>

Need To Upgrade From Class 5. Need Some Suggestions/help

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Chris4189, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Wailing

Wailing Active Member

18 watt Marshall ‘Bluesbreaker’ 1973x or a TMB clone of some kind ?.... hits the spot.. especially with a Germanium treble booster

2. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

I have the 20W Head.

I played it mostly stock for a couple weeks, just switched out V1, but I did alot of rolling for a couple more weeks and now it is-

V1- Ruby AC7HG+ (Same tube as TAD/Tube Store 7025 and standard pin Golden Lion 12ax7)
    V2- Ruby AC5HG
    V3- Sovtek LPS
    Mullard RI EL34s

I'm not 100% on the Mullards yet (, but overall it was a significant improvement in feel, vintage flavor, and getting rid of some spikey frequencies.

Chris4189 likes this.
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

Get on Craigslist or GC used and track you down a 5010
    Been one here on New Orleans Craigs forever , hell, I woulda got it if I didnt have one already

Or if you wanna spend some cash , get a 4010....one of my best sounding / most versatile Marshalls

Truth be told , I can do near about every gig with a Lead 12 ....except outdoors ,where I break out the artillery

Yeah, Skynyrd used a mish mash of Marshalls n twin reverbs....but it was 1974, you could get away that sh^t. Nowdays , not so much

Mitchell Pearrow and Seventh Son like this.
  4. BrentD

BrentD Active Member

It might not be what you want, but a JTM45 is a lot closer to a 30-watt amp than a 1959. There are tone differences but you're still getting a classic Marshall.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Chris4189

Chris4189 Well-Known Member

Problem solved! Landed a ‘96 reissue 1959 with a master volume and hooked it up to a vintage 1960 cab with greenbacks and with a Firebird, LP or SG it has Southern rock tone in Spades!

It responds very well to using the guitars volume knob.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  6. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

The Lead 12 rules. Such a warm, punchy amp.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I realize that you have already found the solution to your problem, but let me just add a word of wisdom for anyone who may be reading this. What I have found is that it is important to use the right equipment for the size of the room and for the occasion. For example, I have a Reverb 12 for daily practice and noodling in my apartment, a DSL15C and DSL20CR for home recording and small gigs, and a 6100LM half stack for the biggest rooms and most professional application, if the need arises. I came to this realization through my Sony home surround system that I use in stereo to listen to CDs. I used to have a real small stereo with tiny speakers that sounded great at any volume. My big Sony speakers, however, sound flat at low volumes and have too much bass for the room. The surround system was meant for people who have homes with large living rooms or home theaters, not for tiny apartments.

Similarly, there is absolutely no need to play through a 4x12" at home. Even the 10" speaker in my Reverb 12 is almost too much for home use. Bigger speakers and cabinets will always sound warmer and therefore more musical, but that has to be weighed sensibly against other factors, such as room size, loudness, your neighbors, your dogs, your hearing, and other factors. I like the Reverb 12 that I recently got (a transistor amp), because I can turn it on and it's ready to go right away and is not too loud, which makes it more likely that I will pick up the guitar and practice every day for about an hour.

Ikaros and Mitchell Pearrow like this.