>

Need help finding an alternative to the jcm 2000 dsl 100 please

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Leonard Neemoil, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Leonard Neemoil

Leonard Neemoil Active Member

Hi folks.

I love the sound of the jcm2000 dsl100 but I don't like the idea of the run away bias and main board meltdown.

I've tried the new one that doesn't have that problem but it has a sound gap when switching channels and I can't deal with it.

I've also tried the jvm210h. Got it sounding really close to the jcm but it also suffers from the sound gap when switching channels.

Can anyone thats played the old jcm100s recommend a 100 watt alternative that seamlessly switches channels and sounds like the old jcm100?

Brand doesn't matter as long as it has that raunchy percussive, attack on the high end when using the distortion channel and playing around the 12th fret on the g,b, and e strings. Similar to the rolling stones sympathy for the devil solo. I'm playing guitar straight in, no boost or anything.

Price point is around $1000 US. Suggestions up to $1500 are welcome.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Please help.

2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

JVM HJS might work for you. Only available used, and probably not for $1500. I'd look at the JMD:1 100w head. It's a hybrid (solid state modeling preamp/tube power amp), but great amp for around $500 used. Don't recall any gaps in switching presets, and more versatile than a JVM or DSL.

3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

6100 is the king. IMO way better the 2000 series.

4. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Or swap the board of to a new one... I've yet to hear anyone having an issue with the replacement boards..
    Proaudioservice in uk used to sell the pcb for little over 100£

5. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Bias issue is a quick fix by a competent tech

6. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

This is true, though the board meltdown thing is pretty inherent to any modern valve amp - eventually. Marshall and Mesa (and probably many others) have had some runs of really poor quality boards here and there, so it's a bit of luck unless you're lucky enough to find exact information on your particular revision of a certain board over a long period of time. Despite what @marshallmellowed said, I wouldn't rule out a DSL100. Not the best boards out there, but at least they're fairly cheap. Channel switching there has a tiny gap, but better than some others. I find the DSL's very versatile, myself. :shrug:

7. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

8. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

It’s pretty basic. Marshall didn’t use fiberglass boards in the beginning.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  9. Leonard Neemoil

I'll be looking into these. Thanks folks!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Just get your DSL looked at and fixed by a competent tech. :shrug:

11. Leonard Neemoil

We used to have a great, cheap tech locally but I haven't needed anything done in a long time so I have to see if he's still in business. He was getting up there in age last time.

But, aside from that, I've read too many mixed messages on the subject. Some have said that even after the repair they had run away bias again. Even with the new board.

So I really don't know.

I already returned the 1 that had the meltdown but I do have another 1 here that I may keep. I actually bought it as a backup for the first. Though I wasn't expecting meltdown on the first within a week and a half! So now it really has me doubting that model completely. Although it's the best sounding amp I've ever played through so I may take the chance of that tech is still in business.

Decisions, decisions...

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Theres nothing wrong with the backup right? Just play it and dont worry about it. Have you tried one of the new DSL100HR heads, I think they are probably the best version of the DSL tonally and functionally, read up on it and consider getting one. The old DSLs youre working with will always need regular maintenance I think is more of a hassle than anything.

Karl Brake and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Leonard Neemoil

Yeah I don't mind typical tube amp maintenance but the meltdown thing bothers me.

The backup amp is working just fine and sounds killer.

Because of my fear of meltdown I ordered the new hr. They really fixed the clean channel nicely. Not crazy about the drive channel but I got it sounding real close to the backup dsl. Swapping a couple resistors could get me closer according to my research... even if it causes the cleans to suffer I wouldn't care due to the supposed reliability.

Only problem is that it has a gap when switching channels that the dsl h doesn't have so I'm returning it.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. I was really hoping the hr would've solved my problem but oh well.

I think the backup dsl I have is a 2016...so that's fairly new and I may just keep it but I am looking into all of the suggestions I've been offered.

Here's another thread I started about these amps if you're interested: https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/dsl100hr-vs-jvm-and-sound-gap-when-changing-channels.121789/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    pedecamp and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I, along with many many others, relied on a JCM2000 DSL for years and years. I think you are overthinking it.

15. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

Friedman :hmm:

gregr likes this.
  16. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

As I've often pointed out, there is no countdown timer on this type of construct. It's safe to say that RoHS/lead-free solder on boards shortens the MTBF in some/many/a number of cases, especially when large temperature changes are part of the operating cycle. Badly constructed boards or boards made of poor quality material tend to exhibit issues earlier. That said, if you buy a DSL and it dies of a conductive board after 5 - 10 years, I wouldn't be too miffed. If you ask me, they have an excellent price/quality ratio. I use them myself and take some precautionary measures to decrease the chances of them dying an untimely death. To be clear, I'm not pointing a finger at Marshall - just the other day I had a VOX open, and the two valve PCB's in the bottom were permanently warped by the heat - sometime I'll re-wire that section point to point and with decent solder (it's my own, so I have the luxury of worrying when I see fit).

I wouldn't have even mentioned the whole thing were it not for OP's remark:

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

The 2000 is the only DSL I liked. Maybe you can get a complete new board made for it. Look to see if you can have a point to point board made. If you want a new amp, I would look at Ceriatone. I have 2 of their amps and love them, Nik will build you the amp of your dreams. Call Nik to see what he recommends to match the 2000. All their amps are hand made and most are point to point so they can last forever. Check out some of the British series and the hot rod Plexi’s.
    http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/hot-rodded-plexi/

18. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Replacement boards used to be available here and there (read: eBay) for 'acceptable' prices. Rebuilding a DSL circuit point to point? Well, that's ambitious... not saying it can't be done, but it would be a pain.

Leonard Neemoil likes this.
  19. Leonard Neemoil

I'm not worried about 5 or 10 years considering the price. I'm worried about 2 weeks like the last one. I think this one is a 2016. Just bought it used and I'd be surprised if it's ever seen a gig. Looks brand new... though the 1 that melted down did too...

I've been debating on keeping the chassis out of the shell and putting a small fan blowing on the board to help reduce temp fluctuations.

Do you think that would help to extend it's life?

I wrecked my wrist a decade ago so I'm not gigging and the amp isn't going anywhere since I do have other amps... good enough for jams with buddies just not as awesome as the dsl.

20. Leonard Neemoil

I think a ptp dsl would cost a bundle...I only have 1 ¼ of a bundle on hand. Lol. I don't really need that if he can build me a decent 2 channel clone that sounds like the dsl.

I'll definitely look into Ceriatone though. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Edit: I was in a hurry when I replied. I just glanced at their page and some of those amps look pretty interesting. I'm going to do a deep dive later. Thanks again!

GregM and Mitchell Pearrow like this.