Need help with amp decision!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Highroller54, Apr 4, 2021.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yup, I agree LBSB, but some would disagree. I saw a post in a different thread where a member here called the SC20, (among other 20 watt amps), a “toy amp”!

2. Highroller54

Highroller54 Member

So many suggestions and great observations. Still haven't decided. My initial search was for a vintage modern. I know where a mint half stack is at but it's way out of my budget and 400 mile drive. I kind of in a black hole where I live. There isn't anything used within 200 miles of me except that one JCM2000 DSL 100 I mentioned in my first post. This area has no music seen, so there isn't much to choose from. even Columbus seem to be lacking. I appreciate all the input and will keep searching. The used market is friggin stupid right now. Everything out the is way over priced or junk. Everyone seems to think what they sell is going to set them up for life, finance wise. Even the low budget MC, MX and MG 4x12's people are asking 1960A prices, and the 1960 cabs are way up from a year ago. I may have to wait for the feeding frenzy to calm down, right now everything is at a premium.

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

If you can spend $1000 or maybe slightly more you can buy a brand new hand wired amp. Go here and look at the British amps and hot rod Plexi amps. http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/british-style/

http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/hot-rodded-plexi/
    I have the Chupacabra and the 2202, I wouldn’t trade either one for anything in their classes. You can also order them with custom appointments installed. I had a buffered loop put in the 2202 as well as a choke. Both of these amps can go down to bedroom volume or very loud. These are high quality amps with point to point wiring that can be kept going forever.

4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I would not go JCM 2000 any version anymore. I have one and I think the new 100 would be fine.

I have the Origin 50 too and through my EVH 412 it thrives on that ERA.

Marshmellow mentioned the SC800 with the Hot Mod V2? Phenomenal. I have the Lynch Mod version. Both are stellar.

The Origin would do it readily. So would the new 100 DSL's. So would the SC 800's with our mods.I

I'd go Origin 50H. What speakers? Mildly boost with an OD pedal. It loves that classic era.

5. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Some great amp suggestions. Speaker wise, I would recommend a 1965 cab. A little hard to find, but these medium sized 4x10 cabs sound VERY close to my 4x12s at about half the physical size and weight. I don't remember the last time I hauled a 4x12 to a gig, the 4x10s do the job and are so much easier to move. The 1966 cab is the same size but is a 2x12 cab. I have a couple 1966 cabs but they stay home. For me, something about 4 speakers just is the magic spot.

6. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Awesome amps, looooonnngggg wait for build and delivery now.

Crikey likes this.
  7. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Add 500 to your budget and take your pick of all the marshall clones they handwire

8. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

I went thru a ABB phase and saw them live with Warren and Derek. I remember reading about Duane using a different kind of speaker at the time. Something about aluminum cone caps or something like that. You would have to read up on the history of his gear.

Either way, my guess is he played with volume more than gain, which was normal back then. With two drummers and percussion behind you, plus a Hammond in your right ear, volume was a basic requirement.

That being said, I now have the SV20H and SV212 vertical and on high power, jumped and into the high input (with clean-ish eq) I can get some of his tones.

I also have the VM combo since it first came out and it can also get you close to the DA sound, but again, it's a volume thing, not a gain thing. Trying to get speakers to break-up in a good way (not flubby) without too much gain means it's gonna be loud.

The secret is in the power amp, not the preamp.

Hearing protection is probably a good idea....:agreed:

9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Really really easy!! I even did it. Just a 250k pot and I didn't even need extra wire. If you like the change, then you have to drill a hole in back panel.

MatFnEhUK likes this.
  10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Your post just made me think of something. Since you have an Origin, and the Lynch Mod, have you asked David if the Lynch Mod (or Hot Mod V2) would work in the Origin? Might be interesting to try, if it would.

OriginOfTheSpecies and Kelia like this.
  11. solarburnDSL50

He's working with Marshall on it.

As of now? I tried it and it does not work. In this amp.

12. tresmarshallz

tresmarshallz Well-Known Member

I would second the vote on the Origin 50, I just picked one up and I love it. I think it would do well with the types of bands you mentioned, obviously would require a hefty boost to get the harder rock. It has that old school Marshall sparkle and chime in spades to my ears. Much more so than any JCM 2000 series I owned....used to have a DSL50 and DSL100 back in the day. I always wanted the green channel on the DSl to be what the Origin 50 is!

scozz and Maggot Brain like this.
  13. solarburnDSL50

I'm hoping we get a throttle for this amp.

I just love it's old school tone. Seriously! Makes me want to rock!:lol:

Congratz bud!

scozz and ricksdisconnected like this.
  14. tresmarshallz

tresmarshallz Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe, that is cool we both have the Origin....we both used to have Joey Voltage modded JMP's then I got rid of mine, wondering if you still have yours? I got rid of a Peavey 6505 to fund the Origin 50, good riddance the the 6505, the origin is way more authentic marshall than I ever thought I would get for $500

Maggot Brain and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  15. solarburnDSL50

Yeah my friend. I love this amp. I have other amps...that sit. I have 2 that I play all the time. The Origin 50 and the SC.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  16. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I'll add again that the Origin is an incredible option if you want old school Marshall powertube distortion. I have the O20c and with the medium to low output you can get the powertube saturation at managble volumes. I have the VM 2266H and while it gets that classic Marshall tones it has to be LOUD to get the powertubes cooking.

My favorite aspect of my Origin is that sweet powertube crunch and grind at realistic in house volumes... I'm not talking TV volume but definitely not rattle the house to the ground volume either. Also on high 20 watt output this little 1x10 gets crazy loud.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  17. Highroller54

Highroller54 Member

Went and checked out the 2009 JCM2000 DSL 100 that's was for sale near me. Head is aggressive as hell, and has a real brilliant clean I've never heard from a Marshall, real Fender type stuff.

Its got a sticker on the rear from Wickam Audio. With just a few minutes of playing through the amp, I was getting tones from all different genre with just a twist of the guitar volume knob. I had to have it. So I walked away with the head, the MC412 cab, and a new looking in the box Digitech Jamman Stereo for $750.00. I don't think I did too bad.

The guy I bought it from has hardly used the amp, he bought it in 2011 from the original owner and put it in a closet for a day that never came. He's never done a thing to the amp, not even tubes, it has Savlana EL34's, not sure about the preamp tubes.

Give me a couple days to clean 10 plus years of crud off and I'll post some pic's.. Gonna order a tube set for it. The cab has the factory rockets in it. the cab doesn't sound all that bad at a reasonable volume, but throw some ass behind it and drop tune throws the cab into low end convulsions. LOL

The cab huh throw gas on it and light it on fire as far as I'm concerned. Now the search for a nice 4x12 or a 4x12 sounding 2x12. Post more in a couple days.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  18. solarburnDSL50

Sounds like you found your amp.:eddie:

19. Highroller54

Highroller54 Member

Yeah but it's not like a normal JCM, someone has done some tweaks to it, or Marshall made this one a little different, it has ton's more gain than any JCM I've ever played, and the cleans sparkle. With it wide open everything on 10, gain maxed out it close to dead silent until you crack the guitar volume. Almost no hiss at all.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  20. Highroller54

Highroller54 Member

The circuit boards look to be virgin. Can't see any work that's been done. It is a revision 20 main board, so we will see! After the thorough cleaning, I checked the bias. Its set hot at 100.1 and 100.2 and stable as a rock, after an hour of putting through it paces. When my new tubes show up and set the bias as per the plate voltage.

The preamp tubes are either stock Marshall labeled replacements or original. For some reason I though the power tubes where Tugsol, they are Savlana's. For now I'm happy, I'll hang on to the cab until I find what I want then I'll either sell it off or Sacrifice it to the guitar gods. I'll try and post some photo's. Have a nice day!