>

New 2X12 Cabinet Build

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by David Copeland, Sep 24, 2021.

1. David Copeland

David Copeland Member

I recently got a couple of Cerwin Vega ER124 speakers off eBay so of course I had to build a cabinet for them. This one was going to be 3/4" pine board with 1/2" ply front and back baffles. I was also going to figure a tuned port on the rear baffle. Well here are the pictures:
    IMG_20210909_203106r1.1.jpg IMG_20210909_204758r1.1.jpg IMG_20210913_202249r1.1.jpg IMG_20210916_101113r1.1.jpg IMG_20210923_115104r1.1.jpg IMG_20210924_095345r1.1.jpg IMG_20210924_095504r1.1.jpg

Attached Files:

Geeze, BlueX, Peter McAteer and 9 others like this.
  2. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I like the Strat jack socket on the back - cool. Maybe add your own 'brandname' somewhere on the front baffle? :)

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Interesting design with the opening at the bottom of the back. Did you test what it sounded like with the opening and without?

4. David Copeland

David Copeland Member

No, actually, I measured the T/S parameters on the two speakers and did a tuned port design that resonates the box/speaker combination at approximately 71Hz for one speaker, 67 Hz for the other (difference in the T/S parameters), which is just a bit below standard tuning for the guitar low E string. The slot you see at the bottom is the size port called for to make this happen. Playing a bass on the low E string and walking down from the 12th fret you can hear where the cabinet/speaker unloads and stops producing the fundamental tone. Using a sealed box will only raise the resonant frequency which will cut off the speakers low end at a rate of about 12 db per octave. But I didn't do a sealed box design to see exactly where that would happen. Just it would be higher than the ported design for the same box size.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    pedecamp likes this.
  5. David Copeland

David Copeland Member

The Strat jack plate takes up way too much space on a guitar IMO; but for a speaker cab where there's lots of room I like it since it doesn't stress the cable or the phone plug pointing down like that. And yes, I'll probably add one of my logos to the cab just as I have on the amp.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    BlueX and PelliX like this.
  6. Johan

Johan Member

Beautiful woodwork, but IMO the cab would look soooo much better with a nice grill cloth instead of the bare black baffle and metal speaker covers.

Ufoscorpion and David Copeland like this.
  7. David Copeland

David Copeland Member

It probably would, and I may well do that in the future. I just haven't gotten around to it at this point. But your comment does beg the question; what grill cloth style would work best with this? Salt and pepper, some sort of light tan, basket weave?

8. David Copeland

David Copeland Member

BTW, I really like the way these sound.

9. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

or, you could get a full face metal grill custom made...

PelliX and David Copeland like this.
  10. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

I used a similar speaker grill on my MG15 micro cabs build.
    The baffle plates are made from OSB and covered with a thin sheet of black ABS plastic that has a textured surface.
    I used an adhesive between the two, but it's also held in place by the face frame and the speaker grills.
    Not a grill cloth, and a nice covering to hide the OSB.

MG4.jpg MG10.jpg

11. Johan

Johan Member

I’m a sucker for Marshall large check, but on this cab I think Vox diamonds would look fantastic.

PelliX and David Copeland like this.
  12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

I was on my way out, when I posted this. I ordered my grill from here:

https://www.reliablehardware.com/customspeakergrill.aspx

I ordered black expanded metal. I had the edges bent (all 4 sides) inward towards the cab. Then you order a dense, black rubber spacer tube w/ screws & washers to install the grill...

On mine, I did a 1" bend, the depth of the cab face is deeper than that, but, there are braces, that are just about 1" deep.

PAUL1348 copy.jpg

Edgar Frog, Geeze, BlueX and 3 others like this.
  13. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I really like @Dogs of Doom 's idea with the metal front, but the VOX diamonds... would be the winner for me. :applause:

David Copeland likes this.
  14. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Nice looking cab! I really like the clear finish on the pine - lacquer or other?

Regards,

Russ

David Copeland likes this.
  15. David Copeland

David Copeland Member

Thank you! Actually the finish is several coats of wipe on poly. While it's somewhat time consuming it doesn't require a whole lot of effort.

Geeze likes this.