Need some advice with the Vintage Modern

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kody, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Kody

Kody Member

The amp sounds great and on the neck pickup it sounds thick as honey but....The problem I’m having is on the bridge pickup it sounds extremely thin and shrill. I’ve tried every type of settings imaginable. I’m starting to think maybe this is just a characteristic of this amp. I guess it could also be the pre amp tubes even though they have really good tubes all ones recommended by guys over at The vintage modern forum. Just looking for some additional advice but I’m starting the wish I had just went ahead and gotten the silver jubilee reissue

2. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Hello Kody ,....what guitar and pickups do you have ?

Was it biased properly?

3. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member

Agree with Kelia above. Check the bias values, mine were crazy high from the previous owner.

Maggot Brain and Kelia like this.
  4. Kody

Kody Member

I have set the bias on the higher side of the recommended setting from Steve D over at the roadhouse. Which is like 74-80 and it’s set at about 79. Also the guitar is a Les Paul standard with Seth Lovers in the neck and bridge. I also had the same issue with the original burst buckers and Alnico 2 pros. The neck sounded great with those as well but the bridge was too thin and trebly

5. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

• Well now we can eliminate the guitar and pickups cause what you have is great but not normal to have a thin sound on the bridge.

Are you able to take to plate voltage on pin 3 and do the right bias calculation ?

Also , when you say thin sounding, are you on LDR or HDR where V2 is important?

Gotta go but someone else will help by chiming in !

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Raise the pick up before messing with the amp . Sounds like a weak signal

7. Kody

Kody Member

I’ve tried the pick up low, just shy of touching the strings and everywhere in between, it’s definitely not a phase issue because The middle position sounds fine. And I don’t mean a weak signal type of thin just can’t get the highs out without taking the mids and treble completely out. The overall tone is nice and rythem sounds good but the leads just isn’t as chunky as it should be like it is on other amps I’ve played this same guitar through.

8. Kody

Kody Member

Forgot to mention that LDR and HDR is the same issue

9. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I have a VM combo. May I ask what detail and body settings you use, and where on the Master volume?

Maggot Brain likes this.
  10. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Are you using the mid boost on the amp?

This situation is tricky because what can sound thin to you may not to someone else. I play a strat with my 2266 and have no issues with thinness in tone.

Sounds like your fairly informed/experienced to be looking at the VM forum on musicians roadhouse. So I am going to guess you know how to dial in the VM.

If not,

1st: set the foundation of your tone with the Detail and Body first

2nd: Adjust Tone controls to fine tune your foundation tone

The Body controls the bass and mid frequencies, might want to run it closer to where you have your Detail dialed to.

I also discovered preamp tubes make some dramatic changes to the voicing of the amp. JJ tubes sit in the low to mid frequencies, kinda muddy in my opinion. Ruby tubes that I have tried sit heavy in the higher frequencies.

11. Kody

Kody Member

I run my body 2-4 steps lower than detail regardless of where the detail is set, I’ve tried it closer to the detail higher, completely off( which oddly seems to thicken the tone up) but regardless of how I dial it in standing in front of the amp is just ear piercing, now standing off to the side or behind the amp it sounds nice and chunky. I wish I had another les Paul with identical parts so I can rule out that maybe my les Paul is just naturally really bright. I have played it through other amps including a Marshall sv20h that I had and I only had this issue with the burstbucker pros, once I swapped them out I didn’t have the issue. Other than this one complaint I love the amp. If I could only get a thicker lead sound on my bridge pickup it would be perfect. I even threw a set of Different power tubes in a little bit ago and it had the same sound more or less with the gold lion tubes and JJ’s. So this tells me the issue must be originating in the pre amp section

12. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Where I'm coming from there is that, although this amp has a ppimv, master volume it really needs to be up at 5 or so to get the tone. At low home volume, it can sound thin, I found it too. But I love this amp.

This issue led me to design a perfect attenuator for it. Its what I use every day.

GIBSON67, Trelwheen and Maggot Brain like this.
  13. Kody

Kody Member

I’ve played it with the master dimed. It does sound much better and thickens up but still has the piecing highs and a bit on the thin side for what a les Paul normally sounds through a cranked Marshall stack

14. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Once you can get the master up (I find best not at max but in the 6-7 range), then the presence control is fully effective and can help control. But, bridge pickups into fully cranked amps sound piecing to me anyways!

Do you have combo or head? I set my combo on the floor.

15. Kody

Kody Member

It’s the 2466 head with the matching slant cab

JohnH likes this.
  16. Kody

Kody Member

I’ve played it with some backing tracks and it sounds amazing so I suspect this amp will sound wonderful in a band situation but by itself it seems a little too bright. I’m definitely wanting to get my hands on a silver jubilee still but I’d hate to get rid of a matching cab and head and regret it later. I have a feeling that these will be really sought after Amps in the future. Compared to when they first came out the general opinion of these amps has shifted dramatically

Chris-in-LA and Maggot Brain like this.
  17. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Is it thin? Or just "Ice pick" treble?

Pull back the presence, use the Treble to compensate or try vice versa, pull the treble and add presence.

Also I believe the tone controls operate by pulling frequencies. So diming all tone controls will give the "truest" tone/signal and can add body and gain.

18. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Try swapping the preamp tubes around . Maybe one of the tubes is not on the right spot on the power curve

Maggot Brain likes this.
  19. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Put a short plate tube in v2. A vintage RFT is best but a JJ will suffice. Dial in your lead tone first. The amp is designed to ride the guitar volume in a live situation. Therefore with your guitar on full is your lead tone. Chunky rhythm tone should be around 3/4 on the guitar volume....I'm guessing you know this, but worth mentioning.
    If you are sat directly in front of a 425a, it's going to sound toppy. They are designed to fill a large room. You mentioned it sounds good off centre, so just sit off centre for practicing at home.
    4 x 12's are not really designed for use at home.
    If I'm cranking my 2466 through my 425 A&B, I use my wireless and go and play in the next room coz' it just sounds so good.

Maggot Brain and nickfox like this.
  20. Kody

Kody Member

Yeah that’s a good point because if I step into the next room it sounds sweet

Georgiatec and Chris-in-LA like this.