Need Help Wiring 2 Button Footswitch with LED

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
Hi All,

Currently I have a Marshal style 2 button footswitch.
On the left is Clean/OD1 and right is OD2.
Without any buttons pressed, the amp is clean. Once Clean/OD1 is pressed, the LED comes on and the amp is in basic overdrive. From there, clicking OD2 will engage OD2 and now both LED's are on.
OD2 will only turn on when Clean/OD1 is on.
My issue is that I can press OD2 on/off and the LED comes on even though Clean/OD1 is off. This does not engage OD2 since Clean/OD1 needs to be on, just the LED turns on/off.
I want it wired so that unless Clean/OD1 is engage the LED for OD2 turns on.

I found this diagram, but unless I get the parts and try it, I won't know.

p-h471-led_functional_diagram.png

dinky

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you make this change, OD2 could be "on" but unlit because you are on clean.
If you hit the OD1, won't it just jump right to OD2 because it's already on and you don't know?
Or am I missing something?

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
OD1 switches between clean and the amps overdrive.

OD2 engages an internal FET boost.

But OD2 won't turn on unless OD1 is engaged. The FET boost is supposed to give OD1 extra boost, sort of like using a Boss SD-1 to boost.

The switches work correctly. The thing I'm trying to figure out is how not to have the LED for OD2 on when OD1 is not engaged.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OD1 switches between clean and the amps overdrive.

OD2 engages an internal FET boost.

But OD2 won't turn on unless OD1 is engaged. The FET boost is supposed to give OD1 extra boost, sort of like using a Boss SD-1 to boost.

The switches work correctly. The thing I'm trying to figure out is how not to have the LED for OD2 on when OD1 is not engaged.
Yes, that's what I thought.
So my scenario is, OD2 is on, but OD1 is off an you are on clean.
If you hit the OD1 button when OD2 is already on, do you just jump from clean to OD2?
If you disable the OD2 light when you are on clean, you wont know if you are going to get OD1 or OD2.

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
"If you hit the OD1 button when OD2 is already on, do you just jump from clean to OD2?"
Yes....but keep in mind, when the LED for OD2 is on, unless OD1 is on, OD2 (the FET boost) will not engage. That's just the way it's wired.

I'm not thinking about disabling the light on OD2...I want to wire OD2 through the OD1 switch but not sure how.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue is that I can press OD2 on/off and the LED comes on even though Clean/OD1 is off. This does not engage OD2 since Clean/OD1 needs to be on, just the LED turns on/off.
I want it wired so that unless Clean/OD1 is engage the LED for OD2 turns on.
I'm not thinking about disabling the light on OD2...I want to wire OD2 through the OD1 switch but not sure how.
I understand what the switches and LEDs are doing, but I can't figure out what you want them to do.
The schematic above is for a generic 2 button switch, but you are describing PEDL-10013 (PED802) for Valvestate amps.