New amp day!!!

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Emtbreid, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

24F088F5-DAEB-4F5D-8EEC-95254B564CBB.jpeg Whoah.....

This thing is great.

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Sounds great peavy made some great stuff .

stringtree and Emtbreid like this.
  3. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds great and congrats on your new amp!

stringtree, tce63 and Emtbreid like this.
  4. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

Congrats! What is the model?

stringtree and tce63 like this.
  5. Emtbreid

Peavey 6505+ 112. All tube. 12AX7 x 5, 6L6GC x 2.

6. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

7. Emtbreid

Just for my info... since I’m coming from a EL84 amp..... I happened to look in the back and noticed the tube on the left looks like it was running a bit hot and faded the label. I’m guessing I should change these out soon? I realize it looks like the discoloration is inside the glass, but it’s reflection from the label. 8BB66415-72EE-49EF-ADA9-6E9D3A386812.jpeg

8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I would change them, plus I don't like Ruby tubes. I don't know what to tell you to try though, do some sniffing around and see what Peavey's like. The amp is awesome, a lot of their stuff is. Do you know if it will run on EL34's? My Carvins will run on either, as well as 120 - 240v, so you can dial it in the way you want it. If you have other amps you can try the tubes from them to see what it likes. Find a Peavey forum and see what they say. Congratulations on a great find.

tce63 likes this.
  9. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I had one of those for a brief stint...
    Ended up liking the Vypyr tube/hybrid head more.

Still a great sound amp, especially with an 808 up front.

10. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Happy New Amp Day For Sure! :dude:

Dig the pic and clip too!
    Nice heavy kraaang! :jam:

jchrisf likes this.
  11. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

A small fan would do some good for cooling . I think when tube are upside down the base soaks up to much heat. You see a lot of combo with them

12. Emtbreid

I’m not sure if it’ll take a 34..... the bias circuit in this amp is a bit wonky. From what I read, it’s a non adjustable fixed bias for some reason..... there’s allegedly a mod to change out a few components and allow for adjustment. I’ve read that Ruby tubes are what comes in these from the factory, and these are all ruby. I just happened to peek in the back last night by accident.... was curious to see what the tubes were and put a nice relatively unused tung sol in v1/v2. Seeing that label concerned me a bit.

13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

If Rubes came in them then they may be just fine. When they design a circuit around a tube it will usually work fine. I don't like JJ's much either but I just bought a Chupacarbra and was going to buy it without them. I was told to try them because it was set up for them, they were right and it works great. There is no real reason to go to EL34's, just gives you something to try. If it would take them there should be a little switch on the back that says 6L6 / EL34. Make sure the tubes you get will work with the bias. Hard to tell why the tubes discolored, but if it sounds good I would just play it and keep an eye out for a good sale on whatever tubes they recommend. What speaker did it come with? The new Peavey cab's are loaded with some nice stuff and ata good price point.

14. Emtbreid

There’s no 6l6/34 switch anywhere I can see. Every single preamp tube has a cover on it, but I assume they are all Ruby (v1-v2 definitely were... they are now tung sol). I have a handful of JJ I can put in the other 3 spots. The discolored tube concerned me, especially considering the super cool bias from the factory and inability to set bias without changing components. The speaker in it is a Sheffield 1200 I think? I haven’t opened the cabinet but that’s what’s supposed to be in there.... guy said it was stock. I have an older g12-65 I was thinking of swapping out and seeing how it sounded. I’d also considered setting the Marshall combo on top of the peavey and plugging it’s speaker into the peavey to run both at the same time, but the cable isn’t long enough ...

15. Emtbreid

There’s no 6l6/34 switch anywhere I can see. Every single preamp tube has a cover on it, but I assume they are all Ruby (v1-v2 definitely were... they are now tung sol). I have a handful of JJ I can put in the other 3 spots. The discolored tube concerned me, especially considering the super cool bias from the factory and inability to set bias without changing components. The speaker in it is a Sheffield 1200 I think? I haven’t opened the cabinet but that’s what’s supposed to be in there.... guy said it was stock. I have an older g12-65 I was thinking of swapping out and seeing how it sounded. I’d also considered setting the Marshall combo on top of the peavey and plugging it’s speaker into the peavey to run both at the same time, but the cable isn’t long enough ...