Need help with amp decision!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Highroller54, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Highroller54

Highroller54 Member

Hello all,

Growing up my youth was spent playing Allman Brothers type music through Marshall 4 hollers and JMP’s. Later in life I purchased a JCM2000 DSL 100 and was pretty happy with it in the mainstream band I played in. At 62 those days are gone, but I’ve been trying to fulfil the itch of the sound of a real Marshall & 4x12 Cab. An hour or two here and there would get me jollies (Allman Bro’s, Lynard Skynyrd, Molly hatchet, but also like Ozzy, Metallica, Thin Lizzy and such)! A one trick pony won't work, need the guitar volume control realm! I’ve tried the DSL series, in-fact own two DSL 40c’s, but they’ve been unreliable and lack luster in the sound category ( tiered of spending money on repairs. There’s a guy near me that has a 2009 JCM 2000 DL 100 for sale, but its not in the greatest of condition. Suppose to go check it out on Weds. So to my question, if you had a limited budget of say $1000.00 what would you buy to satisfy the itch, a used JCM2000, a new origin 50, or something else.

Thank you for the help!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

A used SC20 for around $800, and a Legendary Tones Hot Mod V2 for $200. I don't consider that combination a 1 trick pony, at least for a player that knows how use a guitar's controls. My 2 cents

3. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

@Highroller54 If you can score that JCM 2000 DSL 100 at a good price, DO IT. A fantastic amp that can cover so much tonal ground at low volume and still packs a good punch. The amp will cover all the tonal grounds you want : Allman Bros on the Green Channel to Metallica on the Red Channel. Get yourself an OD pedal to fine tune to your liking. You'll be able to scratch that itch and never look back.

*Speaking as an owner of a DSL 100 & DSL 50*

4. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Is that enough amp to pair with a 4x12 he mentioned?

5. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I push a 4x10 and a 2x12 with my SV20H so yeah, it's likely more than enough for a 4x12, especially with greenbacks.

6. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

SV is a different animal.

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Or a DSL HR model. Different voicing than the 40Cs OP has tried amd very versatile. Not sure why the DSL40s didnt cut it should be perfect for that albeit likely with a speaker swap. A 100H would be perfect IMO.,

dslman and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yes, I run mine through a 4x12, and I've also run it through two 4x12's.

9. LargeBoxSmallBox

LargeBoxSmallBox Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting video. Every time this guy switches to the JCM 800, it sounds better to me. The DSL just sounds...lesser. Sort of like a 'cheaper' amp. The 2203 sounds like the real deal.

This is my own opinion, not trying to step on anyone here, but I would not pay for a JCM 2000 of any kind. Been there, done that, it went down the road.

All that said, I would agree with @marshallmellowed, the SC20 (or as some others would say, the SV20) would be what I would look at, if I was looking for a lower wattage, killer sounding rock amp. And heck yeah, either can drive a 4x12 like they stole it! (Honorable mention, if you could find a good deal on a Vintage Modern, you could likely have what you wanted and then some.) :2c:

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

He's got them sounding pretty close in this video, very close. I think the Dsl is a bit fizzy tho, and doesn't quite have the "balls" that the 800 has.

11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I too am with the above on the
    SC 20, will get you all that your looking for, and with pedals the Origin is another option.
    Good luck with your tone quest !!
    Cheers
    Mitch

12. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

I've owned the Origin, the SV20H and the SC20H. The Origin is sold. The SV20H is for sale, and the SC20H is my #1 amp. Love it. Between PreAmp and MV, plus guitar controls of course, can go beautifully clean to beautiful Marshall 70's medium gain. Unless you need 50W or more, the SC20H is an excellent choice, IMHO.

13. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

This video almost makes me wish I’d bought one of these instead of my JVM.
    I’ll have one someday !

note he pushes it with a pedal a bit, but he does that with his big amp also.

14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Do neg feedback mod on JVM and it can be really close to hotrod 800.

15. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the JVM forum site is gone, I’ve got no idea how that one is done or the cost to have it done.

16. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

cool amp

17. NoelH

NoelH Active Member

I tried to like to Origin. I just don't. It felt lifeless to me.
    I'm going to say the absolute heretical statement at a Marshall Forum: I think a Ceriatone 2204 would be really good from the sounds you say you like. Heck, a 50 watt handwired Mk II MV for about $1100 total. OK, I know I better duck...

dslman likes this.
  18. LargeBoxSmallBox

LargeBoxSmallBox Well-Known Member

I agree, scozz, they are not too far apart, but there is just something missing with the DSL, after hearing or playing the 2203. The part that blows my mind is that they were able to put that something into the SC20, although at less power. You will never have the thump of a 100-watt Marshall in a 20-watt amp, but there is serious magic in the SC20. It is definitely the real deal.

scozz likes this.
  19. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The single channel 800 circuit responds well to volume knob riding.

The SV will too, if you run it through an attenuator and crank it.

Speakers: Dicky and Duane used alnicos. You probably want Marshall G12 Vintages if you are going to run four ceramic speakers in a 4x12. They work for Warren. The 1960 A/B Vintage has these. A GB might get the extra grit for Duane, but for Dicky's tone you will likely need a real Alnico or at least a V30.

20. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

A lot of great suggestions, I'd say in your price range the Studio Classic 20 is a great choice but I also HIGHLY suggest to take a look at the Vintage Modern 2266 or 2466. It's got JTM/JMP flavor and in high dynamic range can get into JCM800 territory.

If you grew up playing 4 holers then the SV20 will be very familiar and hard to beat. The Origin series undoubtedly gets you in the ballpark of the early 4 holers.

All of these can be found around your budget.

JamminJeff likes this.