers. When I want to play some Ozzy I just plug into my Mesa Recto cab (V30's). I don't gig but I know that others here use their Studios for that and are very happy with them.

I hope you find one that works for you.

:cheers:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
:welcome: to an old Boomer! This Gen X'er weirdly enjoys watching/listening to Boomers & Millenials go back and forth. Cheap entertainment for the times. :cheers:

A DSL 40C or DSL 40CR would get you there with change to pocket. Some like them some don't. I thought my DSL 40C was pretty darned good considering the cost. You should be able to find one for $600 USD or less if you really hunt for it. They have a half power switch to bring them down to 20 watts which is still loud when cranked. I preferred mine on full power and just kept the master volume low when needed. It will get the tones you're after or very close IMHO.

Good luck!