Need Info About Marshall G12 Speakers In A Silver Jubilee Cab

gilded

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum, but not Marshalls, Celestions, etc.

Most of my experience with Marshall gear is with amps and cabs from the '70s.
That said, I wound up with a Silver Jubilee 4x12 slant cab that's kind of growing on me. It just looks cool!

The metal tag on the back of the cab says:
Model 2551AV, LEAD 4x12", 280 W.R.M.S, 8 ohms, serial number :- 0434.

The cab has original wiring. It is also missing 2 speakers, but the two that are left are Marshall G12 8ohm 'Vintage by Celestion' speakers. The ink-stamp read CV 27 2 (march of '87) and T3896 (96 is for 8 ohm speaks, right? 38, I don't know about).

I've read about those speakers and heard one on a YouTube speaker shoot-out. I have read that those speakers originally came out in '85 or '86 in the Studio 15 amps and were also used with the Jubilee series amps, some mosfet-powered cabs, etc.

I have looked on eBay and Reverb for those speaks and have found a few, but almost all have white ID tags on the side of the magnet which means that the speakers are relatively new, yes?

So, I am looking to replace the missing speakers I have with original 1987-year Marshall G12s. Three questions:

1) are those 1987 vintage speakers actually findable, or should I just be satisfied with the later model speaks?

2) when did Celestion start putting the white ID labels on the side of speaker magnet?

3) Is Celestion still making the proprietary Marshall G12 speaks, or have they been discontinued?

Appreciate any thoughts and opinions, gilded

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
you will be hard used to find 1977 Marshall badged g12 vintage speakers , not impossible but difficult . Marshall av and bv cabs use the exact same speaker to this day , they come up individually all the time on eBay , so any year will be the same .

Adieu

Reaction score
you will be hard used to find 1977 Marshall badged g12 vintage speakers , not impossible but difficult . Marshall av and bv cabs use the exact same speaker to this day , they come up individually all the time on eBay , so any year will be the same .

1977? Impossible

V30's debuted in the mid-80s

If you want UK celestion v30's, options are:
1) 20th century production, used
2) Marshall or Mesa sourced, used, any year
3) Mesa website, sells em retail new

New V30's from all other sources will be Chinese. Used, possibly some other cab companies had UK? Not sure. Most didn't.

Now if you want Marshall Vintage label v30's.... Solely from Marshall cabs and amps. Although maybe their service center can hook you up if you're replacing blown/missing ones? Idk...

Mesa certainly sells their UK v30 version shipped to your door to whomever, long as you got a credit/debit card, no ownership or anything needed. But Mesa's v30's are a different T#### and allegedly slightly different sound, although if you're replacing 2 out of 4, it will probably yield a nice result

Last edited:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
I believe he meant 1987 year.

Just buy the oldest Marshall G12 Vintage able to get your hands on and you will be set.

Or combine with G12-Heritage or G12T-75 speakers. These are great combinations.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
yep , apologies meant 1987 , thinking of the other jubilee here in the uk .

gilded

Reaction score
OP here.

First of all, I've learned a lot about Marshall G12 speakers in this thread, so thanks to every one who chimed in!

Second, I had two other questions, one about 'when did Celestion start using the white ID labels on the sides of their magnets?' and the other one, 'questioning if Celestion still makes those proprietary Marshall G12 speakers?'

Dr. Decibel sent me a reply to those two questions this morning:

A) Celestion began using the small ID labels on the magnet sides in the early 2000's and

B) Celestion still makes those 'Marshall G12' labels for Marshall.

Hope this info might be helpful to someone down the line! All the best, gilded

Adieu

Reaction score
OP here.

First of all, I've learned a lot about Marshall G12 speakers in this thread, so thanks to every one who chimed in!

Second, I had two other questions, one about 'when did Celestion start using the white ID labels on the sides of their magnets?' and the other one, 'questioning if Celestion still makes those proprietary Marshall G12 speakers?'

Dr. Decibel sent me a reply to those two questions this morning:

A) Celestion began using the small ID labels on the magnet sides in the early 2000's and

B) Celestion still makes those 'Marshall G12' labels for Marshall.

Hope this info might be helpful to someone down the line! All the best, gilded

They're NOT marshall g12 in a model sense

Pretty sure G means guitar and 12 is the size, all Celestion 12" guitar cab models are g12-somethings.... most speakers in Marshall cabs, with the curious exception of the bog standard T75, are labelled Marshall G12-somethings

The model you're looking for is "Celestion Marshall Vintage", often called a "Marshall V30" online because:
1) vintage means something else and confuses the hell out of everyone and search engines especially
2) it *is* the Marshall version of the Celestion UK V30 speaker

If you can't source the Marshall-labelled one, its closest relatives are:
1) UK V30 - discontinued, available used
2) Mesa Celestion V30 - still UK, still available new retail from mesa website
3) China V30 - today's Celestion, now made in China, sounds different....costs about the same as Mesa's proprietary UK V30, which seems kinda messed up

Last edited:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Marshall T3896(8) & T3897(16)
Marshall ModeFour T5321
Mesa T4335(8) & T4416(16)
Celestion T3903(8) & T3904(16)
Relic 30 T5489
Vintage 30 T4297

I show 6 different V30's. The Marshall Labeled V30 does not show up too often individually for sale, usually bought in combo's
or 1960AV or BV cabs. Great speakers and good luck finding some.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Marshall g12 vintage speakers are easy enough to find in the UK but that's to be expected . I'm thinking about getting an empty 1960b cab and fitting it with the x2 Marshall stickered g1280's I've already got ( currently in the 1922 cab I've been using my evh lbx with ) and x2 g12 vintage . That combination would sound great I think , would make my 2203 half stack into a full stack , a boyhood dream realised .

Last edited:

gilded

Reaction score
OP here again.

I bought a couple of 1987 Marshall G-12 8 ohm speakers yesterday from a pawn shop (curio shop?) in Montebello, California.

Not exactly clean looking; scratched up labels, badly re-glued dust caps, but for the price I can recone on of them without feeling too bad.

Here's the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestion-...F9WSpsDZFM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Question: What kind of re-cone kit should I be looking for? Something on eBay. Should I contact Marshall or Celestion?

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
From my understanding, and I did a lot of reading, on a lot of forums... the Marshall G12 Vintage is the original spec speaker. Its the same one as that 1987. Still made in the UK, still made to the same standard/specs.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Strange that the two g12 vintage speakers that came with the op's cab are 8 ohm , they are usually 16 ohm in a 4x12 stereo cab .

soundboy57

Reaction score
The "Marshall Vintage" speaker was proprietary to Marshall, and was the first version of the "Vintage 30", coming out in around 1987
If you want the original tone, replace with those.
I see them on Ebay all the time, but not in 8 ohm.
There are numerous versions of the V30, as mentioned, all slightly different in tone.
8 ohm speakers came in Canadian cabs, to go with Canadian heads that only had 4 and 8 ohm output, eh....

gilded

Reaction score
OP again. FYI, this isn't a stereo cab.

The cab serial number appears fairly low, as in #043X. The speakers in the cab date to March of '87 and the replacement speakers date to January of '87. That's why I bought them. I figured that, all things being equal, they might all sound the same.

As to what's in a Canadian cab, I wouldn't know! I do know that the cabinet has been in Texas a long, long time.

dragonvalve

Reaction score
These are what are in my '90's Slash cabs.

MARSHALL G12 16 OHMS SLASH CAB - Copy.JPG MARSHALL G12 16 OHMS SLASH CAB. FRONTJPG - Copy.jpg

Here's a good demo of these woofs.

Last edited:

XTRXTR

Reaction score
the 1987 anni 2x12 2556a&b has G12T-75, the 1982 anni 4x12 has G12-65 also known as the G12 Heritage series (I believe)
According Celestion Yngwei and Satriani use the G12T-75
The G12 Vintage 30s have a slightly lower end Hz response and are used by Slash, Steve Stevens, and Peter Frampton

IMO if its Celestion its pretty good. I have never done an A/B compare to Weber speakers but they are widely used as well.

A mix of two types will give a nice tone like G12 Vintage 30s with G12-65 or G12T-75

Latest posts