Need help identifying this build design

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by dsimms, Mar 5, 2021.

1. dsimms

dsimms New Member

Can someone help me identify which Marshall this build would be closest to. It's a custom build by an experienced builder and I've always wondered if it's close to or a clone of a Marshall. If it's not close to any Marshall, I'll move this to the "Other Amps" section. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Move it to the Workbench section and see what they say. This is definitely an unusual design. The layout of the preamp tubes, the point to point wiring on what might be the tone stack. Two EL34’s, three preamp tubes and a solid state rectifier and the filtering is reminiscent of a 50 watt 2204 or 1987 style Marshall but it’s missing a choke that that is common in many Marshall 50 watt designs.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  3. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

what are the color bands on the two left-most resistors along with the ones connected to the pi cathodes? first stage 1uf cathode bypass cap second stage unbypassed. 100k plate resistors throughout besides 82k on one of the phase inverter plates. if you're able to sketch out a schematic that could be helpful (especially with the tone control)

4. Copperheadroads

Copperheadroads Active Member

That reminds me of Trainwreck express layout