Need Trade Advice Jvmhjs

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by chiliphil1, Sep 16, 2016.

1. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've got the new 2016 American standard Strat up for sale. Locally I have found a guy with a jvmhjs who is willing to trade me his half stack for the Strat and my h&k grandmeister with cabinet and everything.

At the same time another guy offered me an American elite telecaster for the Strat.

Which way do you guys think I should go? Trade Strat and amp for the jvm half stack or keep the amp and trade the Strat for the tele?

Which seems like the better deal?

dreyn77 likes this.
  2. MexicanMike

MexicanMike Well-Known Member

I think I'd go with the Elite Telecaster. I think it's a bit overkill he wants your H&K stack on top of the standard strat. Then again trading just your strat for his JVM probably isn't fair to him so I would use that as your initial offer, come in a little low & wait for the counter.

The Telecaster elite for your standard strat is just lopsided, great value there. I think you would murdalize that trade. Have you seen the new Elites, Phil? They're damn nice.

3. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I think it depends on the guitar. If it's awesome and has a personality and a voice, those are very few and far in between. You can get a JVM any day, but not a stellar guitar. That's assuming of course that the guitar is a bit of a godsend. But like I said, great guitars are few and far in between. Amps you can find anywhere anytime.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    dreyn77 and MexicanMike like this.
  4. chiliphil1

I've played an American elite Strat and wasn't too impressed. The guy said he swapped the pups for David Allen fat 59's and added paper in oil caps. Could be cool.

As far as lopsided, I agree both ways. The elite for my standard I win pretty big, the amp and guitar for the jvm I loose a little BUT it is a satriani amp and I do want a JVM very much bad.

Yeah, I think you've got a point here. I think I'll meet with the tele guy and see what it's all about and go from there. Either way, I think I'd be happy with either deal.

Just looking for someone to say "no dummy" on on or the other.

5. MexicanMike

Things vin likes:

- hotsauce... CHECK
    - aliens... CHECK
    - pickguards.. CHECK
    - stellar guitars.. CHECK!

Bear R. likes this.
  6. Oldpunk

Oldpunk Well-Known Member

Depends on how much you want a Tele and or a JVM rig or something else. Play the elite and see if it speaks to you. I think the elite series are awesome...would love a strat elite.

7. MexicanMike

Try haggling the amp guy, maybe you can get a better deal.. Does the Tele guy have the original pups?

8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

If you've always wanted a JVM, do it!! It's more about what you want and what you're willing to give up for it, to me. Other deal, you lose a Strat and gain a tele. How much improvement there? (Besides Teles being butt ugly...) :applause:

Bear R., Durden and Oldpunk like this.
  9. MexicanMike

Ask the JVM guy if he will take an Elite Tele straight up for the JVM...

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  10. Durden

Durden Well-Known Member

If you want another amp (JS jvm half stack ) go the amp, if you want a telecaster and your happy with the H&K amp go the tele. Figure out which one you can't afford to buy and what you want the most, a tele or new js rig

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  11. Bear R.

Bear R. Well-Known Member

If you weren't Impressed with the Guitar then it's the JVM hands down..

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  12. Bear R.

Bear R. Well-Known Member

and Red Rider BB guns...

Don't poke your Eye out Vin..ha,ha..

MexicanMike likes this.
  13. chiliphil1

No mention of the stocks.. So, not sure. From what I am gathering it should be brand new, so I dunno. I don't think the amp guy is going to haggle much. Truthfully I think the trade with the H&K would be about right. That JVM rig new would be like $3600.. The strat and H&K new would only be $3200..

Yeah, I mean I think teles play great, this one is the metallic orange color which I LOVE. However, the JVM, well.. I've missed my old one since I got rid of it. At this point I think I'll try out the tele and go from there, may see if I can try out the JVM too. I had a standard JVM, this one being the JS is supposed to be much better.

That's the catch 22 for me. Neither is something I can afford. The strat @ $1,299 was about my max and so the $2,600 JVM is out, as well as the $1,799 tele.. So, either one is a trade up for me. The tele is more of a "I don't really like the strat" kind of thing more than it's a "I want a tele" kind of thing. However before I bought the strat I played an American special tele and I really did like it. This one being the elite should kill the special.

Yeah, I agree. I think that's how I'll go.

Durden and Bear R. like this.
  14. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Don't do any of the deals. There's always another deal tomorrow.
    Sounds like you don't know what you're doing with the stuff.
    Tele and a strat are completely different things. Why no G&L in the deal somewhere?
    By now you should be either using exclusively tele or strat.
    Sounds like you're a multi thing collector. You thing everything is an option, which is why it's all so confusing.

Sounds like you need a few more years to learn what you like. This problem is also a sign of living in madness gear acquiring for too long! Your collection is eclectic not focused.

15. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

How is the H&K, I've heard great things about them. Is is an amp you will regret parting with?

I can never manage to part with my gear which forces me to save as I never trade, so I don't know what I would do here.

If you don't like the Strat and H&K maybe this is a good move trading for the Marshall, but if you like your amp that clouds the issue a bit for me.

As for the Tele, that just depends if you like the thing. If you don't then I guess you haven't lost anything, you just have another guitar to trade and are in the same place you are now.

FFS, can you post at least once with out resorting to insulting someone.

I have a Strat, Jag, Les Paul, ES, ESP, no way would I want to restrict myself to just one of these guitars.

Each one has its place and it's not confusing at all. But if does give me a lot more tools to achieve different sounds.

Jethro Rocker and MexicanMike like this.
  16. chiliphil1

I do like the H&K. It's actually a VERY good amp and it does a convincing Marshall tone BUT, like all Marshall "soundalikes" it's missing something. Certainly doesnt have the smack of the EL34 power section and seems more compressed. I think there may be times when I would miss it but at the same time I don't feel any reservation giving it up for a JVM, to me that's my grail (along with the YJM of course)

The strat, eh.. It's off and on. Sometimes I love it and others I just put it back in the case rather than playing it because I hate the thing. I don't know what it is with that guitar but the other day I played it and it sounded alright but then I grabbed my LP and it just murdered the strat, so that's what made me really decide to let it go. I wanted a cheaper guitar that would be a better one to just grab than my LP but it needed to at least come close to the LP in terms of tone and everything but this strat sadly does not.

You do also have a good point that if I trade and again find I don't like it then I would still have a guitar to offer on trades and this time a more valuable one.

Also, on the insult part.. I don't recall insulting anyone, if I did I didn't mean to. Oh, just realized it was Dreynn.. I've got him blocked so I didn't see it. Funny stuff.

17. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

Glad it's you making the trade and not me.

I've no idea what I would do, all though I'm not a Tele guy so that may remove one option.

18. chiliphil1

Well, I went ahead with the tele.. This thing is a BEAST. The pups he installed in this guitar take it from twang to metal. Locking tuners, included strap locks, better case, etc.

I think I won on this one.. May still consider that JVM since I want one so much but for now I'm pretty happy with this tele.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MexicanMike

20. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

She's puuurdy