Need Help Identifying a 1960B Cab

w201

Reaction score
Hi All,

Need some help Identifying a 1960B cab I'm interested in buying. I'm not very knowledgeable with 4x12 cabs, this would be my first one. Don't want to overpay. They're asking $450. Here's a few pics. According to the seller, it has vintage 30 speakers but he doesn't know what year it's from. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks dudes!
vfU6ejF.jpg

nGMCTxB.jpg

jhullin

Reaction score
If you zoom in on the serial # on the jack plate, the first four numbers after the letter M look like 2000. It's no guarantee as that could be a replacement part but there will be similar stickers inside the cab. I'd probably buy that for 450, or maybe haggle a bit less.

w201

Reaction score
I'm surprised you could read that. I couldn't make it out. I'll ask the seller if he can tell me the serial number. Anyway, thanks for the info, man. Exactly what I needed to know.

jhullin

Reaction score
I'm surprised you could read that. I couldn't make it out. I'll ask the seller if he can tell me the serial number. Anyway, thanks for the info, man. Exactly what I needed to know.

No prob. Good luck!

BygoneTones

Reaction score
The grill and logo are unusual. Post some photos of the inside of the cab if you can. It's the best way to date them. Woodwork doesn't lie, but the other parts - tolex, grill, etc can all be changed and swapped around.

You might have a retolexed vintage basketweave cab there.

jhullin

Reaction score
Logo and piping does seem odd. Gold or smoke stained? :) Grill looks like regular black to me.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
450 these days is as good a price as you can expect to get and that's for a cabinet that's nowhere as nice as the one you are looking at.

Buy it without hesitation and give it a good cleaning when you get it home.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The logo isn't on straight. The grill cloth is not original, at the very least. But still it's a good deal.

w201

Reaction score
Hi all- just saw these additional comments. That's definitely cause for concern, even tough I talked the seller down to $350. I guess I'll talk to the seller and see what he can tell me. Will post back

jhullin

Reaction score
Hi all- just saw these additional comments. That's definitely cause for concern, even tough I talked the seller down to $350. I guess I'll talk to the seller and see what he can tell me. Will post back
Buy that cab!!

w201

Reaction score
I know right! For $350...I asked for pictures of the insides, but he's an old guy and he's got the cab in storage so I don't if that's going to happen, so I might just have to pull the trigger.

jhullin

Reaction score
For that price I'd buy it. If you're going to pick it up take a screwdriver remove the jackplate and peek inside.

w201

Reaction score
So I spoke to the guy and he says I can stop by later and take off the back cover, or the jack plate since that's easier. Thanks my, dude. Will post back later

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I plan to pick up a cheap borescope camera with a tip that's small enough to stick through a jack. That way I can check out what speakers are in any cabinet without having to unscrew anything.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, don't take off the jack plate. The upper left corner is just asking for an excuse to fall off.

Shermanator

Reaction score
Its just a modern 1960b with aftermarket v30s and the apparent cosmetic issues;nothing fancy recovered or anything.

Latest posts